Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was going to pick it up today, but after he assembled it, had some rocker arm/spring clearance issues, so he is relieving the rockers (comp steel roller rockers).

Other than the EFI issues, which i am working on, I think I just need a water pump. I bought a Team G Weiend, but then was told that I would probably overheat at low RPMs. Might just put a stock water pump on it. Going to get the 4 core radiater boiled/sonic cleaned too I think, trying to avoid having to upgrade to an aluminum just yet. This radiator was brand new about 13 years ago.

I am working with a guy to make an adapter for my Edel. Proflo wiring harness to convert to a megasquirt ECM, but it will be awhile. I'm going to try to get it running with my existing proflo with the longer duration chip/48 lb injectors, ported intake first though. It might even run fine.

Dart Little M block: 4.125" bore, 4" stroke
Scat 4340 crank: Lightened some while balancing (no mallory)
p/n: 4-400-4000-6000
Main bearings: MS 8038H
Scat 7/16" I beam polished, 4340 rods, 6": p/n: 2-ICR6000
Rod bearings: CB663HN-1
Cam bearings: Dart kit 32000001
Mahle forged pistons: p/n: 000125120 (just came out, have a dish and the teflon stuff on the skirts for break in.

Machine work: Tplate; debur block; resurface block .003; brushed mains; weld intake; mill intake; port intake (Edelbrock proflo, based on Vic Jr.); balanced everything including flywheel and clutch.

Heads: AFR 210 Eliminator (CNC ported). Milled to 65cc: 10.5: 1 CR
Valve size is 2.05/1.6 if I remember right
Springs: Comp 933-16 intake/comp 4781-16 ex
Manley 13151-8 locks
Think the spring pressure is 210#/515# if I remember right. It was what comp cams recommended

Valvetrain:
Cam: Comp Cams Solid Roller: 250/258 Dur @ .050. 631/631 lift. 111 LS; 4 degree advance built in, .900 base circle
Comp cams pro magnum rollers (had to be clearanced for springs) 1.6
Cam lift is like 670/670 with the 1.6 rockers
Comp cams solid roller lifters
AFR stud girdles

SFI balancer

Hamburger 1088 oil pan (not sure it fits, but I'm told it will)
Billet flywheel
Centerforce dual friction 11" clutch
Weind Team G, Corvette Water pump (may have to get a different pump, will see).

They indicated the block was in better tolerance than some of them that they get, but you can see it was still off .003 on the deck.

Intake:
Also, the Edelbrock proflo intake was slightly cockeyed from the casting and had to be welded and then ported.
1000 cfm TB
48 lb Venom injectors running at 50 psi
A1000 Aeromotive pump with -8 send/-6 return braided line and sump
Working on a wiring harness adapter to upgrade to a Megasquirt harness/setup if this doesn't run right with the Edelbrock ECM, will see.

I'll take some pics after I get it. Valve covers aren't new, but they still look pretty good and intake isn't shiny new, but otherwise, the motor should look pretty good. Told him to just paint it Chevy orange.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd love to try my hand at building a big inch small block someday! Bux ain't there tho, money going into house upgrades, but it'll happen one of these days!

What block did you use?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
427 sb :thumbsup: sounds cool make sure to send pics. how do they get the 427 cu in out of a small block anyway? is it along the lines of 383 stroker but just bored out further? or is it more complicated than that? just curious.
my new motor should be here in another week or two,it started out as a 383 but is a 388 now :laughing: where is your motor comming from? mine has to travel from FLA.

good luck Kevin

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
427 sb :thumbsup: sounds cool make sure to send pics. how do they get the 427 cu in out of a small block anyway? is it along the lines of 383 stroker but just bored out further? or is it more complicated than that? just curious.

good luck Kevin
Here's a good reference for just that sort of thing. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
i'd like to hear from someone who has put one of these together from parts.

how hard is it?

All of them we have heard about have been purchased turn key and are in excess of 10 grand if i am not full of ****.

·
Registered
636 Posts
.............................................................. Told him to just paint it Chevy orange.
As all self respecting Chevy engines should be.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
636 Posts
How about Monacco orange? that is a chevy orange.
I assume that is an exterior color (correct me if I am wrong). A very clever reply, but unfortunately, wrong. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
i'd like to hear from someone who has put one of these together from parts.

how hard is it?

All of them we have heard about have been purchased turn key and are in excess of 10 grand if i am not full of ****.
Vettr just put an all aluminum 427 small block together himself. A really nice running motor.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I assume that is an exterior color (correct me if I am wrong). A very clever reply, but unfortunately, wrong. :laughing:
Yes it is an exterior color it came out in 69 or 70 on the vettes, and at the same time on the camaro but it was called Hugger orange. i think those dates are right or at least close, i'm sure somebody here will have the correct date. but anyway the monacco orange is the color my new motor will be painted.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, just posted some pics under my pictures. Not sure how long it takes to get them approved. Below are the specs. A local speed shop built it, AEM, been in Salina for years, very good guy owns/runs it. They do a lot of drag/circle track stuff.

Dart Little M block: 4.125" bore, 4" stroke
Scat 4340 crank: Lightened some while balancing (no mallory)
p/n: 4-400-4000-6000
Main bearings: MS 8038H
Scat 7/16" I beam polished, 4340 rods, 6": p/n: 2-ICR6000
Rod bearings: CB663HN-1
Cam bearings: Dart kit 32000001
Mahle forged pistons: p/n: 000125120 (just came out, have a dish and the teflon stuff on the skirts for break in.

Machine work: Tplate; debur block; resurface block .003; brushed mains; weld intake; mill intake; port intake (Edelbrock proflo, based on Vic Jr.); balanced everything including flywheel and clutch.

Heads: AFR 210 Eliminator (CNC ported). Milled to 65cc: 10.5: 1 CR
Valve size is 2.05/1.6 if I remember right
Springs: Comp 933-16 intake/comp 4781-16 ex
Manley 13151-8 locks
Think the spring pressure is 210#/515# if I remember right. It was what comp cams recommended

Valvetrain:
Cam: Comp Cams Solid Roller: 250/258 Dur @ .050. 631/631 lift. 111 LS; 4 degree advance built in, .900 base circle
Comp cams pro magnum rollers (had to be clearanced for springs) 1.6
Cam lift is like 670/670 with the 1.6 rockers
Comp cams solid roller lifters
AFR stud girdles

SFI balancer

Hamburger 1088 oil pan (not sure it fits, but I'm told it will)
Billet flywheel
Centerforce dual friction 11" clutch
Weind Team G, Corvette Water pump (may have to get a different pump, will see).

They indicated the block was in better tolerance than some of them that they get, but you can see it was still off .003 on the deck.

Intake:
Also, the Edelbrock proflo intake was slightly cockeyed from the casting and had to be welded and then ported.
1000 cfm TB
48 lb Venom injectors running at 50 psi
A1000 Aeromotive pump with -8 send/-6 return braided line and sump
Working on a wiring harness adapter to upgrade to a Megasquirt harness/setup if this doesn't run right with the Edelbrock ECM, will see.

I think he gave me a good deal on it, has a warrantee and he is going to help me with start up if I ask him. It did end up a little under 10k, not counting the EFI hardware, oil pan, flywheel, clutch and fuel system. Compared to a Shaffiroff 434 10k motor, this one is at least as good and customized somewhat for EFI.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought very seriously about buying a World 454 short block for about $4800 and putting one together. However, I would have had at least $8500 in it and no experience with these type of motors. Figured an extra 1k was worth it. Additionally went with a 427 instead of a 440 for the rebuild value.

Cam clearance was my main worry.

Also, there is a guy on Fleabay selling 434 short blocks pretty cheap (3900 I think), but I wouldn't know how reputable he is. Thought about that too.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
As all self respecting Chevy engines should be.:thumbsup:
:surprised :surprised

I painted mine "Cast Iron". :huh:
But this is going in the '78 4x4.

:D

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yes it is an exterior color it came out in 69 or 70 on the vettes, and at the same time on the camaro but it was called Hugger orange. i think those dates are right or at least close, i'm sure somebody here will have the correct date. but anyway the monacco orange is the color my new motor will be painted.
It's your car and your money. You can paint the engine pink if you choose.
Looking back over the years, one of the few factory stock items I've retained in my car has been the Chevy Orange paint on the engine. (I painted the 355 in my '84 Vette Chevy Orange too. Looks a ton better than corporate black.) As I've updated the engines I've used more aluminum parts and less paint. I just realized this present engine I'm building will have a Chevy Orange oil pan.

·
Registered
636 Posts
:surprised :surprised

I painted mine "Cast Iron". :huh:
But this is going in the '78 4x4.

:D

Touche'. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
sounds like a very nice set up, should be fun to drive.
im also using the dart block +
scat 5140 forged crank 3.75" stroke
scat I beam 6.00" 4340 forged ARP bolts
king race brg's
KB hypereutectic 10.1
SRP plasma file fit moly rings
internal balanced
brodix IK200 heads
brodix intake
howards hyd roller [email protected] .050" 230in./230ex. valve lift .510in/510ex 108LC
howards severe duty roller lifters
scorpion alum roller rockers 1.6 ratio
manly molly .060" walled
cloyes true double roller 3 keyway
melling high vol oil pump and pickup
internal powerbond SFI balancer
725 cfm vs demon carb
MSD pro billet dist,MSD 6a box,MSD HVC II blaster coil
tilton high torque starter4.4:1 reduction
March serp system with 100amp Alt and P/S

cost $8,000.00 :thud:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice Kwplot, that thing should run great. I am still vaccilating between big cube sb, bb or 383 with a Vortech. Think the 383/Vortech combo would have been the best bang for the buck, but of course I have to be an idiot and spend a ton of extra cash on EFI...

My basic goal was to have my Vette faster than a new Z06 427 or Viper. This should be close, definitely more power than the Z06, not the new Viper at 610 hp though. Don't think the new Vipers count though since I started this project before it came out. However, there is always nitrous.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I tossed around the BB idea for awhile too,but went the way of the SB. it will give you a little more room under the hood,and i realy wanted to build one of these stroker engines,have herd a lot of good about them and my builder likes them too. Larry mainly builds pro-comp dragster engines and off shore racing engines,he builds quite a few big cube motors but likes the stroker motor and he said i would not be dissappointed with it,i almost waited to long to have him do it but he squezzed me in, on average he turns out about 30-35 motors a year and has to take care of his rental motors. what gears and trans are you running, mine is the 4spd BW st-10 with 3.70 in the rear.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had a mild 383 as my last motor, put it together myself with the Edelbrock proflo EFI the year it came out. It was 14 years old though, no roller cam, old heads etc. Yours will be WAY faster than mine was. I have a Tremec TKO 5-speed, I put in 2 years ago. Has a 3.27 first gear and 3.08 rearend, think that makes it about like a 4.10 rearend with the 50 tires I have on it. Have some heavy flanged stubshafts on order and already have a Dragvette 6-link to put on the rearend, to keep it together for awhile I hope. My rearend is the weak link at this point. Also put in a 5 point roll cage recently, so I can do some racing.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts