Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.kentucky.com/2011/04/01/1691431/gm-may-add-new-vehicle-to-bowling.html

The automaker is mum on what vehicle it might be adding at the plant, which produces Corvettes, but the head of the local union there said he thinks it's the next generation of the Corvette, which GM is expected to begin manufacturing by 2013.

"We've been trying to work with (GM) in order to get the future product ...," said Eldon Renaud, president of United Auto Workers Local 2164. "You never know from one generation to another if you'll get the opportunity to build it."

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
I would honestly like to see the return of the Cadillac XLR and maybe this will be that vehicle.

A new XLR with standard maybe a 330BHP 3.6L V-8 (the old XLR came standard with a 320BHP 4.6L V-8). Mate that to something with 8 speeds which will provide ultra smooth shifts and really good fuel economy and performance.

Though I would love to see a mid range V-8 (instead of just a base V6 and V series V8) maybe something like a 5.0L SBC making around 400BHP.

Then for the top of the line vehicle offer for the V series should probably be the LSA 6.2L sueprcharged V8 engine with at least 550BH.

Or they can take the 3.0L 270BHP V-6 engine and combine two of them together to make a 6.0L 540BHP V-12 engine. Or maybe combine two of the 3.6L engines together and come up with a 7.2L 660BHP V-12 engine.

There are so many ways that they can go about producing this to make a interesting vehicle.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I think it would be great to add a second vehicle to the Bowling Green facility . . . as long as it stays separate from the Corvette. I'm not too sure about the Cadillac XLR returning, even though that would probably be the easiest to do. I don't think the market would support it (let alone a V-12 version!). Perhaps the return of the Sky/Solstice? I always preferred the Sky, the front of the Solstice always looked like a chipmunk to me . . . but they were both nice cars that I think could find a market. Whatever GM does or doesn't do in Bowling Green, the bottom line is always going to be . . . the bottom line. If it isn't going to be profitable, it isn't going to make the cut.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Well the corvette has been their flagship car for quite some time now

I'd like to see them develop another performance car

called the "TRAJETTE"

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
I think it would be great to add a second vehicle to the Bowling Green facility . . . as long as it stays separate from the Corvette. I'm not too sure about the Cadillac XLR returning, even though that would probably be the easiest to do. I don't think the market would support it (let alone a V-12 version!). Perhaps the return of the Sky/Solstice? I always preferred the Sky, the front of the Solstice always looked like a chipmunk to me . . . but they were both nice cars that I think could find a market. Whatever GM does or doesn't do in Bowling Green, the bottom line is always going to be . . . the bottom line. If it isn't going to be profitable, it isn't going to make the cut.
The problem with bringing that Solstice and Sky back is Pontiac and Saturn are both now long gone. Maybe they can bring back the Sky as a Buick however I don't know how well that fits in with the current direction Buick is taking. I think they would have some issues with making a Chevy based Kappa car as they have both the Corvette and Camaro. Though I think they could make that work out well enough, then you had the idea of spinning off the Corvette into its own line. Making a $30,000 Kappa based Corvette model to fill in the lower then $50,000 range. Though GM just finished getting rid of brands so I don't think they have much interest in adding brands suddenly.

though you make a point about the market supporting another vehicle in this market segment. As in the US the only true competitor would be the Mercedes SL, however this would be a global car.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I think the Sky/Solstice would be do-able as a Chevrolet Monza. It fills out the sports car line with a Senior Car / Junior Car, gives GM that "entry-level" Corvette some people have claimed is needed, and features cars with some similarities in construction techniques. That Solstice coupe with the better-looking (in my opinion) Sky front end would be a sweet Monza Coupe. I might even buy one for the wife.

Myself, I'll stick to the "real deal". Love my C6, can't wait for the C7. Fear not.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The Kappa cars are fun. I drove my friends GXP a couple weeks ago and it is a very responsive 260 hp rrd car. A bit too go-cart for my tastes. There is a sledgehammer around town, now that would be fun. it's a solstice with an ls shoehorned under the hood.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
As nice as the Solstice GXP was..the two seat market is dead....

I think mazda moved 7000 units of Miatas last year...and thats a 20 or 30 grand msrp vehicle..

Bowling green needs to specialize in performance four seat or maybe four door vehicles..

GM should not put another 2 seater production at bowling green. The economy is in the dumper irregardless to what the news reports say and sales of 2 seat sports cars are dead in the water...

to keep the halo vehicle corvette in production at bowling green..four seats and better yet a four door should be produced there along side the corvette c7.

Just my two cents....hoping that Bowling Green survives..

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
As nice as the Solstice GXP was..the two seat market is dead....

I think mazda moved 7000 units of Miatas last year...and thats a 20 or 30 grand msrp vehicle..

Bowling green needs to specialize in performance four seat or maybe four door vehicles..

GM should not put another 2 seater production at bowling green. The economy is in the dumper irregardless to what the news reports say and sales of 2 seat sports cars are dead in the water...

to keep the halo vehicle corvette in production at bowling green..four seats and better yet a four door should be produced there along side the corvette c7.

Just my two cents....hoping that Bowling Green survives..
Are you talking about bringing in something like the Zeta platform or making a 4 door or a 4 seater based on the Y body?

The two seat market isn't dead, though lower priced two seat sports cars have been badly hurt. However anything high end around the world is seeing record sales as wealth gap continues to do what its done over the past 30 years and that is grow. Rolls Royce sold more vehicles last year then it had ever sold in its history and sales up 170%.

With that said there is a formula for a low volume plant to survive and I don't see a reason why the Corvette can't use it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts