Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW YORK – MSNBC host Keith Olbermann announced Friday that he is leaving the network and has taped his last "Countdown" show.

MSNBC issued a statement that it had ended its contract with the controversial host, with no further explanation. Olbermann hosted the network's most popular show, but his combative liberal opinions often made him a target of critics.

Olbermann did not explain why he was leaving.

"MSNBC thanks Keith for his integral role in MSNBC's success and we wish him well in his future endeavors," the network said.

A spokesman said Phil Griffin, MSNBC's president, would not comment on Olbermann's exit.

Spokesman Jeremy Gaines would say only that the acquistion of NBC Universal by Comcast, which received regulatory approval this week, had nothing to do with the decision.

Olbermann was suspended without pay from the network for two days in November for donating to three Democratic candidates, which violated NBC News' policy on political donations.

Olbermann complained that he was being punished for mistakenly violating an inconsistently applied rule that he had known nothing about.

The host apologized to fans -- but not to the network.

Olbermann, before leaving the show with a final signature toss of his script toward the camera, thanked his audience for sticking with him and read a James Thurber poem.

"This may be the only television program where the host was much more in awe of the audience than vice versa," he said.

He thanked a series of people, including the late Tim Russert, but pointedly not Griffin or NBC News President Steve Capus.

Olbermann's prime-time show is the network's top-rated. His evolution from a humorous look at the day's headlines into a pointedly liberal show in the last half of George W. Bush's administration led MSNBC to largely shift the tone of the network in his direction, with the hirings or Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnell in primetime.

But Olbermann was known for a mercurial personality behind the scenes and he was almost fired last year for the political donations. He quit a prime-time show on MSNBC in the late 1990s, complaining that management was making him report too much on President Bill Clinton's impeachment scandal.

He was particularly critical of Fox News Channel and his direct competitor, Bill O'Reilly, frequently naming him his "Worst Person in the World" in a segment popular with his fans. Bosses at NBC had discussed trying to keep the tone of the vitriol down.

MSNBC announced that O'Donnell, who had frequently filled in for Olbermann before starting his own 10 p.m. show, will take over Olbermann's time slot starting Monday. "The Ed Show," with Ed Schultz, would move to 10 p.m. Cenk Uygur of the Web show "The Young Turks," will fill Schultz's vacated 6 p.m. time slot.

Olbermann had signed a new four-year contract with MSNBC two years ago. It's unclear what his plans are now.

He could give a boost to struggling CNN's prime-time lineup, but Olbermann would mean CNN would make an abrupt shift in its nonpartisan policy. It was not immediately known how quickly Olbermann could switch to another job if he wanted to.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
So, where in the article is there any connection to GOP instigating this?

IMHO, it's about people are tired of the the almost maddening vitriol and have stopped watching it. They're going on to other things, and the money's just not there. It's just another indication that progressive thinking and policy is not as popular as they think it is.

This is good news. There is too much derisiveness in mainstream media, and people are excersizing their right to choose.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Maybe the new Comcast owners are about to clean things up over there and remind those guys the news sometimes has something to do with reporting the truth.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Maybe its just the fact that his ratings were terrible. MSNBC is in the business to make money, and not lose it.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
It's not hard to add it up, the hateful racist Tea Party is behind this. Sarah Palin probably threatened to shoot someone if Olderscam wasn't removed.. we all know what a powerful influence she has.. :laughing:

On a more serious note, their best, pulled 1/3 of the people Fox's worst guy did. NBC started distancing themselves from the cable channel 6 months ago, this is probably just a continuation.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

I have to agree with this brother. The tittle is misleading.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Maybe its just the fact that his ratings were terrible. MSNBC is in the business to make money, and not lose it.
Bingo ! No different then any other leftist broadcasting. Especially now that they are leading the charge and call for civility. What the hell are they going to report about... if not divisiveness and victim-hood ?

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Bingo ! No different then any other leftist broadcasting. Especially now that they are leading the charge and call for civility. What the hell are they going to report about... if not divisiveness and victim-hood ?
Bongo! He was the highest rated show on their station. They would not cut him due to ratings.

I bet the Comcast angle has more to do with it.

I bet any other station would love him. MSNBC has shitty marketing and promotions. The network is the reason it is struggling, not its politics.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
OK, you have a well known disdain for couches, but what do you have againt bewbies?:laughing:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Olbermann is out on his ass???

WHO CARES?????

:rolling:

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Intresting to note that this happenned on a Friday, thus putting it thru the weekend news cycle. That'll make the buzz fizzle by the week's news cycle. Common tactic in entertainment and politics.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Intresting to note that this happenned on a Friday, thus putting it thru the weekend news cycle. That'll make the buzz fizzle by the week's news cycle. Common tactic in entertainment and politics.
Was Glenn Beck's vacation really a suspension in contemplation of him being fired like you originally said? I'm still waiting for that SOB to be fired. :laughing:

Some else said Olberman was the highest rated show on MSNBC...... that's like saying my dog's poop smells better than your dog's poop..... what does it matter, it's still ****.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have to agree with this brother. The tittle is misleading.
Must be a coincidence that Brian Roberts is a staunch GOP supporter, Olbermann was an over the top Lib and the first change after the takeover was to eliminate the highest rated Lib talk show on MSNBC.

Yeah that must be it, just a coincidence :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Must be a coincidence that Brian Roberts is a staunch GOP supporter, Olbermann was an over the top Lib and the first change after the takeover was to eliminate the highest rated Lib talk show on MSNBC.

Yeah that must be it, just a coincidence :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
:agree:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Let me get this thought process of yours, to sink in for a moment.

They (MSNBC) have the lowest rating of all networks due to the highest rated broadcasters ideology... and you see his replacement as a republican induced non-coincidence... in removing the very reason they are not increasing their market share ?

Is there any room for the thought that the new owners may actually wish to create a large market share (IE more money) with a proven track record ?

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Let me get this thought process of yours, to sink in for a moment.

They (MSNBC) have the lowest rating of all networks due to the highest rated broadcasters ideology... and you see this as a republican induced non-coincidence... in removing the very reason they are not increasing their market share ?

Is there any room for the thought that the new owners may actually wish to create a large market share (IE more money) with a proven track record ?
I tend to deal in reality. Normally you would change out the shows with the lowest ratings first. But, to me, this move signals more than a change in a show but a change in the core values of MSNBC

The reality is, there is a new boss taking over that has a different idea for the direction of MSNBC. I think you will see a change in ideology at MSNBC as a result of the takeover.

Whether that is good or bad depends on your point of view.

:cheers:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
I tend to deal in reality. Normally you would change out the shows with the lowest ratings first. But, to me, this move signals more than a change in a show but a change in the core values of MSNBC

The reality is, there is a new boss taking over that has a different idea for the direction of MSNBC. I think you will see a change in ideology at MSNBC as a result of the takeover.

Whether that is good or bad depends on your point of view.

Is this not what I just said, above ? If you plan on a format change... you start with the lowest common denominator and work your way up ? No... you don't. You start with the very largest of the original format (the ideology)... and work your way down. The largest is most unlikely to change... while the little ones are. It also sends a message to those little ones.

I guess we have differing realities.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is this not what I just said, above ? If you plan on a format change... you start with the lowest common denominator and work your way up ? No... you don't. You start with the very largest of the original format (the ideology)... and work your way down. The largest is most unlikely to change... the little ones are.

I guess we have differing realities.

Nice fairly tale but, the reality is sponsors and ratings.
You don't leave money on the table. Start the new format and eliminate the shows that don't carry their weight immediately. If overall ratings slip it is hard to get quality sponsors and without quality sponsor you can not put on quality shows.

That is the only reality of sponsored broadcasting I know.

This sends a big time message to MSNBC staffers that changes are coming and it does not have to do with profit or sponsors.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts