Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My second question for this forum...

I am not that familiar with the options currently available on the C5. I don't think they yet have a built in navigation system available. I could be wrong about this but seeing as I will most likely buy a 1999 or 2000 model year, it really doesn't matter.

I guess I really need to ask...

Has anyone looked into an after-market GIS Navigation setup?

I plan to do some traveling and want the best information available.

Also do they look good installed? I have seen some where the screen pops out of a "radio" and folds up for viewing. That would be cool.

If you have one, or have looked into them, what do you think?

Mike:huh:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have an Elcipse unit :thumbsup: in my 2000 drop top. It can be outfitted with a GPS unit that comes as part of the "Commander" module it activates directional arrows on the head unit and gives and takes directions in plain speech. I have not purchaced it mainly because I drive with the top down 95% of the time and from what I heard from my installer wind noise can be a problem. Eclipse also has the Screen that folds up on some of thier units. You might check them out at: http://www.eclipse-web.com/

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

The Eclipse looks very cool. I like the hide away screen. I didn't find too much about the GIS function on the web site. (One small sentence with part references) I will continue to look.

The Garmin 2610 has the hard core functionality that I like, but looks are important too. I believe this one mounts to the top of the dash? If someone has a picture of one installed it would be cool to see how it looks mounted in the vette.

Thanks again :partyon:

Mike

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Hi Mike,

I went the sort of cheap way for my GPS. I already had am iPaq (Palm) and getting a Radio-Shack $99 GPS unit that hooks into the iPaq was my cheap way out. So far it's doing pretty go. It doesn't give verbal directions (I don't think) but what the hell it was only $99.00!!!

The best thing is I can move it from car to car.

:cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts