Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

I'm Matt from Newcastle, Australia. I'm 25 and I've always owned classic Aussie muscle cars. My first was a blue '72 LJ Torana, and then a red '75 XB Falcon Coupe (like Mad Max's). I've always wanted a Corvette, and I've saved my pennies for years. With the sale of the XB, one just sorta fell into my lap. It's beyond what I hoped for when I wanted to own a 'Vette - since they are rare over here I never expected to end up with a chrome bumper C3. I'm in way over my head here.

She's a 1971 365hp 454 coupe. AC, PS, Tile/Tele, auto.

She drives very well, the motor is fresh (valve springs, bearings, rings, camshaft, etc), all bushes have been done, new springs/shocks, new bearings, new VBP strut rods and adjusting sleeves, new carpet, all gauges work, new PWR radiator with electric fans, it doesn't overheat and even the vacuum systems work and have their correctly coloured hoses!

The intention is to tidy it up, build a nice driveable 496" stroker (500hp region), nice tyres, good stereo and drive the pants off it.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,773 Posts
Nice find mate. It looks like it is in real good shape. That smile you're grinning with will disappear in about , uh, maybe, err. Well actually never

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

It is in great condition and really doesn't need much work. It's not immaculate, but it's a great driver. Since 'vettes are so rare over here, it turns a lot of heads!

It would be nice to make it a show car, but I just really love to drive it, as it drives great. I'm enjoying it for what it is, not worrying about what it's not. It will never be the perfect original numbers-matching car. But I could never drive or modify one of those!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Matt, welcome to the world of vette ownership.
The forum is a wealth of information for whatever you need to do or want to do.

If you need info for locally obtainable stuff - yell out or drive down the f3 an hour and have a beer.

Cheers Adam

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Matt, welcome to the world of vette ownership.
The forum is a wealth of information for whatever you need to do or want to do.

If you need info for locally obtainable stuff - yell out or drive down the f3 an hour and have a beer.

Cheers Adam
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the offer. I'll have to take you up on it once I finish up with this crazy work period! Also thanks for the offer on getting parts - that's why I think I'm in over my head here. With the warm welcome I've gotten here, I'd love to buy a round for everyone.

Are there any local 'vette clubs that would accept a non-original car?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Are there any local 'vette clubs that would accept a non-original car?

Absolutely, you will find that the 'purists' are the minority here, I don't know what it's like in the states.

Ime a bit older than you but a history of about 20 show cars, street drag cars , hq's with big blocks, torana's, commodores etc. I've never really mixed or been involved with any of the purists, - if they do exist ?

I would much rather see a loud, fat, low corvette that has the look of what the owner wanted in his car, it's an extension of their personality to a certain degree, they have either given a lot of thought, done lots of work or have had to pay someone for the work to produce the image of the vehicle they wanted. I would much rather see this than a stock vette.

I'll contradict myself now and say I am a sucker for an original c1 and c2.

Lots of clubs around, can be a bit clicky. We are members of Californian cruzin, they are Newcastle based and are a good mix of 50's through to current American muscle and classic.
We do 99% of our runs in the Newcastle area, so we are up your way every couple of weeks in either the vette or camaro.

You don't have to join a club, you can come on the runs and decide, do what you want.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe the next time the club is out cruising I'll bring out the Corvette and maybe get chatting with some members and ask about joining.

Thanks a bundle Adam!

·
Registered
710 Posts
G'day mate! Welcome to DC Matt.

I drive an Aussie car and you an American! :cheers:

How do they treat you with the left hand drive down there?

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Welcome to DC. Love those steel bumper C3s. Looks like you have a nice one:partyon::partyon:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pontiac GTO?

They are lenient on left hand drive cars if they are over a certain age. I'm thinking 30 years, but don't quote me on that!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Pontiac GTO?

They are lenient on left hand drive cars if they are over a certain age. I'm thinking 30 years, but don't quote me on that!
Yep. 04. I love it.

Glad to hear they're not giving you too hard of a time. I know some countries are really strict about that. Thought you guys were too, but maybe that's just for newer models. :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts