Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm Sven from holland. I've started building a GS replica and I had a question about the doorhandle. If you look at the original GS coupe the doorhandle is placed different compared to a normal C2 coupe. Is this because the GS body is sort of wide body or because it is aerodynamically better to place the doorhandle like that??? I'm using a mold from a normal coupe for the body of the replica so I have to make some adjustments. That includes the placing of the doorhandle. Hope you can help me.

Greetings Svenster

·
Registered
525 Posts
After looking a several photos in the Gallery I would say that the door handle on the GS and the regular C2 is in the same location on the door, but the GS door panel has a recess for the handle. I would agree with your assessment that it was done for aerodynamics.

As far as te actual dimensions of the recess, possibly someone on the forum that has access to one of these GS cars can help. I doubt that you could accurately dimension it from a photo.

Good Luck on your project, and don't forget to post some pics of your progress.

:D :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Svenster said:
. If you look at the original GS coupe the doorhandle is placed different compared to a normal C2 coupe. Is this because the GS body is sort of wide body or because it is aerodynamically better to place the doorhandle like that???
Greetings Svenster
Hi Svenster,

My impression has always been that the door handle was recessed to get it "out of the wind". The handle assy that was used was not a normal vette production model. It appears to have come from a late fifties or early sixties pick-up.

I did some work on a D&D GS replica and need to find my pics to post one. If you have the Vette Vues Fact Book for 63/67 by M.F. Dobbins there is a pic of the handle on page 15 & 19 on an original GS

Good luck with your project, it sounds like a lot of fun:D

Brian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply's. It's nice to hear that the doorhandle is placed in a recess in the door. This way I can use the normal body for my project. The car that I'm going to use for the moldings has arrived in the garage. The owner is going to make some adjustments to his car and will give it a new color. So we can make the moldings with out being afraid to messing up his paint. I will make some pictures ASAP and put them on the forum.

Greetings Svenster

·
Registered
0 Posts
Little know fact on C2 GS door handles

The GS door handles were set in a recess (as shown in the pics) to keep them from protruding farther out than the body (aerodymanics and practicality- so nothing could catch on them).

They are not stock C2 handles. They are patterned from the stock GM truck handle, but made of aluminum to save weight.

[Corvette Corrections, M. Scott, Anaheim, CA., restorer of one of the original GS's.]

C'ya
D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Svenster,

I tried to send you an e-mail but it appears you have that option turned off. If you send me an e-mail I can send you some pictures I took recently of the original #4 Grand Sport coupe. There are a couple of good shots of the door as well as close-ups of other angles of the car.

Rich Lagasse

1 - 8 of 8 Posts