Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that on a really cold morning my vette really goes, but occaisionally I get this amazing boost of speed that comes on suddenly. Yesterday it was over 90 humid degrees and I was moving a bit on the sluggish side which is normal for the weather. I went about 15 miles to register for some college courses this fall and then on the way home I hit a road block which detoured to another road block, so I took the back roads home. About and hour and a half trip total with lots of idling.

The vette then sit in the driveway for a few of hours before I took her out again. Initially, I didn't notice much but suddenly, my car is on 'roids again. The difference in power is like the difference between a stock c5 and a z06 at least! I had a half of tank of gas and can't think of any other reason I get such a sudden power boost. Answers?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've noticed similiar behaviour but haven't pinned it down yet. I was thinking it might be the gas but not sure.

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
I've read before (about C4s) that it's an indicator of a clogged cat converter.

My '85 did that before I replaced my cat. Torque up the wazoo when cold, no matter how long it sat but lost it after it had been running awhile. Swapped in a new cat and there's not a noticeable difference between cold/warm running.

Of course between '85 and the C5s there's probably some electronic nanny that comes into play too.

Worth running your codes to see.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
618 Posts
this could be due to a number of things, but usually a change in humidity or ambiant temperature will do this.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I get the same thing once and awhile. On Wed. nites here in town, we have a cruise nite. The vettes are usually the last to leave and I have noticed a increase in power especially when the temp. drops and the air is heavy with moisture. Kind of a cheap thrill on the way home.

Art

·
Registered
259 Posts
It is the hotter and humid weather, when your car runs cooler you have more power, if you even run it on a hot day but your on a highway where there is constant air flow into the motor and your running cooler temps it'll have more power. Do you run a ram air intake and a larger power duct? This will also help take in cooler air faster so the car will run at normal operating temps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts