Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The rain went away and we had a race!!!! Thanks to all the Corvette owners and race fans that came out to Race 6 of the Great Lakes Corvette Challenge at Byron Dragway on 9/14. The sky cleared up and made it worth the trip in the rain.

In the early rounds Brett L of Indianapolis, IN cut a .588 light and hit a 14.39 against a 14.38 dial eliminating Ron H’s 12.39 second ZR-1 from Morton, IL.

Mike E’s blue street racing monster from Lansing took a loss to a Race prepped 81 T-top driven by Ed M. from Addison. A 9.40 run against a 9.40 dial with a 5.26 light is pretty tough to beat!!!!! Nice Job Ed!

Loudmouth (Mike P. from Rockford) took a few miles off his clutch in a loss to a Corvette Challenge first timer "Wisconsin Vette" - Joe S. (of Reedsburg, WI). In the other race, Bill P. of lisle (our race 5 champ) red-lighted out to Mike T. of Byron (who was driving the red 92 LT1 vert).

In the Semi’s, Brett’s L98 eliminate Mike T’s LT1 and Ed’s 81 survived a “double breakout” against Joe’s 03 Z06.

In the Final, everyone predicted the WHITE CORVETTE would win. We were all right:D. Brett with his “white” L98 caught Ed sleeping at the tree (.824 light, 9.43 on a 9.40 dial in the “white” 81 T-Top) for the win! Congrats Brett!

Official results: Brett L of Indianapolis, IN wins (.577 light and a 14.469 run on a 14.38 dial).

Ed M. wins the best reaction time competition (a .526 in round 1) AND bragging rights for lowest ET with 9.39 in round 2. GREAT RACING GUYS!

T H E F I N A L S for the 03 Great Lakes Challenge are on Sunday, October 19th back at Byron. BE THERE!

The championship is TOTALLY up for grabs. The points will all be updated on the site in the next week or so!!!!!!!! See www.corvettechallenge.org for further details.

We welcome all Corvette owners to come out and join the fun!!!!!
ZR_Don

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don - It turns out that I broke the main shaft in my transmission (its a GM part - one of the few left) on that first time run of the day! Thanks for your help getting my C5 loaded into my trailer. Chuck at FLP says it is rare for this to happen (he has seen only two others) Dan and Chuck over at FLP think I have a good chance to be back at the strip this weekend! See you next month!!!

JR

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JR,
Glad to hear it should be fixed soon!!!!
Good luck at the rest of your events and we will see ya on 10/19 back at byron!

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
ZR_Don said:
JR,
Glad to hear it should be fixed soon!!!!
Good luck at the rest of your events and we will see ya on 10/19 back at byron!
I can't wait for 10/19! I am ditching the drag radials, and going back to street tires!!!

The drag radials never helped my 60ft time, and they lowered my overall mph.

With a bit more wheelspin off the line, it acts like a torque converter on an auto... much better for ET's with an LT4.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm glad there was a decent turnout for this race. It was still raining in Naperville about 11:00 and I decided I didn't want to go through the cleanup again, so I took a "bye" on this one.

I'm looking forward to October!

Did Marc Haibeck and some of the other ZR-1 crew show up for this one?

- Kevin

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Kevin!

One ZR-1 came in from central Illinois. (Mine stayed in the garage too).

Mark and his ZR-1 crew were suppose to be there but the rain scared them off too.

I saw Debbie and a bunch of the other ZR-1 owners at effingham last weekend and I beleive most of them plan to attend on 10/19.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
ZR_Don said:
The championship is TOTALLY up for grabs. The points will all be updated on the site in the next week or so!!!!!!!! See www.corvettechallenge.org for further details.
ZR_Don [/B]
So Don,

This was posted what...Sept. 26th???
Any word on the standings before the next race?
I know this must be a thankless PITA!!
But we DO appreciate it.
Matt383

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don - I'm back on the road! Ran the Grove for the Northshore Corvette Clubs final drag race outing. I managed to get to the finals and did not survive a "double breakout" (I ran 11.12 on a 11.20 dial) Oh well, I had seven runs that day and NOTHING BROKE!!! I'm planning on running at the Grove 10/11 at the Drag News Magazine Bracket Championships - Wish Me Luck! see you on the 19th!!

JR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts