Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As being truly my father's son i have always done my own car maintenance and most repairs. Having a used 96 camaro i would make sure to take good care of it and stayed on top of oil changes, air filters, breaks, etc... However, I did go a little over board when i started changing the oil every 1,500 miles.
My question is this; being the car men that we all are do we we just sit by and let our car computer tell us when to change the oil or do we let our patriarchal instincts take over and override this technology?
What do you guys think? not for track driving, i mean just regular street and highway driving. And by regular i of course mean fast and aggressive.
Should i let the car tell me when to service it or do i till it when it needs it?

Sincerely,
Bewildered in Brooklyn.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Well, I did my first oil change at 3,000 miles (was at 62% on DIC) and I'm sure it was a little premature. However, as much as I wanted to follow the computer I just couldn't let it go. I'll probably change it every 5,000 miles from now on even though with synthetic oil & new technology I'm sure it could go longer. I know alot of people say just follow the DIC but for my own peace of mind I'll go with 5,000 mile changes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Really when it comes down to it, its all about how clean you want your engine to be. Synthetic technology has gotten pretty good, but still doesn't prevent oil from getting dirty. So changing the oil frequently is never a bad thing. The synthetics detergents and dispersents and polymers do a very good job at cleaning the engine. So again, its all about how clean you want your engine to be. ;)

·
Registered
475 Posts
The main point is that you get to use the best products for maintenance. There are however certain things left best to the shop, especially one that deals with Corvettes. For instance, how will you know when you need an alignment or be able to read/reflash your computer. Cars have become more complicated so beyond oil changes and grease jobs (yes, on the Z51) and air filters, there's no too much you can do unless you are fully equiped.. And don't forget that when you service your car at the dealer, this helps validate your waranty as they cannot say that the failure was due to lack of maintenance.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Our concern with changing oil and filter no longer than 3000 miles stems from wanting to get the maximum engine life. Oil at that time was cheap insurance. But with 100,000 drive train warranties and 40 to 80 dollar oil changes, (even if you do it your self oil and filter (C6z 8qts) $41 and an our of my time comes to around $70)

Do I change my own oil. Yes only because I enjoy doing it. There is no cost savings involved. Do I follow the computers recommendations. Yes I find it reacts to hard driving and will shorten the time. Doing other wise is a waste of money in my opinion.

The only other way to considerer would be to have your oil analyzed every 3000 miles or so.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Our concern with changing oil and filter no longer than 3000 miles stems from wanting to get the maximum engine life. Oil at that time was cheap insurance. But with 100,000 drive train warranties and 40 to 80 dollar oil changes, (even if you do it your self oil and filter (C6z 8qts) $41 and an our of my time comes to around $70)

Do I change my own oil. Yes only because I enjoy doing it. There is no cost savings involved. Do I follow the computers recommendations. Yes I find it reacts to hard driving and will shorten the time. Doing other wise is a waste of money in my opinion.

The only other way to considerer would be to have your oil analyzed every 3000 miles or so.
You might have to change it a little sooner......does your computer react to rocks and gravel and wild track driving:laughing: :laughing: How's it going Ivan....maybe I'll see you at Carlisle

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I drive around 3k to 4k a year and change it once a year:D

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
i take it to the stealership and just change it when the milage on the sticker gets close to matching the miles on the car:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts