Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Check out GM's future interior design concepts Gallery with 7 interior concepts. I like the LCD Cadillac Speedometer would be great for the C7:

This is Lamborghini's latest model the "Reventon" it has an awsome LCD speedometer that you can change like the HUD in the C6:

Setting 1

Setting 2

Come on GM this is what we mean by futuristic jet fighter interior.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I like the one that is blue readout that is "partitioned" off with silver parallelagrams (sp?).

Oh, and making the keyfob look like an mp3 player is brilliant.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Some of the radio/AC center consoles look exactly like what's already in some Volvos and Subarus.

While the lcd is flashy,, all it is is more distraction from the road. Gimme a speedo, tach, temp, and fuel in a simple, easy to read design that allows for a quick glance and i'm happy. Sometimes I think the oldest dashes had it right. Although, I would like GM to take the HUD a little further.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
:down:

·
Registered
508 Posts
That would good in a Cadillac. But NOT in a Vette!!!

I think it is very important that the Corvette remains to be a "muscle car" and some of that means it must stick to tradition. I am all for innovation and technology. But, somethings have to stay the same. I love the HUD, but I am so glad that I also have the analog gauges too. Anyways, just my couple of pennies on the issue...

Dave

·
Super Moderator
10,166 Posts
Certainly imagination and creativity should be used in the design of the center stack, the dash surround, and the console. But certain truths remain self-evident. The speedo, the tach, engine temp, and gas gauge - at minimum - MUST be readable quickly, at a glance by the driver. It is not a coincidence that vast majority of today's finest cars present these data in individual, clear, easily scanned formats.

Some of the designs at this link remind me of some of the off-the-wall dash pods of the 1950's. Those were thought to be futuristic, but were in fact, convoluted and inefficient. Presenting too much data in too small of an area is actually worse than returning to the idiot light days, IMO. At least in those days of speedo + gas gauges + idiot lights, you could see your speed at a glance. Some of the linked designs would require the driver to study them to derive basic, important data. This will further the need for the sonar - radar automatic breaking systems because the driver must spend so much time interpreting his speed.

The designs are not smart nor safe, IMO.

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
Enjoyed your comment Longtimer :thumbsup:

Those future layouts definitely have their place in style and wow-factor but they'll need to ease it more towards everyday use.

I've seen digital readouts pop up more, especially in sports motoring and I personally find digit readouts to be the most precise and readable displays. I fully understand that not all people like em; traditional may be fine for tach/speedo but digital readouts are far more precise for temperatures, levels, etc. I have enjoyed the balance between both in several cars, such as the 350Z.

I won't even dwell on the NAV-in-cluster setups... If you've got to have a NAV at least be able to close them or put them away.

·
Super Moderator
10,166 Posts
My '87 digital dash vette was a daily driver for 20 years. I have no problem with digital presentation. The 87's info was segmented and clear, not crowded and convoluted with over-design.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Personally, I'd like to see them do an update of the early C3 dash. Just 2 BIG gauges in front Tach/Speedo and then the 5 gauge center stack. That was very cool IMO. I always liked looking at the dash of my 72 in the night time mode. Also, I think HUD would finally render an instrument pod unnecessary and give back quite a bit of space back to the interior. JMO.

·
Super Moderator
10,166 Posts
I like my HUD very much. I use it constantly. But on bright sunny days with the top off - we have a lot of those here - it's easier to glance at the dash than sift the HUD out of the glare. Oh, the HUD is still there and readable, but not as quickly in those conditions as old tech.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Personally, I'd like to see them do an update of the early C3 dash. Just 2 BIG gauges in front Tach/Speedo and then the 5 gauge center stack.

Now you're talking :partyon: An updated C3 dash would be smokin'

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
There are area's where some techy things will do great for the Corvette, I really like Cadillacs new pop up Nav system and I like how the dash and center stack look on it. The 2008 Malibu's interior flows really well together and has a good amount of color combos I liked the all black with Brushed aluminum trim on the 2008 bu's interior.

Im not a fan of LCD screens on cars, one thing is for sure and that is that GM is paying more attention to interior design then they have for some time now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think gm needs to run as far away from the c5 & c6 scheme as possible.

the "dual cockpit" look has been WAY too overdone.

i know they are trying to replicate the c1c2 interior but today it just looks bland.

do a single cockpit design (like late c4) except with more squared out design and guages kinda like a novas (also a huge emphasis on hud)

something big, outrageous and muscular

1 - 16 of 16 Posts