Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:huh:
I am on my first vette(95 LT1 vert) and am not really sure about some of the modifications. The first one in particular I am looking at is the granatelli MAF sensor. Has anyone installed one and noticed a change for the better? I just purchased a flowmaster cat back system and I am planning on the ram air modification (the one that goes through the front license plate) So my question is...Is the granatelli worth it, and what can I expect from the installation?
Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
The MAF, K&N and exhaust are a good set of mods to get started with. With these three together, you will feel some seat of the pants improvement.

Can't speak for the granatelli since I haven't used one but I'm pretty happy with the ported stock MAF.

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
StangSlayer said:
:huh:
I am on my first vette(95 LT1 vert) and am not really sure about some of the modifications. The first one in particular I am looking at is the granatelli MAF sensor. Has anyone installed one and noticed a change for the better? I just purchased a flowmaster cat back system and I am planning on the ram air modification (the one that goes through the front license plate) So my question is...Is the granatelli worth it, and what can I expect from the installation?
Thanks
I think you are wasting your money on the MAF with a stock motor. For $300+, I think you'd be better off putting that cash in your gas tank for cruising.

As for the ram air, I don't think you'll FEEL any gain, because it really doesn't start the help until high speeds are attained. Any increase will not show up on a dyno because you'd need 100MPH wind blowing into the opening in the plate. Also, beware of the potential issues with water getting gulped into the motor. I don't think you need to worry about rain, but standing water or monsoon downpours could pose a problem.

The exhaust is good mod. You might not feel or see a gain with the stock motor, but it'll really help other mods (headers) down the road. And, your car will SEEM faster because of the evil sound. The factory exhaust isn't a huge restriction. I picked up zero HP with Corsa's. And, I might have lost a little torque.

Here are some good threads for you to read:

LT1 and aftermarket cams...
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2017

Links and sites with LT1/LT4 info and mods discussions.
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1994

Matching mods for the best gains...
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1853

This site talks about an LT1 WS6 Trans Am and the mods... with dyno pulls after each mod! Very educational...
http://www.ws6.com/mycar.htm

Here's some LT1 technical information...
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1284

That should get you started.

And WELCOME TO DIGITALCORVETTES!!!!!!

Let us know if we can help further. :)

:buhbye:

·
Registered
509 Posts
84 GRANDSPORT said:
:agree: Or you could throw some gear at it!:surprised
Most bang for the buck...
probably costs close to 300$ or a few more.. and you will feel a big difference.. especially if you go from a 2.59 to a 3.73 or 3.54 I am thinking of upgradeing again from the 3.07 diff I bought to a 3.73 because I have my stock carrier sitting in the basement and a gear set it pretty cheap..
-Rick

·
Super Moderator
8,550 Posts
the guys are correct that a change to a 3.73 rear gear has a very noticable effect on the cars accelleration, what your doing in effect is allowing the engine to spend a far higher percentage of its time in the upper rpm ranges where more power is made by the engine and allowing the transmissions gearing to amplify that extra power thru the mechanical advantage of that gearing. it will work much better on an LT1 than a L98 simply because a STOCK LT1 breaths MUCH BETTER at higher RPMS than a STOCK L98 can, in fact if you have a dana 44 that comes in a manual trans car , rather than a dana 36 that comes in an auto trans vette, you might even want to think about going to a 4.11 rear gear
Another factor thats sometimes overlooked is that a 2800rpm-3200rpm high stall converter in an auto trans car adds significantly to the cars ability to stay in that more efficient upper rpm range, the addition of both the high stall converter and stiffer rear gears will make the car much faster, in fact close to a full second faster in some cases Ive seen
but be aware that your likely to need to change your driving style (especially launching from a standing start)and youll more than likely need to get larger rear tires to be able to apply that extra available torque at the rear wheels and that your gas milage will drop noticably, your average engine rpm levels and heat levels will rise why? well that same increase in average rpms that allows about 18% more power strokes per minute, for more power at the rear wheels adds the heat from 18% more power strokes per minute to the engines oil and coolent temps potentially making the car will not be as pleasant to drive on long trips
also be aware that your engine will be even more responsive to cam,cylinder head, and intake changes that improve air flow thru the engine when you DO get around to working on the engine!!
keep in mind that an L98s air flow and rpm range and hp potential can be improved very significantly with the addition of aftermarket heads, intake and cam changes

·
Premium Member
10,489 Posts
For a LT1 auto the max I suggest is a 3.73 although a 3.54 works really well.

For a LT1 6spd, which has a 3.45 you could do a 3.73 or even a 4.10

For a L98 Auto, you could swap to a stock 3.07 gear or the MAX of a 3.54

for a L98 6spd, which has a 3.45 you could go to a 3.73

for a L98 4+3, which has a 3.07 you could also go to 3.54 I would guess

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
I'm going to be ignorant for a second:

What does a 1994 A4 LT1 have in it?

·
Registered
509 Posts
bkuper said:
I'm going to be ignorant for a second:

What does a 1994 A4 LT1 have in it?
Stock it should have either a 2.59 or 3.07 Ratio, Danna 36.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Aside from what the others have said, I will add the following:
If your computer is stock, you would be well served to have it "reprogrammed". There are differing theories on which way to go from here. It depends on how computer "savvy" you are, how much time you have to devote to the cause and how much money you have to spend.You're Vette is OBD1. You may want to play with Tuner Cat or one of the other Software programs.
I live in an area that is devoid of shops with the equipment (and savvy) to dyno tune the fuel map. In my case I also needed some internal functions disabled to allow the use of an LT4 with computer in an '84 Vette. The LT4 is OBD2. The only shop in the country that had that ability was Ed Wright in Tulsa,Ok. In all the modifications that I have made, I have to admit that the Three Bills I gave Ed for the computer work was the best spent.
One piece of advice. Make all of your other mods first. Each mod affects the ultimate fuel map setting. There is no sense spending money on a mod that cannot possibly add H.P until the proper amount of fuel has been added through out the range.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You may consider 1.6 roller rockers, they will give you 7 -12 hp and are a good match when you throw in a cam in the future.

The stock programming on a 95 LT-1 is very good and little is needed until more radical mods like; cams, injectors, or stroking is done. Then, look into programs like LT1Edit for changes to the PCM.

Gordon

·
Registered
135 Posts
Like the guys said you most likely won't see any gain with the MAF.
Granetelli also makes a less expensive MAF kit. It's bascially a stock Z06 MAF which is larger diameter than the stock LT1 and has the screens removed. It comes with an adapter which plugs directly into the stock wiring harness.

I think I paid around $150 for this kit, for that price it was worth trying but didn't have any effect on performance at the track.
I think the LT1 MAF is actually pretty decent, even for modified cars. From what I understand some of the Grand National guys are switching to the LT1 MAF.
Your next mod should be gears. Has been the best mod for me so far.
My 94 vert went from running [email protected] in the 1/4 mi. with the stock 2.59 gear to running consistent 13.30'[email protected]/105mph with a change to 3.54 gearing. My best is a [email protected]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts