Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 73 had been painted three times and has plenty of body damage (some were repaired badly), we tried some different techniques for removing paint, but the most successful way was with captain lees chemical stripper, we would do a panel at time and rinse thoroughly worked great, body is all the way to glass and now we will proceed with repairs. i was told by a corvette shop that the car needed to be gel coated, no primer would stick with bare glass, ive read alot about repainting corvettes and had not seen or heard of this, is this true, how is gel coat applied, or is there another option?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
my 73 had been painted three times and has plenty of body damage (some were repaired badly), we tried some different techniques for removing paint, but the most successful way was with captain lees chemical stripper, we would do a panel at time and rinse thoroughly worked great, body is all the way to glass and now we will proceed with repairs. i was told by a corvette shop that the car needed to be gel coated, no primer would stick with bare glass, ive read alot about repainting corvettes and had not seen or heard of this, is this true, how is gel coat applied, or is there another option?
Corvettes never had gel-coat. Use a high-build primer-surfacer like "Slick-sand". You could also start with an epoxy primer, followed by any good urethane primer-surfacer. Follow the directions explicitly!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...i was told by a corvette shop that the car needed to be gel coated, no primer would stick with bare glass...
Find another shop.

Factory panels were not gelcoated and you should not need it. Any good quality primer/surfacer will stick to bare fiberglass provided the bare panels have been correctly prepped.

At the factory, bare panels were bonded together to form the body; were scuff sanded; may have gotten a putty rub; were sanded a time or two between primer coats, then got color coats.

No gelocat and no out of the ordinary fiberglass panel prep before primer coats.

:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts