Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 1968 convertible for sale. One owner, needs top and paint. I have no idea how many miles are on the engine or even what engine option it sports. he's asking 15,000 for it. What do ya'll experts think? Too much? Just right?

Also, what are the inherent problems with the '68? I'm really looking hard for a 68-72 convertible. And I've got an 01 coupe for sale, if anyone's interested.

Jim.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Inherent problems, as you know, are totally relative to the condition of the car.

With the miles unknown... and if it needs as much work as you say, odds are it needs even more work than you see.

Personally I would run away!!! FAST!!!

Here is a 1969 conv't on www.vettefinders.com. It is $17,000 ... and look at the condition!

http://www.vettefinders.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cardetail&id=5651&g=3

"White 1969 Corvette Stingray convertible, with hard
and soft tops. 350/350 L46, side mounted exhaust.
Matching numbers, original paint, low miles (498xx),
always garaged/covered. Runs great!"

If you are dead set on learning more about the '68, here are the block codes....

1968 BLOCK CODES

A-January
B-February
C-March
Etc. Through
J-October
K-November
L-December Block Cast #'s
3914678 - 327
3916321 - 427
3935439 - 427

Engine Suffix Codes
HE .. 327 ..300 ... Roch. Q-jet & ManualTrans.
HO . 327...300 ... Roch. Q-jet &THM
HP .. 327..300 ... Roch. Q-jet, A/C, P/S, Man Trans.
HT .. 327..350 ... Roch. Q-jet, Spec. Cam & 4-Speed
IL ... 427...390 ... Roch. Q-jet, Hyd. Lifters & 4-Speed
IQ . . 427..390 ... Roch. Q-jet, Hyd. Lifters & THM
IM ... 427 .400 ... L36 Engine w/Holley 3x2, 4-Speed
10 ... 427 ..400 ... L36 Enginew/Holley3x2BC &THM
IR ... 427 ..435 ... Holley 3x2BC, Mech. Lftrs, 4-Speed
IU ... 427 .435 ... L71 Enginew/Alum. Heads &4-Speed
IT ... 427 .430 ... Holley 1x4, Heavy-Duty Engine, M22

4-Speed Note: Carboration is either Rochester Quadra-Jet
1x4; or Holley 1x4 or 3x2.

M22 is Heavy-Duty 4-Speed rans; THM means Turbo Hydra-Matic Trans (M40);
AIC = Air Conditioning (C60); P/S = Power Steer (N40).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
one owner, though... What should I look for?

The guy is the original owner, and drove it daily for two years and then the car was a weekender only for the next twent-seven years. After that, less than a hundred miles a week were dialed in. I know, original owner don't mean squat, but I'd think somebody who kept his car for that long (obviously a Vette lover, member of a Corvette club) probably took care of it.

I may go look at it tomorrow. What should I look for?

thanks.

Jim.

·
Extra Crispy
5,119 Posts
I would say we need more details. Like how many miles? Original motor? Been wrecked? Options? Why is he selling it? I would say if you dead set for it, get a mechanic to go over it? .....not his mechanic. Spending a little money to see what the mechanic thinks maybe your best investment in the long run. Buying, then finding out you have a major repair is very dissapointing. Good luck!

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
B66vette said:
I would say we need more details. Like how many miles? Original motor? Been wrecked? Options? Why is he selling it? I would say if you dead set for it, get a mechanic to go over it? .....not his mechanic. Spending a little money to see what the mechanic thinks maybe your best investment in the long run. Buying, then finding out you have a major repair is very dissapointing. Good luck!
:agree:

The devil is in the details. Have someone who is VERY critical go over the car. The benefits are that you know almost everything wrong with the car... and you can use those things to negotiate a better price!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
digitalcorvettes is the best Vette Forum

Ya'll are right.
I don't need to get so itchy to get a new car...
I'll definitely bring somebody along who really knows what the smell they're looking for as far as defects go. I'm a pretty knowledgeable guy, but when you want something real bad, sometimes it's best to get some un-biased eyes on it.

BTW, this is probably the BEST Corvette message board/community that there is.

Jim.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Re: digitalcorvettes is the best Vette Forum

01c5 said:
BTW, this is probably the BEST Corvette message board/community that there is.

Jim.
Jim, mighty nice of you to say!:excited:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
:agree:

The devil is in the details. Have someone who is VERY critical go over the car. :

I deal with alot of cars and when I'm looking to get something to play with I bring my brother-in-law or dad just so I can't convince myself the car isn't better than it really is.It's easy to look at the good parts and gloss over the bad parts when you really want to buy.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It all depends on what you want to do. If you are looking to do a factory correct NCRS restoration the 68 is probably one of the hardest to do. This was the first year of the C3 and there were many one of a kind parts and many on line production changes. Many of the parts are vitrually impossible to find even if you have the money to pay crazy prices for them.

If you want to have a fun driver it will work fine. The engine is a 327 carried over from the mid years. Some of the parts are a little tough to come by cheaply but the engine is a good one. This model was pretty much pre pollution controls so the horsepower is there but you may have issues passing inspection in your state if it is one with strict emissions laws. Many ststes exempt older vehicles but not all.

Check rear frame kickups in front of rear wheels for rust. Can be a real problem for C3's. For the price and the stated condition it is a fair deal if there are no hidden issues. Steel bumper cars are great fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts