Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of industry buzz about this, but what's really new? We told you LOOOONG ago when GM first trademarked the name 'Zora' but the bigger news, IMO, came when they trademarked that name in Australia also. Not a cheap move so why do it?

Some are saying that the "C8" generation terminology will stop and the entire new model will be labeled 'Zora.' This is a silly suggestion. The car IS a C8 and nothing will ever change that. Will the entire line be called a Zora? Maybe, but IMO probably not. Some rumors have said the base model will be called the 'Manta Ray' which does make sense to me. Until the C8 introduction was delayed due to electrical issues, it had been heavily rumored that the C7 and C8 would be produced for a year side by side and sold together. Having two Sting Ray base models would have been confusing in the marketplace so a Manta Ray made sense. However, C7 sales have dropped dramatically so it is possible that the side by side idea has been scrapped. That said, it might be too late in the supplier purchasing process to change whatever the base C8 name is - 'Zora,' 'Manta Ray,' 'Sting Ray,' whatever.

The C6 base model had no name, but the rest of it's models were repeated with the C7: Grand Sport, Z06, and ZR1. So where would 'Zora' fit in? IMO it will be the top performance model and it would be appropriate for it to be the AWD model because Duntov ultimately developed AWD in the CERV rear mid designs 40-50 years ago.

So that's my 2 cents. However many models the new C8 will ultimately offer, if the name 'Zora' is used on one, it will ONLY be on the highest performing C8. BTW, that demographic most likely to buy the top C8, is THE demographic who is most aware of who Zora Duntov was and his historic essential roll in Corvette performance and racing.

What do you guys think?

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,439 Posts
I think you are right one but then there are those that think my opinions are full of ****

Reactions: Longtimer

·
Super Moderator
10,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

I NEVER thought GM would repeat the XLR mistake and now there is a 60% chance (better?) that there WILL be a sister Caddy at BG, so what do I know other than a bunch of rumors that could be mostly wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts