Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=24

I got asked what compressor I use, well heres a picture, I use twin 7hp/60 gallon compressors feeding a single garage wide run of schedual 80 1/2" PVC piping with brass fittings rated at 660 PSI, yeah! IM well aware you should NEVER USE PVC for air, I used it for 10 PLUS years ,in my old shop, my buddies used it for over 12 years in his shop,and its what Ive installed in the new garage, schedual 80 1/2" PVC piping with brass fittings rated at 660 PSI, if and when I have problems it will be replaced, I fully agree, if you used larger dia,or schedual 40 your just asking for problems

·
Registered
473 Posts
You rock man. You are already a DC legend.
Yes it is finally good to see the man that writes the very informative and helpful posts on this site. However, most people might not know that Grumpy is a legend on other sites as well.

I once had a Datsun 280Z that I converted into a hot rod using a Chevy 350 and a 700R4 transmission. I learned a lot about the Datsun/350 swap by going to a site called HybridZ.org. Grumpy has much respect and is held in very high regard on that Datsun board.

I was very pleased to see that "Grumpyvette" was a part of this site when I bought my Vette and started surfing the pages here. Keep up the good work my friend and enjoy your retirement, I am sure you have earned it:thumbsup:

·
Registered
926 Posts
hey grumpy....whatta say you invite me over to that shop...and we fix all the grimlens in my vette haha...nice shop i was looking to build one out in the country from houston....but things went sour

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I do that all the time with some of the local guys, if you were located closer Id say drive on over!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Not sure when this will get to you. On CF I posted my Herbert cam delema and no cam for 4 weeks and it was suggested I contact Chris at Straub Technologies for cam and lifters. They use 8620 for their cams and sell morel lifters. He really got my attention with their Morel brand pressure fed lifters. Do you know this company?
Thanks in advance,

Vic

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
http://www.pbmperformance.com/store.php?catId=420

Ive used them without problems, ERSON sells them, in fact the last couple engines I built Ive used the ERSON lifters MADE BY MOREL,but keep in mind the cam lobe design and spring load rates have a great deal to do with the lifter life span along with the oil flow rates. the more aggressive the lobe design and the higher the spring loads the lower the lifter and cams expected life span will be, especially if you get up into valve control issue inducing rpm ranges

·
Registered
71 Posts
How many horses with your vette?

Grump,

Any room next store? We are thinking of bringing our horses and vettes south for the winter ( 2 of the best worlds)
That way I could get you riding (old style on 1/4 horses) and you could guide me new style ( vettes) The retirement part....I'm there as well partner.....It is our time to realize our dreams....looks like your on your way...and good for you.

Trapper 77

Yep...that's horse fence ..beyond the vette an 85 (california)Caballero...

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Grump,

Any room next store? We are thinking of bringing our horses and vettes south for the winter ( 2 of the best worlds)
That way I could get you riding (old style on 1/4 horses) and you could guide me new style ( vettes) The retirement part....I'm there as well partner.....It is our time to realize our dreams....looks like your on your way...and good for you.

Trapper 77

Yep...that's horse fence ..beyond the vette an 85 (california)Caballero...

Id love to have some auto enthusiast neighbors, feel free to stop by and look for a great deal on a house & barn as theres several for sale in the area:D :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I was looking thru old notes and found a few pictures
I get asked this frequently
how old are you?how do you know this stuff?
answer, I'm just an old (62) now retired HOTRODDER and mechanical engineer ,whos been building cars and engines, helping my friends on a semi constant basis for well over 40 years,
here,s a picture of me in 1970 with a 1969 camaro I installed a BBC-496 with a tunnel ram into

LINK TO PICTURE from 1970

here I am in1999

no Im not a computer, like the rumors say, just an old geezer! in a red shirt and a old hat

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Very very impressive, that is an amazing garage!:surprised

Yes, thank you Grumpy for all the advice you have given all of us through the years. You are the Corvette GURU!:partyon:

·
Registered
673 Posts
Who doesn't wish they lived next to or at least near Grumpy. Man's a cornacopia of car knowledge. :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Who doesn't wish they lived next to or at least near Grumpy. Man's a cornacopia of car knowledge. :cheers:

your free to move into the neighborhood, theres a few homes for sale, and ID love to have a few car guys locally, to help out when I get bored or get help from at times
while Im waiting for a few dozen of you muscle car guys to move in the local area, your free to access the data base Im transferring my information into for easy access/reference
www.grumpysperformance.com
prices on homes in my are are about 60% of what they were three years ago, and florida has no state income taxes, and our winters last all of a week or so when temps drop into the 40s
and of course there are fringe benefits, in that girls tend to wear a whole lot less in this heat most of the year and a bikini and tee shirt is common.
plus you would be amazed at the stuff that gets done for free or at most the cost of materials

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Hey Paul, Thanks for the assist with the 81 Coupe a while back. I stripped out most of the plumbing, and the entire exhaust. The Q-Jet is now 100% and I went with Hooker Headers and side pipes. Looks much better and also sounds better.
Great pics of the shop. You're getting into the "GURU" status now.:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hey Paul, Thanks for the assist with the 81 Coupe a while back. I stripped out most of the plumbing, and the entire exhaust. The Q-Jet is now 100% and I went with Hooker Headers and side pipes. Looks much better and also sounds better.
Great pics of the shop. You're getting into the "GURU" status now.:thumbsup:

any "GURU status "
is only the result of LEARNING from a ton of mistakes made, in the past, and the willingness to share ,what experience we the more experienced members ,have gained, and pointing out what did or did NOT work well.

or as my dad said

"only an idiot touches the red hot stove burner TWICE, most of us LEARN from our mistakes"
&

"if your going to be DUMB, you better be TOUGH because life's going to be hard & expensive, its better to be observant and learn from OTHER PEOPLES MISTAKES"

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
:agree:100%

BTW, the price of homes down in Florida sounds better
as the cold weather is rolling in up North, although I'm
not completely sure about the "road apples".:laughing:

The brides retiring at the end of the school year and I'm
trying to talk her into the move. we shall see what we shall see.

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
When I grow up I want to have a shop like that. :partyon:

That means it will probably never happen. :laughing:

I will probably be stuck in my micro shop until I croak, but it is getting the job done.

Your shop is a man's dream shop come true Grumpy. Give us some more pics so if I ever do get the chance to build me a first rate shop like that I will have something to emulate.

:partyon:

·
Registered
673 Posts
Well hello Paul and DC. I've not been here in quite some time. Sold my last vette a little over two years ago and have yet to get into another. A post from Paul is enough to bring me back around though to say hi.

Hope things are well. Oddly enough i still have your phone number stored away in my phone under Grumpy Paul just in case I ever need some sagely advice on a car I may purchase. ;)

Hope all is well with you and with everyone else.

Steve

21 - 40 of 41 Posts