Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my 355 rebuild is going but not to happy with the sound of the exhaust it sounds like a Grocery Getter.

If I put diffent ratio rocker arms 1.6, 1.65 or 1.7 will this give me a nastyer sounding exhaust tone.

If it will change the exhaust tone should I do both intake and exaust of just intake or exhaust.

The car runs good but I now want a little nastyer sounding car vett not like a Grocery Getter.

·
Super Moderator
8,519 Posts
rockers ratio changes will increase the effective lift by maybe 8% and change the effective duration maybe a degree or two at most, neither change will have a noticeable effect on your exhaust tone , and while it may give you 6-15 more peak hp, its certainly not going to make a truly noticeable change in the cars idle.
changes that increase compression ratio,increased displacement ,significant changes in cam timing, like a tighter LSA and longer exhaust duration MAY help as will a different exhaust system

If you install a TRUE full length 3" dual system with headers, and a low restriction muffler design, it will give you a noticeable change in the exhaust tone, but you probably can,t get that to fly in the peoples republic of KALIFORNIA

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just want to do it right swap cam rocker arms only Like to go with a roller cam but is worth the money or just live with what combo I have now.

rockers ratio changes will increase the effective lift by maybe 8% and change the effective duration maybe a degree or two at most, neither change will have a noticeable effect on your exhaust tone , and while it may give you 6-15 more peak hp, its certainly not going to make a truly noticeable change in the cars idle.
changes that increase compression ratio,increased displacement ,significant changes in cam timing, like a tighter LSA and longer exhaust duration MAY help as will a different exhaust system

If you install a TRUE full length 3" dual system with headers, and a low restriction muffler design, it will give you a noticeable change in the exhaust tone, but you probably can,t get that to fly in the peoples republic of KALIFORNIA

·
Registered
31 Posts
Those rocker arms wont change the sound a bit. You need a performance muffler or exhaust to do that.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Magna Flows

i have Magna Flows Now
Those rocker arms wont change the sound a bit. You need a performance muffler or exhaust to do that.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I knew the cam I put in was not a full on race type choppy idel type cam but I would timk it would have meaner than stock tone to it.

I check out your cam.

Hasn't your cam added to your engine's music?

The Crane 114132 cam added a noticeable lope to my motor, and it's mild.

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
I knew the cam I put in was not a full on race type choppy idel type cam but I would timk it would have meaner than stock tone to it.
Yea, the crane is only a step above stock too.

You still running a stock cat converter? A replacement high flow cat (perfectly legal) will make a big difference in opening things up. Just throwing another idea out there...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tryed to get a High Flow Cat know one will ship one to Cal ya it sucks.

Ca want to gety there cut and tell you what you cant have I though take a drive out state and pick one up.

Or try to find some one out of state have then send it to me.
Yea, the crane is only a step above stock too.

You still running a stock cat converter? A replacement high flow cat (perfectly legal) will make a big difference in opening things up. Just throwing another idea out there...

·
Premium Member
369 Posts

I check out your cam.
I just happen to have a Crane 114132 cam and lifter kit new in box for sale. Was $225.95 from Summit, care to make an offer? I decided to go retro roller.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts