Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least it is here right now!:D

Got a question for you guys!
I was trying to figure out a way to put 2001-2004 wheels on a C3.

Any of you guys and gals have any insight on this.

As far as I can tell, you would have to lose the rear sway bar, and put a set of offset trailing arms on that puppy....then a big spacer. Any other ideas? I am stuck.

By the way, it's not mine. A customer of mine would like to try this!:thumbsup:

Thanks in advance!
Steve

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Crickett said:
Hrm. There's not a way that I know of.....other than a BIG spacer. Which I wouldn't recommend. :down:
I've seen C4 wheels on a C3. But, I do not know what modifications were necessary. Never seen C5 wheels on a C3.

I'm sure you can get the C5 wheels to fit (like the C4 wheels), but they'd both require the same changes or surgery.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Those spacers would have to be a few inches thick right? I'd be real afraid of the torsional loading on the studs.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Can't help you on the wheels, but welcome to the forum. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The issue with the spacer is the one I am concerned with. I can't seem to find another way to do it.

Oh well.
If anyone has a C3 that they know is for sale, lemme know. I have been interested in 1 for awhile now. Keep your eyes open for me and if one surfaces lemme know!

Thanks

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
welcome aboard...:buhbye:

·
Registered
746 Posts
As some have pointed out they are not wheel spacers but rather adaptors. Spacers go over the original studs while adaptors bolt to the hub with short studs and the adaptor has it's owns studs to mount the wheel.
They have proven to be very strong, costly but come in all different thicknesses.
I know a guy running 11 x 17 inch rims with adaptors without any problems.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi, Steve!

We were looking at the chrome Z06-style wheels in your showroom and wondering how to adapt them to our '71....
didn't come up with anything feasible, but still thinking about it!

·
Registered
43 Posts
At least it is here right now!:D

Got a question for you guys!
I was trying to figure out a way to put 2001-2004 wheels on a C3.

Any of you guys and gals have any insight on this.

As far as I can tell, you would have to lose the rear sway bar, and put a set of offset trailing arms on that puppy....then a big spacer. Any other ideas? I am stuck.

By the way, it's not mine. A customer of mine would like to try this!:thumbsup:

Thanks in advance!
Steve
Hello Steve and welcome
Keep the baby original it look's so good like that
Normand :thumbsup:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Guys anything can be made to fit our vets but watch out how it looks. The adaptors come in any thinkness and they are very strong but?
If the rim has a 8 inch back spacing and you can only use 4, a 4 inch thick adaptor would get the job done but the spacing behind the wheel will look rediculous. The rotors are way back in the wheel and then there is this big space then the spokes. It looks fine from way back but up close the spacing looks wrong.
Better to get the proper back spacing, spend a little more but it will look proportionate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Hi, Steve!

vettegirl said:
We were looking at the chrome Z06-style wheels in your showroom and wondering how to adapt them to our '71....
didn't come up with anything feasible, but still thinking about it!
If I figure anything out, I'll let you know!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
It can be done but I would not do any racing with the adapters on the car. Vette brakes carries the adapters. Your best bet will be to go with 17 X 9.5 all the way around. If I remember correctly if you go with the 9.5 rims you will not need offset trailing arms.

It is going to be expensive unless you have access to some Z06 rims already.

Here is a picture of a C3 with Z06 rims. It is not mine (wish it was). I found it on the net while searching on this same subject.

C3-Z06-Rims

I have plans to do this but it will be awhile. Got to install the Vettebrakes performance plus suspension package, steeroids rack & pinion and Hydro boost system first. But before all this I need to finish the EL Camino restore that I am in the middle of.

Good Luck

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
robert8096 said:
It can be done but I would not do any racing with the adapters on the car. Vette brakes carries the adapters. Your best bet will be to go with 17 X 9.5 all the way around. If I remember correctly if you go with the 9.5 rims you will not need offset trailing arms.

It is going to be expensive unless you have access to some Z06 rims already.

Here is a picture of a C3 with Z06 rims. It is not mine (wish it was). I found it on the net while searching on this same subject.

C3-Z06-Rims

I have plans to do this but it will be awhile. Got to install the Vettebrakes performance plus suspension package, steeroids rack & pinion and Hydro boost system first. But before all this I need to finish the EL Camino restore that I am in the middle of.

Good Luck
Wow! Thank's for sharing that pic! I always wondered what it would look like. El Camino restore? You should go to our "Other cars..." section and tell us about it.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts