Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished up installing a new harmonic dampener this weekend.
I noticed the power steering fluid was red and smelled like trans fluid.

What color is GM power steering fluid?

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
From what I've heard, power steering fluid and transmission fluid are the same thing. Now I'm going on old school information and that may not apply to newer cars but it explains what you just witnessed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I've heard, power steering fluid and transmission fluid are the same thing. Now I'm going on old school information and that may not apply to newer cars but it explains what you just witnessed.
I've heard that too over the years, but there are differences.
The cars I used to be into recommended using ATF and said not to use regular power steering fluid.
Every once in a while someone would put up a thread talking about how their pump was making noises. The usual cause was that they used power steering fluid and the pump was failing.
I think ATF is stronger than regular power steering fluid hydraulically.
At this point I don't know what the GM fluid is. It may be regular power steering fluid or could be some sort of synthetic fluid.

I mainly just wanted to know what's in my system.
I will probably just leave it until spring and then flush out what's in there and put in something else. I may go with GM stuff or use a Redline type product.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I can tell you exactly what GM recommends. The service manual says to use GM Power Steering Fluid, GM P/N 1052884 pint or GM P/N 1050017 quart, or equivalent. That's what comes in the car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dexron vs P/S fluid

I looked up the specs on both fluids and there is very little difference between the two fluids they are both almost the same .With that said there is a additive in the p/s fluid to keep pump chatter to a minimum ether fluid will work just fine .:thumbsup:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked up the specs on both fluids and there is very little difference between the two fluids they are both almost the same .With that said there is a additive in the p/s fluid to keep pump chatter to a minimum ether fluid will work just fine .:thumbsup:
That's good piece of mind.
What trans fluid did you compare it to?

I've got some old ATF, Dexron III and some Dexron IV, in my cabinet.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
He should have compared it to the GM recommended DEXRON®-III Automatic Transmission Fluid.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dexron 3

Sorry I should have said Dexron 3 it is not a synthetic

1 - 10 of 10 Posts