Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm restoring a GS replica that was the centerfold car in Corvette Fever back in November of 91. Looking for sources for custom plexiglass (headlight covers/windshield) and a front spoiler. Car has an interesting history and I'd like to bring it back to its "original" condition.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Originally posted by blackjack ...<br>
I'm restoring a GS replica that was the centerfold car in Corvette Fever back in November of 91. Looking for sources for custom plexiglass (headlight covers/windshield) and a front spoiler. Car has an interesting history and I'd like to bring it back to its "original" condition.<br>
wOW!!! :surprised I cant help you on the parts but I can say you own an awsome car! I would love to get a 63 gs clone!:excited: Any pictures?:huh:

T

·
0 Posts
Please keep us posted on your project. Grand Sport replicas are way cool. Is it a D&D ?

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Interesting project. Post some pics and a little info. :) :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
I love those GS's!!! Here's few pics I took last summer at the museum:

http://www.vettefinders.com/79registry/images/images/DSC01469_JPG.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.vettefinders.com/79registry/images/images/DSC01476_JPG.jpg

Plexiglass shouldn't be too hard to come by, try yellow pages!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the interest.

I'll try to post pictures later this week.

Car is a GS roadster relica. It was originally built back in the late 80's by Dale Smith from OEM Glass. He was one of the original Bloomington directors. Jeff Leach was also involved. Also owned at one time by Joe Roebuck from "Route 66" and the late Bob Gold from Bob Gold auctions. Car was featured in Corvette Fever, and Super Chevy. I'm told it was also in Road & Track, but I haven't found the issue.

I first saw (and fell in love with) the car when it was offered for sale in the Dupont Registry back in '92. Couldn't afford it back then. Searched for it for years and found it at Carlisle 3 years ago.

Car was mechanically sound, but needed a cosmetic "update".

Drove it for a while "as is". Has a 377 "stroker" motor which I've been told was built by Smokey Yunick. Block was completely chromed! It's a blast!

"Correct" parts are difficult to find, but Jeff has been a help. As have several other GS fans.

Hope to have it finished by the spring.

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
Groovyjay, can I upload those pics to the gallery on your behalf? Do you have more Vette pics? You seem to have a good eye for photography.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts