Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you installed Thrush Glass Packs or any glasspack for that matter on your C3s? What do you think of them?

Any advice?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Not on my C3, On that I ran Hooker mufflers

But I have a B&B Exhaust on my C5 that are glass packs

Future plans are to run a set of 4" glass packs directly behind the long tubes in order to shave more weight off the car

This will probably save me 40lbs:nuts:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Greetings from Long Branch NJ,Americas first seashore resort and 7 time US summer capital....had glasspacks on my '68 327-350 back in the 60's and 70's and to me they sounded great....not overly loud but they had a deep grumble and in all the years I had them on the car I only got stopped once....on a long ago Sunday afternoon I was heading down to the boardwalk and I passed a Mopar that has been pulled over by a local LEO....on my way back the guy pulls me over and says he's going to give me a ticket for loud mufflers only because the Mopar guy pointed the Vette out as having loud mufflers when I drove by earlier....turned out the guy was only a ''special''officer and after a real cop intervened I left with only a warning....but whenever the ''special'' saw me around town he would hassle me because the real cop overruled him....kept the packs on until finally they wouldn' pass inspection anymore....bought a set of hooker header-sidepipes for $50.00! and lived happily everafter.
Lee

·
Registered
26 Posts
i like the thrush mufflers if you cant see them.the police see the glass pack and get funny about the noise .but if they see something that looks like the factory muffler they dont say any thing .i like magnaflow ,but have been thinking about the new cherry bomb.it looks factory from behind the car.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Glasspacks are restrictive and loud. Their strengths are literally strength & cheapness.

Great muffler for a beat up wheeling truck. Horrible muffler for an actual performance car.

It's an opinion formed by driving +200K in different glasspack vehicles, others opinions will vary.

good luck

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would personally go with some kind of chambered or baffled muffler. I had some glass packs on a 1983 GMC Jimmy, and while it was loud, I want something a little more aggresively-refined on my Vette. :partyon:

·
Registered
217 Posts
had glass packs on a few cars, but they were only good for noise, the best performance i got was from a set of flowmasters. and they lasted a long time. noise level was about the same, but the power was better. going with side pipes on my 74. just which ones to use I am not sure of. more research for me to do.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Some manufacturers make glass packs with a smooth perforated core, just like a Magnaflow.
Those will flow as well as anything. Look at Walker/ Dynomax/Thrush.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Some manufacturers make glass packs with a smooth perforated core, just like a Magnaflow.

:agree: Just like the inserts in Hooker side pipes. Glass wrapped around a perforated core tube, then sleeved, and inserted into the side pipe.

·
Registered
552 Posts

I have two cars with magnaflow mufflers. The F body single in, dual out has a very smooth tone. The car with traditional duals totally has that glasspack rap. It really suprised me til realizing the standard case magnaflows are lazy bent glasspacks in a rectangular case.

Stainless magnaflows are probably the highest quality muffler you'll find without spending $75 apiece. Excellent material and construction. Would totally recommend them over any comparably priced bullet body glasspacks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts