Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm re-doing my front suspension and after 4 days of beating the crap out of the lower control arm bushings I'm giving up. I did everything by the book but I cannot get the steel bushing part out. I used my 12 ton press and they wouldn't budge. I didn't want to bend the arm. The drivers side steel bushing is beat to crap and I'll probably finish it off with a cutting wheel but I do not want to waste anymore time on the passengers side.
Can anyone recommend a Chicago are shop that will push out the bushings without destroying my arm?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
dang, sorry to hear you're having a hard time. I had some similar struggles a few weeks ago when I was working on my passenger side arms. The bushings had only been in there for about 4 years, but I didn't do a very good job of cleaning the powedercoat out of the bores in the arms so they were a PITA to get out.

Sounds like a lot of the guys that do these more often use an air chisel. Do you have air tools available to you?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Use a hacksaw and very carefully cut the shell without cutting into the trailing arm. Once the shell is cut you can bend it in and get it out without damaging anything. If the rubber bushing is still in the shell just torch it out with a propane torch.

:cheers:

Rick B.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen the hacksaw method but I can't get the control arm shaft out until I remove one of the metal bushings.
Am I missing something? The uppers were easy, probably because they don't see the elements creating rust.

I used a hole saw to remove the rubber. That worked like a charm.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
I've seen the hacksaw method but I can't get the control arm shaft out until I remove one of the metal bushings.
Am I missing something? The uppers were easy, probably because they don't see the elements creating rust.

I used a hole saw to remove the rubber. That worked like a charm.
what size hole saw did you use? I found a 1" was just a hair small for a the uppers but a 1-1/8" was a bit too large. Didn't have a 1-1/16" to try.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. I went out there and tried the hacksaw method and literally got both bushing shells out in 10 minutes. Now I figure it will take me 20 minutes to do the passenger control arm.
You guys ROCK!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for your help. I'd still be out there beating the arm with a hammer.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
When you press them back in, cut a piece of 1" angle iron to put in the a arm between holes. This will keep the arm from distorting when pressing the new bushings in.
GM had a spreader made of tubing with notches, but angle iron works just as well.:D

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what size hole saw did you use? I found a 1" was just a hair small for a the uppers but a 1-1/8" was a bit too large. Didn't have a 1-1/16" to try.
I used a 1-1/8 hole saw for the lowers. Drill for the uppers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts