Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,

i lived 2 and a half years in texas,as a member of the german airforce air defence school in el paso,since then i about 6 times for recreational "reasons" in the united states,for example: some hot-rod meetings on the west coast and disney-world with daughter and wife.
until l2 years ago i owned a 65 convertible in white/red inside,4speed manual,hardtop,all matching numbers, - but because of trouble with business
i was forced to sell.
hopefully in autumm this year trouble will be gone and i will be able to watch out for a nice c6 , preferably a z06 ;-)) ,otherwise a stock c6 has to be brought to 500 PS(hp) to reach 320 km/h on the autobahn( i am familiar with 290 km/h because of my suzuki gsx-r 1000 superbike )

have a nice time everybody and live fast

my e-mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
albo said:
hi there,

i lived 2 and a half years in texas,as a member of the german airforce air defence school in el paso,since then i about 6 times for recreational "reasons" in the united states,for example: some hot-rod meetings on the west coast and disney-world with daughter and wife.
until l2 years ago i owned a 65 convertible in white/red inside,4speed manual,hardtop,all matching numbers, - but because of trouble with business
i was forced to sell.
hopefully in autumm this year trouble will be gone and i will be able to watch out for a nice c6 , preferably a z06 ;-)) ,otherwise a stock c6 has to be brought to 500 PS(hp) to reach 320 km/h on the autobahn( i am familiar with 290 km/h because of my suzuki gsx-r 1000 superbike )

have a nice time everybody and live fast

my e-mail: [email protected]
Welcome to DC Albo!
The last time I was in Germany was 1969, I was stationed in Bamberg serving in the Army. It was a beautiful place and I loved going through the small country towns between Bamberg and Garmisch, loved the Zugspitze!

Are the autobahns still speed limit free? Man I would love to drive my Z06 on the autobahns over there for just one day, then I'd know if 198mph is the real limit of this car. :D

I hear it now cost a fortune to license, insure and drive a car there, is that true? What is the exchange rate and how much is a new Z06 selling for?
I remember when I was there I could buy a VW bug for about $1100 and a Porsche 911 for around $2000 and they would deliver it back in the states, isn't it amazing what a few years can do to prices? :laughing:

Get back into the black and stay out of the red, it's better for your family and easier to buy the toys you want! :thumbsup:

EFE Z06

·
Registered
9 Posts
EFE Z06 said:
Welcome to DC Albo!
The last time I was in Germany was 1969, I was stationed in Bamberg serving in the Army. It was a beautiful place and I loved going through the small country towns between Bamberg and Garmisch, loved the Zugspitze!

Are the autobahns still speed limit free? Man I would love to drive my Z06 on the autobahns over there for just one day, then I'd know if 198mph is the real limit of this car. :D

EFE Z06
Yep, there are parts of the Autobahn which are still speed limit free.
And yep, the C6 Z06 is not overrated by GM: it reaches 330-340 km/h on the head-up display, which is surely good for an actual 320 km/h (almost 200 mph).

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,451 Posts
Welcome to DC albo. I think every country should have a speed limit free autobahn:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Mad Max said:
Yep, there are parts of the Autobahn which are still speed limit free.
And yep, the C6 Z06 is not overrated by GM: it reaches 330-340 km/h on the head-up display, which is surely good for an actual 320 km/h (almost 200 mph).

Hi Mad Max,
Almost 200mph, how close? Did you actually do this, and if so, how did she feel at that speed? I know the wind drag must be tremendous at that speed, thanks!

EFE Z06

·
Registered
9 Posts
EFE Z06 said:
Hi Mad Max,
Almost 200mph, how close? Did you actually do this, and if so, how did she feel at that speed? I know the windrag must be tremendous, thanks!

EFE Z06
Hi EFE Z06,

I've done it several times, when traffic permits. When you push the Z in 5th gear long enough, you'll usually get HUD readings of over 330km/h (you have to divide the km/h by 1.609 to calculate the mph). The highest I've seen so far was 339 km/h, which would be almost 211 mph, BUT:

1) This is the HUD reading and not the actual speed. From what I've heard, there's an error of good 5%. Taking this into consideration, the 339 km/h reading would correspond to an actual speed of approx. 320 km/h or 199 mph (322 km/h or 200 mph if you take exactly 5%, but it seems that the error is slightly higher than 5%).

2) I cannot say how the wind was (direction, speed) and if the road was 100%, absolutely flat-level. These are just spontaneous, flat-out runs when traffic permits (I live less than an hour from Germany and travel there from time to time).

The car is factory original (so far...). For me, it feels secure at these speeds. My highly modified car is faster but much scarrier at such speeds.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Mad Max said:
Hi EFE Z06,
1) This is the HUD reading and not the actual speed. From what I've heard, there's an error of good 5%. Taking this into consideration, the 339 km/h reading would correspond to an actual speed of approx. 320 km/h or 199 mph (322 km/h or 200 mph if you take exactly 5%, but it seems that the error is slightly higher than 5%).
I've got an idea that matches your name Mad Max! :laughing:
Why not open your drivers window and stick an accurate velocity gauge out the window next time you're up around 200mph and see how it reads, that should give you a pretty good idea? :surprised Just make sure you have your seatbelt buckled so you don't get sucked out! :rolling:

EFE Z06
PS:
Maybe you could ask one of those German Police Officers with a VW bug to accompany you and see what his speedo reads? :laughing:

·
Registered
9 Posts
EFE Z06 said:
I've got an idea that matches your name Mad Max! :laughing:
Why not open your drivers window and stick an accurate velocity gauge out the window next time you're up around 200mph and see how it reads, that should give you a pretty good idea? :surprised Just make sure you have your seatbelt buckled so you don't get sucked out! :rolling:

EFE Z06
PS:
Maybe you could ask one of those German Police Officers with a VW bug to accompany you and see what his speedo reads? :laughing:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
By the way: "Mad Max" is just because all my past and present cars are black (like the Interceptor in the movie). No other reason... :devil:

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Hi Albo!

Back in the 70's I had 4 different BMW motorcycles because of their fine reputation. My wife and I visited Europe twice, and stayed in Munich during one of our trips. Beautiful country and the food is sooooooooo good!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
albo didn´t die

just very busy to get things straight

greetings any thanks for the answers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts