1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34924

12 ton jack stands #34924

normally $80 for two, now on sale for $55 for two
now theres not much at harbor freight thats well worth the price but these are low tech and well worth the cost, Ive had 6 in the shop for years, they are just the correct height at the lowest setting to work under your car and FAR AWAY MUCH LARGER AND STEADIER, more heavily built, than the comon jack stands most guys use

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
GV, at 34 lbs a piece, they better be beefy! And, I need new jackstands too.

Now it says they are 19-1/2'' to 30-1/8'' range. Does that mean my jack has to give me at least 19.5" of clearance to get the jackstands under?

·
Super Moderator
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
while IM not sure of the EXACT minimum clearance MY sears floor jacks DO allow me to jack the vette high enought to place the 12 ton stands if you place the jack either centered on the k members or the rear diff.
these are FAR stronger that flimsy crap most auto stores sell, place one on the frame at each corner and you can do most under car work like removing oil pans or installing headers, starters, oil changes, clutch replacements, brake jobs,ETC. just fine on the lowest setting.....use on LEVEL CONCRETE FLOOR or if your forced to work on dirt/asphalt, place on a MINIMUM of a 2 x 2 foot sq by 3/4" thick plywood base on asphalt, dirt,the plywood spreads the load to only about 1.5 lbs per sq inch (less than your weight walking in shoes) and makes it far less likely to tip than without the base,s in place
when I was forced to work in the yard when MUCH younger we used TWO sheets of 3/4" plywood , one under each set of wheels to support the jacks

you ONLY need to see the results of cheap flimsy jack stands failing or not taking the time to firmly support a car once to get the idea as to the dangers and emergency room results (if your not KILLED )to get the idea cheap stands are NOT A GOOD IDEA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.