Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, there...

Does any one know how to use the GM tech 1 scanner.

i connect it to the car, it communicates, but i dont know how to command the fans on and off, or to change any parameters.

i have a problem with the harness, and im trying to follow up the service manual, but i get in the menu screen of the tech1, some numbers beside the parameter, which can be increased, or decreased. so ....

Any thoughts where to learn to use that device.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
I have one at home but haven't used it in a few years, so I can't answer your questions right off hand. If you can wait until after I get off of work tomorrow I'll refresh my memory with the one I have and hook it up to my '86.

I'm stuck at work today until 11pm (EST) and work days tomorrow.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, i will wait,

some one try to show me how the tech 2 works, but it is different than the tech 1.

if i figr it out i will post.

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
I finally got a chance to look at my Tech1 today, sorry for the delay. How much do you understand about it? Are you able to enter the 8th digit of your VIN?......Can you get to the diagnostic test?.....Can you pull any codes?.....

There's alot to the Tech1 (not as much as Tech2) but enough to where I would need about an hour of typing, not to mention it would be too long for just one post.

As far as turning on the fans, I don't know if the Tech1 will give you that command, but the fans will turn on briefly during a diagnostic check. For that push "yes" when asked if you want to run a diagnostic check. It will prompt you to make sure the vehicle is off, ignition to on position. Just follow the screen questions/commands after that to perform the diagnostic check. This only makes sure the Tech1 is communicating with the ECM properly. Let me know exactly what you're trying to do and I'll do my best to answer it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks alot,

im at work now, and i will try that when am home.

What i did, that i changed the security harnsess (the under dash),

i installed one for manual transmission, the original was for auto, as i swap my car from auto to manaual. now i have to pay for it.

i changed already the engine harness.

i got 3 codes the moment i installed the security harnsess.
1- P1641
2- P1642
3- P1661

For the relays 1,2&3 and for the service engine light mil fanction.

i suspect the harness, i think it is damaged (used one). Some terminals are coverd with wight powder like salt.

if i confirm that the harness is the problem, then i will buy a new one.

thanks for the help. i will post soon.

:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts