Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the LATEST pictures are a couple years old, taken on the first day we had electric as we were just stuffing things in out of the rain on day one, over 1/2 the tools a couple engines and 4 various welders were not off the truck yet

a few more pics, its still a total mess while Im in the process of BUILDING and moving in but IM getting there slowly, I get asked this frequently

answer, Im just an old (67) now retired HOTRODDER and mechanical engineer ,whos been building cars and engines, helping my friends on a semi constant basis for well over 40 years, raced a few corvettes, PONTIAC G.T.O.s ,ROAD RUNNERS, CUDAs ,CAMAROS, Ive build or rebuild over a hundred engines, swapped suspensions, and learned on the way.

IVE learned to K.I.S.S. (KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID)
IVE learned that a FEW QUALITY parts will BEAT lots of junk
IVE learned careful clearancing and attention to details makes a HUGE DIFFERANCE
IVE learned researching and learning from other people mistakes is FAR cheaper and faster than making your own in a car build.
IVE learned to do extensive research BEFORE buying parts
IVE learned NEVER BUY PARTS that you get on (DEALS) if they dont match your goals
Ive learned that building engines for maximum AVERAGE TQ IN the RPM RANGE youll use the car beats building for maximun PEAK hp numbers
IVE learned asking lots of questions is far cheaper than makeing lots of mistakes
IVE learned that a cars performance depends a great deal on its POWER TO WEIGHT RATIO.
IVE learned that to have fun,your combo must be BOTH dependable and faster than MOST but not ALL the competition (most guys will never afford the expence in being the fastest car in your area)
IVE learned a CAR that breaks down is a TOTAL P.I.T.A. and RELIEABILITY is VERY IMPORTANT!

and like many of you IM broke most of the time, because of this hobby,but always glad to help out

btw if your interested (look up my home page ,data base

http://www.grumpysperformance.com/

) where Im slowly transfering my tons of info into one location for you guys to easily access

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
glad to meet/in picture you seem like a nice guy :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
Thanks for the thorough intro Grump! You've been a HUGE help to many, especially myself, throughout the years. Your vast knowledge never seems to curb your friendly demeanor.

:thumbsup:

Quite the setup you've got going!

·
Super Moderator
8,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
always glad to assist guys:thumbsup:

·
Sir Dude
17,444 Posts
Age and experience will beat youth and enthusiasm evey day...:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
8,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its OLD AGE and the hard won experiance thats necessary to be devious & treacherious
:laughing: and KNOWING when to let things just slide bye when they aren,t worth the trouble to get envolved with.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Nice set-up Grumpy...How does that place hold up in the Florida heat? I see you got a mess of ceiling fans but it doesn't look like there is any other ventillation other than the doors..you got A/C units in there or do you just like to work with the overhead doors open?

·
Super Moderator
8,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice set-up Grumpy...How does that place hold up in the Florida heat? I see you got a mess of ceiling fans but it doesn't look like there is any other ventillation other than the doors..you got A/C units in there or do you just like to work with the overhead doors open?

those pics are over 9 years old, Ive got twice the fans installed since then, THREE ROWS, NOW ...what you don,t see is two 3000 cfm exhaust fans in the attic roof, theres screen vents in the eves, while its not air conditioned yet, its no hotter than sitting out under a large shade tree, and a noticeable breeze

·
Super Moderator
8,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THANKS! I worked, planned, saved and invested for 37 years, waiting and planning for retirement too build my dream garage:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Real nice brother !!! I can honestly say "I wish you were my neighbour".
That way, when I start my car up, nobody would complain. :thumbsup:
We should have a "who we are thread" with pics.
most of MY current neighbors raise HORSES , ride horses , and drive TRUCKS:laughing: while I don,t mind a bit, having a few hotrodders near by leaving long dark parralel lines on the pavement on rare occassions would be pleasant vs the (road apples) that are currently fairly common

·
The Punisher
7,092 Posts
Wow, the infamous grumpyvette really is a real person! With all the help/knowlege you've provided everyone here on DC, I was thinking you were some super-computer/automobile giant database. :laughing:

DC would not be the same without you grumpy. Thanks for all you do, and will do in the future! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,252 Posts
its OLD AGE and the hard won experiance thats necessary to be devious & treacherious
:laughing: and KNOWING when to let things just slide bye when they aren,t worth the trouble to get envolved with.:thumbsup:
:agree:

BTW...your sorta cute in that hat!! Grumpy...what makes you grumpy??

·
Registered
265 Posts
:agree:

BTW...your sorta cute in that hat!! Grumpy...what makes you grumpy??
Got to be that HAT !!!!!

Thanks for all your great info and help:partyon:

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I really need to take a short ride over to lox some day. :cheers:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Love the garage. Nice setup near the lake too. My idea retirement spot. Just put a bunk in the garage and a pizza/chinese delivery store within 10 minutes.:D

My gf is afraid my garage will be bigger than our house....valid concern.:laughing:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Wow -- impressive house.... ehhhh garage. I only wish I had the land to build somethign like that.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts