Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rent protections for thousands of higher-income city residents would be gutted under a bill quietly introduced by Senate Republicans last week. The bill sponsored by Senate Housing Committee Chairwoman Catharine Young (R-Cattaraugus County) would ease the requirement that rents must reach $2,000 a month before an apartment can be deregulated.

"This is nightmare legislation for tenants," said Travis Proulx, a spokesman for the Senate Democratic Conference. "It strikes at the heart of efforts to preserve affordable housing."

Current laws dictate that rent-stabilized apartments can be deregulated when rents reach $2,000 and tenants' income exceeds $175,000 for two consecutive years.

Young's bill would eliminate the rent threshold and allow deregulation if the tenant's income averaged $175,000 over two years.

The bill is one of the GOP's first salvos in the contentious battle over New York's rent regulations, which expire on June 15.

The GOP proposal widens the divide with Democrats in the Senate and Assembly, who want to not only extend the laws but strengthen tenant protections.

"It is insulting," Assemblywoman Linda Rosenthal (D-Manhattan) said of Young's bill. "Maybe this is some landlord's pipe dream, but it is not going to happen."

Assembly Democrats want to raise the de-control trigger to $3,000 monthly rent and $300,000 in annual income.

"This bill underscores that rent control should not be used to protect and enrich the wealthy by giving them special privileges that others don't have," Young said in a statement. "We need to create a more needs-based system, instead of having one that rewards people who are lucky enough to live in rent-controlled apartments, no matter what their salaries."

In a memo supporting the bill, Young called the current regulations "irrational."

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2011/05/gop-senators-nighmare-legislation-for-tenants

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Thank God I don't live in a city where most people live in apartments. This article means nothing to me because I have no idea what "rent control" refers to or what it's impact is on renters. :huh:

·
Super Moderator
8,547 Posts
if your making over 175,000 a year you can surely afford to pay more than $2000 a month for rent thats less than 8% of income ID LOVE to pay less than 8% for a mortgage or rent!

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if your making over 175,000 a year you can surely afford to pay more than $2000 a month for rent thats less than 8% of income ID LOVE to pay less than 8% for a mortgage or rent!
Sorry... didn't see that. Yes. Correct. Me too.

Your rent and security deposit is predicated upon your income. By deregulating... it saves those who are rich from paying more then a neighbor who is not rich.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Thank God I don't live in a city where most people live in apartments. This article means nothing to me because I have no idea what "rent control" refers to or what it's impact is on renters. :huh:
We're in Texas, we don't have rent control.

Basically it means that building owners cannot raise rent rates to reflect the economic realities.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
We're in Texas, we don't have rent control.

Basically it means that building owners cannot raise rent rates to reflect the economic realities.
So...if two identical apartments are rented to two people of different incomes (one over $175k and one under), the owner can't charge them the same price? If that's the case, it's no wonder everything is so screwed up in NY and Calif.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Wait, the democrats want to subsidize rich people? :laughing::crazy:

No wonder the average democrat voter would burn to death in a barn fire, they don't have sense enough to get out.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
So...if two identical apartments are rented to two people of different incomes (one over $175k and one under), the owner can't charge them the same price? If that's the case, it's no wonder everything is so screwed up in NY and Calif.
I'm not sure if the owner can charge the $175k person over the rent controlled price

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You think that's bad... check out REAP (rent escrow account program)

http://lahd.lacity.org/lahdinternet...rOwners/tabid/304/language/en-US/Default.aspx

They (county/state) are using it as a fund raising tool. They inspect without complaint... and publicly urge renters to call and complain with the enticement of reduced rent for infractions found. Some are needed, without doubt. The vast majority are not and consist of a crack in an electric plate or dented door knob. You can achieve compliance... the renter can punch a hole in the wall... and make another complaint. Back on the list you go. $150 each time they come out to inspect and an additional $50 for re-inspection.

Scam... causing foreclosures and rent increases. Once again... the left ruins almost everything it touches.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wait, the democrats want to subsidize rich people? :laughing::crazy
The left looks at it the exact opposite way... the poor will be made to pay more.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Howz 'bout this for a tenant law:

It's my ****ing building. I'll charge what I want for rent. I promise not to raise rent more than 5% in any year. If you can't afford it, get the **** out.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
They need to check out the $100 move in special here in the Jackson, TN hood. $400 a month for a drug, thieve, whore infested appartment so small that if you fart hard enough you'll your knock head on the ceiling. Thing is that if the land lord charges to much people will out so that keeps the prices in check, but sometimes the places are so crappy that that's the reason it's low cost. It's like anything else you get what you paid for. Just my $.02 on the topic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts