Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my drivers side exhaust manifold glowing cherry piping hot after giving here a little test drive down the street. I have not formally set the timing yet, and I am sure the cats are fubar. The car does not seem to be very responsive, but none the less it drives "smooth."

Anyways, I know I am jumping the gun, but I just want to arm myself with some knowledge once I get to this point in fixing this problem. What are all of the causes for glowing exhaust manifolds?

As far as I know:
Running lean
Retarded timing
Clogged cats

Only code I have is 33 MAF High.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya that is very interesting.

Thanks, figured as much. :partyon:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vetteoz do you race at Irwindale or Pomona?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya there is no way I am going to drive the vette like that, I am waiting for some money so I can buy new cats and a timing light.:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
8,519 Posts
incorrect ignition timing, vacuum leaks , and bad/clogged cats can all cause odd exhaust temps check your trouble codes and read the shop manual

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats what my drivers side looked like when I opened the hood :lookinup:...

Vacuum is fine, I know its a mix of the cat/timing, because I haven't got that far yet lol.

Only code I have is 33.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
ok, so the cats were replaced as of today... and still the glowing red ex manifold all the way down to the cat (seems to be drivers side only).

my mechanic told me the timing was 10-12 deg adv... but i thought advance made the engine run cold?

fuel pressure regulator has vacuum and no fuel present when pulled off, although I put my nose to it and it smelt like fuel.. but it wasn't wet with fuel, if it was bad wouldn't it be leaking out of the vac line or regulator?

so next check injectors?

and to add to the mix my coolant is boiling now all of the sudden. stuck thermostat?

·
Super Moderator
8,519 Posts
ok, so the cats were replaced as of today... and still the glowing red ex manifold all the way down to the cat (seems to be drivers side only).

my mechanic told me the timing was 10-12 deg adv... but i thought advance made the engine run cold?

this is an area where relying on a mechanic rather than doing it yourself is not always the ideal route to follow, especially if you have not verified TDC on the damper and timing tab,and your ignition advance.
http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=967
its very common for guys to check the ignition timing at idle and either forget to follow instructions and disconnect this connector during the process,

or to be clueless about how to verify the timing advance curve,
http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=4683
either can result in not having the timing correct

fuel pressure regulator has vacuum and no fuel present when pulled off, although I put my nose to it and it smelt like fuel.. but it wasn't wet with fuel, if it was bad wouldn't it be leaking out of the vac line or regulator?

so next check injectors?

and to add to the mix my coolant is boiling now all of the sudden. stuck thermostat?
every trouble correction issue is best approached by dropping back to basics and verifying each step before proceeding

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is the distributer even in right? I've seen this happen when someone disregarded the "D" shape and jammed it in to place. (a dealership service none the less)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks grumpy, i watched him do it, he did disconnect that wire, but I don't think he verified TDC

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
.....long time ago I had the same problem with a Ford truck &
a Grand Prix turned out to be a bad EGR valve, ran smooth but
no power, dam near melted the exhaust manifolds.....:laughing:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It looks like I have gotten it figured out... of course the timing was way off and a mixture of the idle/tps... for some reason when those were off, the car would have a wobbling idle, boiling coolant, and the hot EGT's. Anyways, I think I am nearing to "drivable" YAY! :thumbsup::lookinup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts