Looks pretty good here in the service drive!!:thumbsup:

Let's see how it looks outside in the sun!!:surprised

Two shades darker than the rest of the car!!! :WTF

Call the service rep outside!!:thumbsup:

See the difference??:agree:

She calls the service manager out!!:cheers:

He doesn't see any color difference--now she doesn't either!!!!! :huh:

I say I am not satisfied!!:down:

She says--well, you didn't leave the car so we couldn't match the color right!!!:crazy:

ALERT! ALERT! Deer in the headlights approaching!!!

You had the old roof panel to match to!!!!!!! :thud:

SILENCE!!!!:spanked:

Well, you'll have to talk to the body shop manager Monday because he is gone for the day!!!:WTF

My response--I really don't care if it takes seven tries--they WILL match the color!!!:nuts:

I'll post pics tomorrow to show the difference.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well you obviously know what you need to do...stick to your guns. Chevy screwed this up in the first place so the onus is on them to git r done to your satisfaction.

Which dealership is doing the work? My roof hasn't started popping yet but I know my day must be coming. I'm sticking with the old axiom "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" on this matter given the variety of struggles I've seen posted.

I thought Chevy tried to repair your existing top. Sounds like they opted to simply get you a new replacement top, then paint it at the dealership. Is this the SOP now for roof repairs?

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Stand your ground:thumbsup:
Don't take any craaaaaaaaap:nuts:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's El Dorado in McKinney. They did the foam thing late last fall or early this year, can't remember.

Once it started heating up this year the foam fix failed--caught it before I sent the roof flying fortunately.

My understanding is that they try the foam first, and if/when it fails they go to the replacement top.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Last summer my roof completely flew off while going down the HWY. My replacement roof is of the old style (ABS) which has the foam treatment. Now this summer, its poping and cracking like crazy. Took it back to the dealer last week, they say they dont "see" anything wrong with it. Said they are gonna research it and call me back. This roof crap is getting very old!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
o6texasC6

I'd say "you won't believe this" but I know you will given how hot it is today in DFW.

My roof delaminated today. Now I get to endure what so many others have already. I'm taking mine to Huffines in Plano with fingers crossed....

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'd say "you won't believe this" but I know you will given how hot it is today in DFW.

My roof delaminated today. Now I get to endure what so many others have already. I'm taking mine to Huffines in Plano with fingers crossed....
good luck, i wouldn't let huffines fix a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. they painted a van and a z28 i had and the paint bubbled up 2 days after i picked it up. tell them you want a glass roof and you will pay the difference from the repair and a glass top. i did that on my 06 and got a glass roof for 350.00

·
Registered
55 Posts
good luck, i wouldn't let huffines fix a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. they painted a van and a z28 i had and the paint bubbled up 2 days after i picked it up. tell them you want a glass roof and you will pay the difference from the repair and a glass top. i did that on my 06 and got a glass roof for 350.00
It's my understanding they won't paint a new panel/roof until they first attempt to reglue the existing roof. Do you have a recommendation for a Dallas area Chevy dealer for this type of work?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I went to Frank Parra in Irving and Ray Wolfe was my service advisor. He knows how to handle these issues.

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
Another Cobalt solution for a Corvette problem. Corvette should have been spun off from Chevy long ago. The sales and service for a product line that averages 50% of the sales price of the vette = no sense IMO.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well you obviously know what you need to do...stick to your guns. Chevy screwed this up in the first place so the onus is on them to git r done to your satisfaction.

Which dealership is doing the work? My roof hasn't started popping yet but I know my day must be coming. I'm sticking with the old axiom "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" on this matter given the variety of struggles I've seen posted.

I thought Chevy tried to repair your existing top. Sounds like they opted to simply get you a new replacement top, then paint it at the dealership. Is this the SOP now for roof repairs?
It's going to happen--see the thread I started, and probably all of a sudden. When the crappy adhesive hits it drying out point, it starts to go fast--that's why some guys with front end popping up lost the panel completely. I was lucky, as it started with the rear, so no danger of getting caught in a slipstream. Even if no probs, take it to the dealer and demand a new roof. Like I said in the other thread, why should they gas? They get paid for it all.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
It's going to happen--see the thread I started, and probably all of a sudden. When the crappy adhesive hits it drying out point, it starts to go fast--that's why some guys with front end popping up lost the panel completely. I was lucky, as it started with the rear, so no danger of getting caught in a slipstream. Even if no probs, take it to the dealer and demand a new roof. Like I said in the other thread, why should they gas? They get paid for it all.

they wil give you a new roof the foam fix does nothing except for guarantee you another trip to the dealer for repairs.

WhiteRock did you ever fly a F100 while in the Air Force?

·
Registered
565 Posts
they wil give you a new roof the foam fix does nothing except for guarantee you another trip to the dealer for repairs.

WhiteRock did you ever fly a F100 while in the Air Force?
I agree. New roof is only way to go. Mine is coming off in the left front now, as well as the right rear, so will only drive with top off until they get the new panel in next week. Once it starts crackling, that's it. Drying/failing adhesive only spreads.

Never flew the Hun, but had a lot of friends who did. It basically phased out in '67-68 timeframe as front line fighter--105 and F-4 replaced it. I was in late '71-76, so Phantoms were sole front liners. Had A-7s and Thuds in SEA along with F-4s; several Guard units were still flying the Hun back home. BTW, they called it the Widow Maker when it first flew in SEA--with the IL Air Guard, I believe. Not fair--the plane was excellent, I've been told, the tactics we had to use sucked. (It was the first Wild Weasel, too.) So typical of the war, and one more reason there are so many names on the Wall.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I agree. New roof is only way to go. Mine is coming off in the left front now, as well as the right rear, so will only drive with top off until they get the new panel in next week. Once it starts crackling, that's it. Drying/failing adhesive only spreads.

Never flew the Hun, but had a lot of friends who did. It basically phased out in '67-68 timeframe as front line fighter--105 and F-4 replaced it. I was in late '71-76, so Phantoms were sole front liners. Had A-7s and Thuds in SEA along with F-4s; several Guard units were still flying the Hun back home. BTW, they called it the Widow Maker when it first flew in SEA--with the IL Air Guard, I believe. Not fair--the plane was excellent, I've been told, the tactics we had to use sucked. (It was the first Wild Weasel, too.) So typical of the war, and one more reason there are so many names on the Wall.

My dad was in the air force 64 - 68 and he used to work on the F100's.

·
Registered
565 Posts
They overnighted my panel, and the service guy--older than me and remembers back in the day stuff--he had a '63 409! called me to tell me it's in. Now to paint, sand, paint, sand, clear, sand and clear. I told him to goose them--at least they do the whole thing at the dealership, not send it out for painting, as I can only drive now with the roof off. Hoping, maybe tuesday...I didn't buy the car from them, so can't complain about the service too much. :cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts