Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:huh: 2005 Victory Red Vet. After reading and reading and polishing and more reading I've come to the conclusion that I cannot REMOVE the finest swirls after polishing. Using a PC I've used Pinnacle XMT #3 with a LC orange pad until all the scratches were uniform. I then went over it again with #3 with a white LC pad. Then Pinnacle XMT #2 with white LC pad several times which greatly reduced any haze. Then finished with Menzerna's Final Polish II with white pad and then again with the gray pad. After all this in the direct sun I can still see extremely fine scratches that were induced by polishing. They are unnoticable under normal lighting. No matter how many times I go over them with the FPII they do not seem to be getting any finer. I'm looking for a PERFECT mirror finish.

While I was able to remove 90% of the original swirl marks I am left with super tiny scratch marks. After doing much research I'm tempted to just glaze and seal with wax. Is there a finer polish then Menzerna FPII? My original goal was to remove the scratches, not just cover them up. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
43 Posts
It sounds like you're talking about micro-marring. It's very tough to get rid of on Vette clear because it's so hard. I would try going over it again with XMT #2 and a polishing pad on speed 5, and make sure you're working the polish fully.

Once you are happy with the finish, then move to FP II to fully burnish the finish.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You may want to think about getting a rotary or somebody that is proficient with a rotary to remove them. The ROB is a very mild tool and does not really do much in the way of paint correction. Basically all it does it round the edges of the scratches and swirl making it harder for the light to catch them and in essence harder to see. It can be done with the ROB but it WILL take a significant amount of time.

·
Caution: Car melts in Rain
4,151 Posts
i also got micro marring when I switched over to adams, you need to be careful using the PC it can really mess up your paint. if I were you go to the worst part on the car, put a dime size of adams SHR with the green pad and run over the main area, go slowly, like your putting a cat with pressure like your giving CPR, then take the orange pad with a 4:1 mix of revive polish and SHR, follow by white and just revive with butter at the end. I hope this helps, keep faith brother I have a black car and when I saw what i did in my garage with my flouresent lights to excentuate every scratch i wanted to cry, but i persisted and did the above regiement. I topped it all off with 2 new (I cant say yet ) products and finished up today, couldnt stop looking at my car very happy with the results. if you can post a pic please do, so I can compare to what I had. i hope this helped

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've found it!! The magic bullet! I ordered some Blackfire Finishing Polish and used it with a PC and a hi-gloss white pad and Ta-da! A perfect mirror finish. I think my CC is too hard for older technology stuff. The BF cut right through the minor hazing and left a perfect BRIGHT shine! There are absolutely NO swirls to be found! My new fav polish...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts