Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm looking at this crate engine, I'm somewhat on a budget and this would be all I would need.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_752506_-1_10763

Has anyone used one of these? How do you like it?

The local o'reillies has a rebuilt engine for $995 + 250 for my core, the only thing is it's a 2-bolt mains and not as near as good a warranty as the GM engine. My car isn't no where near original so keep my old engine isn't a concern for me.

Being that the stocker was 190 HP at the factory, the 260 HP on the GM unit seems that much more attractive........any ideas?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
That is the one I used in my 81. It will bring you back to stock performance. You will not get 260HP without adding headers/intake manifold.
It is a better deal than a rebuilt. Nothing beats NEW.
If I did not have all the smog laws in Kalifornia, I would have upgraded.
OBTW, "Hecho en Mexico."

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was thinking about the rebuilt engine, by the time I add the core charge and tax I'm going to be a few hundred dollars shy of buying the brand new GM Engine. If that's the case I would go that route.

I haven't had luck with the "rebuilders" that the chain stores use and am afraid I might get more than I bargain for buying rebuilt.

I installed Tuned Port Injection on my car and have been fighting a miss and after changing the oil this weekend I was about a quart low, I only driven car 30 miles since the oil change...the rest was sitting there idling while I was trying to troubleshoot.

The engine is the only thing I haven't replaced on the car, it's about time.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking about the rebuilt engine, by the time I add the core charge and tax I'm going to be a few hundred dollars shy of buying the brand new GM Engine. If that's the case I would go that route.

I haven't had luck with the "rebuilders" that the chain stores use and am afraid I might get more than I bargain for buying rebuilt.

I installed Tuned Port Injection on my car and have been fighting a miss and after changing the oil this weekend I was about a quart low, I only driven car 30 miles since the oil change...the rest was sitting there idling while I was trying to troubleshoot.

The engine is the only thing I haven't replaced on the car, it's about time.
I would never buy a rebuild from a chain store. Never.

·
DC Crew
12,250 Posts
The bird has the word there bro. No chain rebuilds for me either. That GM crate is a damn good deal in my opinion. Like the bird says, put an Edelbrock (or somthing) intake on it, a new carb, an exhaust system and you will be happy! :thumbsup:

8.5:1 compression, it will burn any kind of fuel you throw at it! :thumbsup:

3 years 100000 miles! :surprised

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
high performance chevy did a series years ago about how to wake up that $1400 goodwrench engine.

It amounts to just putting a bigger cam and vortec or aluminum heads on.

The L98 heads bump the compression up to the 10 point range, although they don't flow that good without an extensive porting job.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
I bought a GM Performance 330 hp vortec motor last year from Summit and dropped it in to a 69 Vert with a TKO 600.

We also added EFI

Bottom line...that motor was solid as a rock - pulled like a rocket - and considering the warranty and time savings of getting it in a crate ready to go...it was the best bang for the buck possible.

I wouldn't suggest buying the lesser version - because, you will have buyer's remorse after spending even MORE on heads/cam - etc. to warm it up and void your warranty.

The 330 motor will need a vortec intake - and a new flywheel (balance is different than your old small block). Other than that it will bolt right up and have enough guts to shove you in the seat, but idle smooth and cool.

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
I went with the 330 hp GM crate motor in my 79 and I am here to tell you I would never even consider anything but a crate motor. All that power with a 3/36 warranty. :partyon:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Give it about 3 -4 months & you can come to S. TX & have mine for $200. Nothing wrong with that crate & it will handle about anything you want to do to it in the future.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
Just bought one - still in the crate. Best deal is from Jegs and get the add on deal with the dist,intake, carb, etc $2,200 shipped to my dock.
This one is my brothers for his 56 chevy or 50 suburban but it's sitting here in my shop.
I used a couple of these back when they were goodwrench targetmasters. They were made in the USA then and cost $800. Great deal. Ran one in my 67 coupe and 69 vert for years. The one in the 69 ended up in the 75 with a 280 cam and set of WP heads. Runs strong although I don't know how much abuse it will take at 6k shifts.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
WIth a new crate engine you get a warranty. That'd be enough reason for me. When something breaks, there's nothing better than someone ELSE paying to fix it. :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
keep the #s

I went with the crate motor also . with the caly legislatur trying to go with annual inspections you would do will to keep it with the replacement motor. keep the numbers motor on a stand for the next guy. there is a 290 hp motor . Sogkins and dickey hve a few options also. just keep it running and enjoy it . rebuild one system at a time tearing it down to the rails is another career.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I bought a GM Performance 330 hp vortec motor last year from Summit and dropped it in to a 69 Vert with a TKO 600.

We also added EFI

Bottom line...that motor was solid as a rock - pulled like a rocket - and considering the warranty and time savings of getting it in a crate ready to go...it was the best bang for the buck possible.

I wouldn't suggest buying the lesser version - because, you will have buyer's remorse after spending even MORE on heads/cam - etc. to warm it up and void your warranty.

The 330 motor will need a vortec intake - and a new flywheel (balance is different than your old small block). Other than that it will bolt right up and have enough guts to shove you in the seat, but idle smooth and cool.

:agree: I have the same engine and it pulls hard. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was looking at my jegs catalog today and I noticed they sell a package with that goodwrench 260 HP 350 engine complete with a distributor, intake, chrome valve covers and a edelbrock 750 carb for around $2025........that didn't seem like a bad deal.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I was looking at my jegs catalog today and I noticed they sell a package with that goodwrench 260 HP 350 engine complete with a distributor, intake, chrome valve covers and a edelbrock 750 carb for around $2025........that didn't seem like a bad deal.
Then I can assume you are trashing the computer system. You will need to re-wire the TC lock-up then.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Then I can assume you are trashing the computer system. You will need to re-wire the TC lock-up then.
Haven't completly decided what i'm going to do yet, I just want my car to run right.

I did a compression check and one of the cylinders is showing about 121 and the other 7 are doing about 150 - 155 on the guage.

I put some oil in the cylinder and it read the same, so that's telling me the rings are good....I've been fighting a miss and some other crap since I installed the TPI. (The miss has always been there though). The head has to be the problem since I replaced the whole ignition system.

Since it is the original engine and I don't really want to do any head work, I went ahead and ordered two remanufactured heads....I'm going to install them them this weekend. That should take care of the miss and any problems with bad valve seals or whatnot.....it couldn't hurt.

Now I've been tossing around the idea of slapping on a street avenger carb and a new intake and going back the simple route. I still have my old distributor and lock-up kit from my carb install.

Not really sure what to do, I'm stressed out from screwing with my car and I want to be able to get it on the road and drive the snot out of it.....I may end up putting the TPI back on and see how it runs after putting on a fresh set of cylinder heads and go from there.

My ultimate goal is get this thing on the road and be able to drive it no matter what set-up I have installed.

·
Registered
443 Posts
So I am now looking at theGM Performance 330 hp vortec motor from Summit turnkey package. I want to put it in my '79 L48 with an automatic transmission. The Summit engine is a one piece rear main seal so apparently there are issues with the tranasmission I have since it is set up for a two piece rear main. Exactly what do I need to do as far as a flexplate and torque converter? Pretty much a newb, but willing to learn!

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
So I am now looking at theGM Performance 330 hp vortec motor from Summit turnkey package. I want to put it in my '79 L48 with an automatic transmission. The Summit engine is a one piece rear main seal so apparently there are issues with the tranasmission I have since it is set up for a two piece rear main. Exactly what do I need to do as far as a flexplate and torque converter? Pretty much a newb, but willing to learn!

Great choice. I put this motor in a 69 Vette a couple of years ago and bought it from Summit. All you have to do is get a flexplate for a 1988 and up 350. SUmmit can even help you with that when you make your order. No big deal at all. You'll love this engine - and you couldn't rebuild yours to get as much power for the same amount of money.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts