Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of us C3er's like these tires, myself included. My 97 T-Bird needed new tires so I had new T/A's mounted on it.

Here's the shocker:surprised I was getting 25-27 mpg on the highway. Since I've had the T'A's it's down to 20-22:surprised

I'm going to contact Goodrich about this, but I don't expect any real results from them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
WOW That is strange. I put the Goodrich TA's on my 75 right before the Stars & Stripes last year and don't know if the tires made the difference or not, but my mileage went up. I used to get only about 11 mpg with the Goodyear Eagles that were on it. Then I got around 14-15 on the Tour.

Keep us posted on what made the difference when you find out.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's what they wrote back. I'm going to send them a chart next.

Thank you for visiting our Web site and sending us your e-mail.

There are several factors that can affect fuel efficiency and it can vary
between different tires, along with
the age and type of vehicle, driving styles and habits, vehicle maintenance,
proper air pressure, braking, and grades of fuel.

If you have additional questions, please respond to this email or you may call
us at 1-877-788-8899 (toll-free) between 8:30AM and 6:00PM Eastern Time Monday
through Friday to allow one of our Consumer Relations Representatives to assist
you.

BFGoodrich Tires
Consumer Relations Department

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
You hafta love automated replies.

"If your tire tread has separated from the tire itself while braking hard in your SUV, you were most likely driving beyond the capabilities of your 5000 lb. vehicle -- you dumb idiot. Sincerely, Firestone."

:surprised

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
biltogo said:
Here's what they wrote back. I'm going to send them a chart next.

Thank you for visiting our Web site and sending us your e-mail.

There are several factors that can affect fuel efficiency and it can vary
between different tires, along with
the age and type of vehicle, driving styles and habits, vehicle maintenance,
proper air pressure, braking, and grades of fuel.

If you have additional questions, please respond to this email or you may call
us at 1-877-788-8899 (toll-free) between 8:30AM and 6:00PM Eastern Time Monday
through Friday to allow one of our Consumer Relations Representatives to assist
you.

BFGoodrich Tires
Consumer Relations Department
Good enough for me. :laughing: :spanked: :nuts:

·
Registered
56 Posts
"Gosh I would have never thought that those tires needed air in them to get good mileage."

Obviously, Goodrich has joined the multitudes of other businesses that doesn't give a rats A55 about customer satisfaction and think that all there customers are as stupid as the product they sell.

Fire back another call to them and tell them what to do with their "blanket statement" response.

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Rich's75 said:
"Gosh I would have never thought that those tires needed air in them to get good mileage."

Obviously, Goodrich has joined the multitudes of other businesses that doesn't give a rats A55 about customer satisfaction and think that all there customers are as stupid as the product they sell.

Fire back another call to them and tell them what to do with their "blanket statement" response.
Rich, the proper spelling of A55 is ass. Damn, you can even say **** here.

Funny, we don't use the sensor and everyone is still programmed to beat the censor!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rich's75 said:

I'm waiting til I get 10 data points for a reasonable before and after comparison. Then I'll also include words about driving style, air, and other blanket retorts. Lastly, I'll include the names of DOE people I've had business dealings with that might be interested in my report.

·
Registered
233 Posts
biltogo said:
I'm waiting til I get 10 data points for a reasonable before and after comparison. Then I'll also include words about driving style, air, and other blanket retorts. Lastly, I'll include the names of DOE people I've had business dealings with that might be interested in my report.
How can a tire reduce the mileage so drastically?

·
Registered
41 Posts
biltogo said:
I know a lot of us C3er's like these tires, myself included. My 97 T-Bird needed new tires so I had new T/A's mounted on it.

Here's the shocker:surprised I was getting 25-27 mpg on the highway. Since I've had the T'A's it's down to 20-22:surprised

I'm going to contact Goodrich about this, but I don't expect any real results from them.
This certainly can happen if you reduce the diameter of the tire. What size WERE the tires you took off and what size are the replacements.

Paul

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Re: Goodrich Radial T/A's

pws69 said:
This certainly can happen if you reduce the diameter of the tire. What size WERE the tires you took off and what size are the replacements.

Paul
P225/70-R15....size for size trade.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Goodrich Radial T/A's

biltogo said:
P225/70-R15....size for size trade.
Yikes!!! Not what I was hoping you would say! It's a little scary to think that the rolling resistance is THAT much more. I have been planning to get a set of 255/60 TA's for mine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Geez...didn't know we bought Corvettes for gas mileage? Don't keep up with my mileage as I don't drive it everyday. If you are worring bout gas mileage, a vette is not the car to drive..go buy a ricer...or better yet, a defunct'd Yugo! :D

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
81' VetteGuy said:
Geez...didn't know we bought Corvettes for gas mileage? Don't keep up with my mileage as I don't drive it everyday. If you are worring bout gas mileage, a vette is not the car to drive..go buy a ricer...or better yet, a defunct'd Yugo! :D
I think the Vette would get better mileage than a yugo.

Biltogo drives his Vette, sometimes thousands of miles at a time (lots of road trips). Mileage is important, unless you want to stop every 45 minutes for gas.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
81' VetteGuy said:
Rough night last night, Bunky????

·
Registered
68 Posts
Who the heck is bunky? Like I said, I dont really mind the fuel economy bit. Also drive a 86 K10 4x4 with a 350. Don't worry bout gas milage on that one either. Oh well, to each their own.

Have fun guys..

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Now I'm pissed.

I made a post about a finding. A factual comparison of a before and after. I believe there's a reason, a physical scientific and logical explanation for the difference. I believe that others should know of my findings, as well as BFG.

Now another thing.

I didn't buy my Vette's for gas mileage either. But as was said....to each their own.

Is the attitude supposed to be that it's a Vette and therefor all ills are excusable? That's narrow minded nonsense.

Is the attitude that all Vette owners are supposed to buy and build quick cars? More nonsense.

I could dump a load of cash into the 72 and build a 10 second car. For what? So another guy that decides to waste a grand more than I did build's a 9.9 second car and whips my ass in the quarter? There's always someone faster....period. That's why they have bracket racing and that suits me fine.

My suspension mods for handling, and creature comfort improvements give me much more pleasure day in and day out than knowing I could blow the doors off 50% of the cars on the road.

As for engineered ills in the 72. It has plenty. I had a 72 Mustang as well. I can attest that the Mustang was easier to work on than the Vette, and part for part, cheaper and easier to maintain.

Efficiency and road worthiness is my bag. So you can stuff your bag as you wish, and I'll do the same with mine......and don't try to hand me some haughty attitude like buy a ricer or a Yugo.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts