Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an oops and need to repair a side GFX. Can't find Gel coat anywhere in san antonio. Checked both the major paint stores (gladwin and Colortone)

Are there any alternatives? I was told any 2K urethane primer-- but these where the guys who didn't know what gel coat was.. (gladwin)

I can always slather the resin thicker so strands wont come through but I've had better luck with a true layer build on repairs.

I can get evercoat feather fill G2, but have never used it. or should I just roll my luck with ordering some gel coating through a website like eastwood.

Any recommendations for a good product are appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
You should find out if your car is smc fiberglass. I believe smc started in 84 on up, if your car is smc you need a special smc resin not regular fiberglass resin. Smc is smooth on both sides that's how you can tell. I believe the glass cloth is the same just the resin is different. search and call evercoat they make smc products. also seal up any cracks you have fast if water gets in cracks over a long time you have to grind out farther to reach good fiberglass to bond to.. also to make repair last don't forget to fix any cracks underneath too if you can get to them. Good Luck Tim

·
Registered
543 Posts
For Gel Coat try a Boat shop.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
You should find out if your car is smc fiberglass. I believe smc started in 84 on up, if your car is smc you need a special smc resin not regular fiberglass resin. Smc is smooth on both sides that's how you can tell. I believe the glass cloth is the same just the resin is different. search and call evercoat they make smc products. also seal up any cracks you have fast if water gets in cracks over a long time you have to grind out farther to reach good fiberglass to bond to.. also to make repair last don't forget to fix any cracks underneath too if you can get to them. Good Luck Tim
He is trying to repair a ground effect. Those most always are made of normal fiberglass.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep standard glass. got the glass part covered front and back. tried a boat shop for the gel coat.. only had 5 gallon quantities!!

guess it's time to order online.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've used body filler but it seems to always stain through or show the lines due to shrinkage or something. If I thin it and use it like glaze it won't hold after a while in the sun.. I know getting the mix ratio is crucial for the amines and cynites to allow the dissimliar componenets to not hold chemicals -- but I'm afraid I'm not practiced enough at this art to adjust from the given ratios..

Plus, The area i'm covering is a rather large fill with some build up for rounding the edges and I don't like using that much bondo down the entire length of the panel just to cover errant fibers. Its either that or try to really build up the resin part, but that's hard to if you use straight resin.. the kitty hair stuff works a lot easier on thick builds.

I've ordered some quarts which will be enough to do the side piece and my rear. I figure using the gel coat and some feather fill with a sealer coat should get me a good base for the color. It worked for me pretty well last time.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
If you Glass, then grind, then use a good filler, prime, sand, prime, sand, seal, then paint should not have a problem. I have had to fix the front spoiler on the wife '84 twice in the last 9 years (steep driveways are a bitch)

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
basically what I'm doing.. just hate to regrind and putty the entire length of the side GFX.. Took a curb with it and dug in pretty deep the entire length while cracking it in the center:thud:

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
basically what I'm doing.. just hate to regrind and putty the entire length of the side GFX.. Took a curb with it and dug in pretty deep the entire length while cracking it in the center:thud:
Look at the bright side, you can take the part off and work on it at a level that won't cramp your back plus you don't have to worry about overspray

The last incident on my wifes '84 she was being directed at a church carshow and the spoiler "dug in" when the front tire dropped into a rut and broke it into 3 pieces it took me a week (couple hours a night) to re-glue before I could fill and sand but it turned out perfect Just remember you do not need to remove all the paint just the areas for re-fiber glassing

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
remove all the paint just the areas for re-fiber glassing
which in this case is most dam near all of it. And yes.. thank the goodness this unbolts!

One thing for you to think about next time you repair the front end. i took some aluminum carpet thresholds and screwed/glued them to the underside of my front spoiler where it constantly rubs. they take a beating but it gives a lot more stuff to rub than breaking through the glass after a few good driveway assaults.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts