Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm going to be doing a little tuning up pretty soon on the vette and would like some suggestions on some plugs and wires. Nothing cheapy, just some good performance parts. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
68 Posts
I use AC Delco Rapidfire plugs but I also heard NGK was good. IMO, the Bosh suck. Just my thought though. Wires I have ACdelco right now but am getting ready to change over to Taylor wires.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I run AC Delco in all my chevys. I went to a size colder in my vette due to it being modified. Taylor wires are the best set of plug wires I've owned. Plus they come in many colors.

·
Banned
82 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've got Accel shorty header spark plugs in now which suck and I'll be ripping them out in the next couple weeks. Replacing them with AC Delco Rapidfires.

My engine is modified N/A, and I'm not running a colder plug.

My ignition wires will be TPIS: http://www.tpis.com/index.php?modul...catalogCategory=(L98/LT1)+Ignition+Components
Hot Rodders for years have recommended changing to a colder plug after modifying your engine. It reduces the risk of predetination.

·
Registered
1 Posts
thats fine, by my engine analyzer says i have a total of 4 knock counts while gunning it redline over 5 spikes. intake/heads/cam/exhaust.

no problemo.

·
Registered
724 Posts
thats fine, by my engine analyzer says i have a total of 4 knock counts while gunning it redline over 5 spikes. intake/heads/cam/exhaust.

no problemo.
Ain't nobody forcing you to put in colder plugs. I was just saying that the hotter plug can cause the fuel in the cylinder to ignite before the piston gets to top dead center. But if what you are running makes you happy, then by all means run them. I was just trying to pass on information that drag racers have used for years. But if you know more than greats like Big Daddy Don Garllits, John Force, Don The Snake Prudhome, and many others, then by all means run what you want. Do you just sit in your garage and redline your motor, or do you actually race? If you race, take a pass with your plugs, then put in a step colder and see if it makes a difference before you condemn it. This isn't something I just thought up on my own, it is a tested proven fact.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've got Accel shorty header spark plugs in now which suck and I'll be ripping them out in the next couple weeks. Replacing them with AC Delco Rapidfires.

My ignition wires will be TPIS: http://www.tpis.com/index.php?modul...catalogCategory=(L98/LT1)+Ignition+Components
Any reason you are not running a 160 degree thermostat? Just wondering because it was recommended by the company that made my chip and it did seriously lower my coolant temp. Mine runs in the 168-175 range all the time. I've seen it get up to 180 but that was 100 degree day in traffic with the A/C on. Just wondering. Also, I tried a set of the Accel header plugs a couple years ago in another car I owned(not a corvette), and was not happy with them either. The AC rapid-fires are an excellent plug. I haven't tried the TPIS wires, but I do run Taylors, and they are the best wire I've ever run on any street car I've had.

·
Registered
308 Posts

no problemo.
what kind of engine analyser you are using. The compony that tune my PCM, told me, the knocking count is not very segnificant because of the high cam profile, and the engine modes.

mine is 383. and i can see alot of counts when using the sutoxray scanner.

????

·
Registered
138 Posts
On the 85 im usen Motor Craft Custom Fit wires,Bosch Plat 2's Plugs & a Hypertech Cap, Coil, Rotor.With that combo it passed the NJ Sniffer test.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I run a size colder AC plug, Taylor wires, Mallory Super coil, and have done lots of mods to my engine. I now get 30 MPG on the highway, and 20 in town with the A/C on. Which is about 5 MPG better than it got new on both accounts. I've never dynoed my car before, but I'm sure it is around the 400 range. I know for a fact what my motor components will give me, I just think it is getting held back some by the long tube runners.

·
Registered
724 Posts

I just went and looked at the TPIS wires and I'm not impressed. In fact, I'm not really impressed with that company at all. They built a motor for a guy in our club, and told him it was 380 HP, and said that was all you could squeeze out of a 350. That it was impossible to get a L-98 over the 400HP mark. WRONG!!!!!!!!!! I guess they have never been on here. That to means, that is all THEY can produce out of a 350. But back to plug wires. For one, the TPIS set is premade. Which means they are made too long so you have enough length to run them how you need to, but there is always length on all of them that you will have to hide or just bunch up behind the distributor. Plus, look at the boots that attach to the plugs. Not much protection for around the headers. Also, if you ever have to take them back off for any reason, the ends will probably pull off. The Taylor wires are made 100% better. The plug boots are heavy duty silicone rubber. Plus, you can cut them to length and give your motor a cleaner look. And they come in multiple colors or just black. And last, it's not a bad idea to have a plug wire crimp tool in your tool box anyways, just in case you do happen to pull an end off any plug wire. They cost around $15.00 at summit racing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts