Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. Can anyone speak to the performance potential of the Granatelli MAF Sensor? For a relatively inexpensive price and easy installation, they boast an impressive 12-15hp gains at the wheels. I'd be curious if anyone has seen those kinds of gains on a dyno pull.

Thanks, Tim

·
Registered
939 Posts
Just an FYI, those tests are usually run in 'ideal' conditions with pre-modded cars.

'Ideal' means the test is done at sea level, in temperatures conducive to horsepower on an engine that just had the oil changed and is in pristine condition, and with huge fans blowing cool air right into the intake.

A lot of times, the horsepower claims are Deltas (changes from current horsepower). The initial HP could have been 500+ on a modified car, and then after the MAF install, you get a 512-515 reading. This is because the car already has a full exhaust system, intake, ported/polished, perhaps even blown. Horsepower gains are all relative to what has been done to the car.

So, legally speaking, yeah... they could have seen a 15 horsepower gain, but thats only with the other mods helping out. On a bone-stock C6, you'll get a crisper throttle response, probably 1 or 2mpg more, and maybe a couple of horsepower.

Bottom Line, the MAF upgrade is a good one if you have long term plans, but don't expect to install it right off the bat and drop a second off your quarter time

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dearest Daksin,

Thanks so much for your helpful and informative laughing icon. If my question was naive, ill-informed or outright stupid, you could have siezed an opportunity to educate a fellow vette lover rather than ridicule him. I just got a C6 and know little about the mechanics of motor performance, hence, my participation in this message board and desire to learn from all of you. If you do not subscribe to the idea that "there are no stupid questions..." please refrain ridiculing people whose knowledge is not parallel or superior to your own.

If anyone is willing to help me understand what Daksin found so funny about my question I'm all ears. I love my C6, have invested a ton of money and heart into making it as fast and fun as possible and am just enjoying finding new ways to squeeze a few more ponies out of this incredible car.

thanks, Tim

·
Registered
939 Posts
Hope my response helps out. I thought it was a good question, and I wondered about it myself... so I did a little research and discovered what I just told ya.

Thats what DC is for, helping each other out! :partyon:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AFAMack07,

I appreciate your thoughtful and helpful reply. It is great news, as I have indeed added quite a few mods thus far, including kooks headers, vararam air intake, throttle body spacer, corsa touring exhaust, and HP Tuners custom tune. So based on what you've said, this little bolt on would likely yield a good return on horsepower.

Thanks again, Tim

·
Registered
939 Posts
Tim, you are set! sounds like that MAF is the last 'beginner' mod you have to do... My guess, you're probably getting 460 at the crank.

(Beginner meaning before you throw on a blower or squirt some nitrous in there :cheers: )

Happy Vettin'

Mike:thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Hey folks. Can anyone speak to the performance potential of the Granatelli MAF Sensor? For a relatively inexpensive price and easy installation, they boast an impressive 12-15hp gains at the wheels. I'd be curious if anyone has seen those kinds of gains on a dyno pull.

Thanks, Tim
Nope, I do not think you will see that gain. My 100mm Lingenfelter MAF netted 8 rwhp on a car making 500+ rwhp. Jim Hall is coming out with a 100mm MAF that uses the Z06 Blade sensor like my LPE. Neither is cheap because of the Hitachi Blade sensor but a step up from the C6 MAF.

:cheers:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
If anyone is willing to help me understand what Daksin found so funny about my question I'm all ears. I love my C6, have invested a ton of money and heart into making it as fast and fun as possible and am just enjoying finding new ways to squeeze a few more ponies out of this incredible car.

thanks, Tim
Tim, unfortunately you walked into a widely discussed topic. The Granatelli MAFs have been around for quite a while and the opinions on them vary greatly. Some say they are junk others say they improve performance. I think Daksin is probably one of the ones that thinks they are junk. :huh:

·
Registered
939 Posts
:agree: No love lost, its all good :cheers:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After the tune and bolt ons, my C6 reached 372rwhp- which was admittedly a little disappointing to me based on other posts I've seen. It was 335rwhp baseline. Which MAF sensor would you guys recommend? What are the arguments against this product and do they have any validity?

thanks again for your perspectives~ Tim

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
The only comments I have heard is from the shop that works on my car. They advised against going to the Granatelli MAF when my car motor was only Headers, intake and a tune. The reason given was it made the car hard to get the tune "just right". I went to the LPE MAF after I installed the LPE 403.

:cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts