Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WASHINGTON — The Senate on Thursday voted to do away with an ethanol tax credit, an indication of waning support for subsidizing the industry as the nation grapples with deficit spending and federal debt.

Still, the tax credit likely will continue for some time because the legislation was attached to a stalled economic-development bill.

Thursday's 73-27 vote — a do-over on a proposal that Democrats largely rejected earlier this week on procedural grounds — drew support from 33 Republicans and 40 members of the Democratic caucus, including Washington state Sens. Patty Murray and Maria Cantwell.

"This subsidy is wasteful and duplicative," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., who authored the bill with Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla.

The 45-cent-per-gallon tax credit is offered to companies that blend ethanol with gasoline. The Government Accountability Office says the incentive is no longer necessary after a 2005 energy act required ethanol to be increasingly mixed with gas. The proposal also would end a 54-cent-per-gallon tariff on imported ethanol.

Supporters of the credit say it helps corn growers while reducing U.S. reliance on petroleum imports.

Despite pressure on GOP senators to not indirectly permit a tax increase by eliminating the nearly $6 billion annual subsidy without redirecting savings to another tax break, a majority of Republicans gave their support.

President Obama supports reducing the ethanol tax credit, but does not support a full repeal.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politics/2015343367_ethanol17.html

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
Since Bonne is not here any more I will step in for him....what the hell are these jerks doing...Ethanol has high octane and is made in the USA and is the greatest fuel since sliced bread...(Please don't use sliced bread for fuel). Yada Yada yada. Blah Blah Blah.. I know I am not a very good Bonne. :laughing:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Since Bonne is not here any more I will step in for him....what the hell are these jerks doing...Ethanol has high octane and is made in the USA and is the greatest fuel since sliced bread...(Please don't use sliced bread for fuel). Yada Yada yada. Blah Blah Blah.. I know I am not a very good Bonne. :laughing:
Ethanol may be a great fuel, but it's a bum deal for taxpayers. The subsidy totally screws with a market that works pretty well on it's own. Non-fuel uses for corn are much more expensive as a result. Of course, I'm speaking to Bon, not you. :laughing:

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
Ethanol may be a great fuel, but it's a bum deal for taxpayers. The subsidy totally screws with a market that works pretty well on it's own. Non-fuel uses for corn are much more expensive as a result. Of course, I'm speaking to Bon, not you. :laughing:
I don't even think it is a great fuel...poor energy density, too hygroscopic, and you cannot see the flames when it goes up....I am no longer speaking as Bon...it hurts too much. :laughing:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
The biggest problem I have with ethanol blends are, lousey gas mileage, and less power per burned unit.

Sure, it has high octane, but when blended with regular fuel and you buy 87 octane, you get 87 octane, whether or not the ethanol is 108.6. So, all that happens is we burn more gas, purchased at a higher price, and consequently pay more tax on.

If I were to make my own ethanol or run pure ethanol I could only do it after extensive modfication of the fuel delivery system and milling the heads to take advantage of the higher octane. The modification to the fuel delivery system would be necessary because ethanol is very hygroscopic and will leach any moisture in the seals in the fuel system in a car not designed to run it. To boot it's doing it on any car using a blend now that wasn't designed to run it.

Running a 108.6 octane fuel doesn't mean I will produce more power unless the engine and the tune are optimized for it. If I'm running 11.5:1 CR and using 93 octane pure gas, I'll make much more power than using that same configuration with 108.6 octane pure ethanol. It just makes less power per unit burned. However, if I up my CR to 15:1 the extra power gained from running a higher CR would probably make the same or better power.

The stoichiometric ratio of pure gasoline is 14.7:1 and ethanol is 9.79:1. That's why in order to get the same power you need to burn more fuel with ethanol.

Now, as far as the political issues regarding ethanol...there are a few 'interests' becoming very rich off the taxpayer's backs...all they have to do is keep congress feeling good about forcing ethanol usage by Joe taxpayer, as this whole boondoggle is subsidised. Because no practical motorist wants to pay more for less. It's just another fleecing of the American public, by a few bad actors in Congress and lobbyists.

The ethanol boondoggle is yet another instance of the unintended consequences of the left's attempts to social engineer by requiring obedience to an agenda designed by (debatable) 'superior' minds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts