Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like the prices still have a way to go down. I was looking around this weekend at the ones at the electronic stores, and they are EXPENSIVE!!!!

I am going to check e-bay.

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
I had an iPaq 3560 (3650?) and sold it on e-bay. I got very frustrated with the constant sync'ing issues!:nuts:

O

·
0 Posts
GPS prices are steadily dropping. I suspect that this Christmas time they'll be really cheap.

:partyon:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,415 Posts
Just remember that you're not lost unless you care where you are.:laughing:

·
Registered
33 Posts
What do you have, and why?

I have two Garmin units that I like very much. The first and oldest is a GPS 3 which I initially bought to use on my motorcycle. It works quite well, but the screen is a bit small to be checking out when you are at speed. However when you set your trip up in Delorme Street Atlas and download it into the GPS it gives turn arrows at selected distances before turns and which direction you need to head. Got to watch it on Interstates though as it indicates the ultimate direction, not the ramp. Once past that it's a piece of cake. Later I bought a Garmin Street Pilot. Large enough screen to see where you are going and again good usage with the DeLorme program. GPS is great, but the true power is in the computer programs that make them even more usefull. I haven't done it yet, but the ultimate will be to have a laptop with the program running and the GPS linked to the laptop. With that you get voice prompts and much more info (gas, lodging, service, hospitals and much more). If you are going to run the GPS outside of the car on it's internal batteries, you should keep clear of color screens as they absolutely chew up batteries at an alarming rate. The monotone screens are much better in this respect, but have a bit less Gee Whiz factor. Be sure to get a cigarette lighter plug at any case, and if you want truly amazing accurracy an external amplified antenna. Have got a fair ammount of experience with this if you want to go farther.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: What do you have, and why?

GS583 said:
I have two Garmin units that I like very much. The first and oldest is a GPS 3 which I initially bought to use on my motorcycle. It works quite well, but the screen is a bit small to be checking out when you are at speed. However when you set your trip up in Delorme Street Atlas and download it into the GPS it gives turn arrows at selected distances before turns and which direction you need to head. Got to watch it on Interstates though as it indicates the ultimate direction, not the ramp. Once past that it's a piece of cake. Later I bought a Garmin Street Pilot. Large enough screen to see where you are going and again good usage with the DeLorme program. GPS is great, but the true power is in the computer programs that make them even more usefull. I haven't done it yet, but the ultimate will be to have a laptop with the program running and the GPS linked to the laptop. With that you get voice prompts and much more info (gas, lodging, service, hospitals and much more). If you are going to run the GPS outside of the car on it's internal batteries, you should keep clear of color screens as they absolutely chew up batteries at an alarming rate. The monotone screens are much better in this respect, but have a bit less Gee Whiz factor. Be sure to get a cigarette lighter plug at any case, and if you want truly amazing accurracy an external amplified antenna. Have got a fair ammount of experience with this if you want to go farther.
GREAT INFO!!

In your opinion, what would someone expect to pay for a quality GPS with good functionality?

·
Registered
33 Posts
GPS Prices

For the mapping type units the prices range from $180 to $599 at a popular internet store. A monochrome Garmin Street Pilot is about $500. You may be able to do better on an auction site or by searching other internet stores. Make sure you are getting a USA authorized unit ( most likely not a problem if bought from a US dealer as the units in the other areas of the world do not have US maps installed and vice versa). As I have stated, I like Garmin, but there other brands that most likely work just as well, I just do not have experience with them myself. The use of a GPS on a trip can really be fun and with the combination of a compatible mapping program can give litteral doorstep to doorstep routing. I plotted and navigated a trip from my home in Iowa to my buddies driveway in rural Maine without ever unfolding a map. I also sent my wife to an address in Chicago with a minor error, the program dropped them at the back side of the property instead of on the road in front of the house. Got them there, but a little confusing at the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the Garmin SP3. I bought it mainly for the bikes since it is waterproof and has all the bells and whistles. Unfortunately, my old Garmin 95xl is relegated to aviation use only. I have no real experience with any other brand but have had years of satisfaction out of the old 95xl.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I did a lot of research online before buying. For a consumer product (as opposed to a professional $30,000 unit) you can't go wrong with Garmin. It is a cut above all the rest of the consumer units tested as far as consistent accuracy. I bought the GPS V (aka GPS 5) and love it. Came with cig lighter cord, pc interface cable, and full unlock map CD.

Tells you speed, elevation, direction, l timers, distance to next turn, etc.

Used it extensively going to the 50th in BG/Nashville. Used it that Sunday to flawlessly find Beechbend Raceway and other places.

Upgraded software available constantly online from Garmin.com.

Got mine from Best Buy. Retail $500. Was a return and marked down to $399. Got it for $349 including the full factory warrantee.

One of the best buys (pun intended) I've ever made!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sure 357, with the beanbag mount it sits on the GS dash perfectly without leaving a mark! It was even OK on the trip to the 50th at 90 mph, er, a, 55mph. :D :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts