Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just received the GS flares I ordered from Corvette Central, the catalog said they install with 3M Automotive Tape, is that stuff strong enough to hold the flares on without problems?
I thought they would come with the tape, but I guess the factory screws them on and I don't want to do that.

Is 3M Automotive Tape good enough or is there something better out there?

The cars coming along, I'll post some pics after the first of the year.

·
DC Crew
4,823 Posts
I had the same concern, but after over a year they haven't moved...and that includes a couple of 140mph blasts :D

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Good to hear the car is making progress!

Obviously mine are screwed on, but I hear the 3m tape on a properly prepared surface is pretty dang strong.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Pat, I thought the GS's were taped on as well. :huh:

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Patrick96LT4 said:
Good to hear the car is making progress!

Obviously mine are screwed on, but I hear the 3m tape on a properly prepared surface is pretty dang strong.
Thanks, I don't want to drill any holes in the rear quarter panels, so I'm going to go out and get some 3M Tape.

About all that's left to do is the wiring for the gauges, nitrous switches, line lock and the computer for the trans(4L80E). We've also decided to have a custom air-to-air intercooler made, that should be done next month and since the exhaust will exit at the center of the rear the system needs to be fabbed then sent out for ceramic coating inside and out.
My goal and Geoff's is to have the car at the March Chevy VetteFest.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
Correct.:thumbsup:
Did you redo yours and screw them on. I'm confused now. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: GS flare install?

War Machine said:
I can't wait!!! :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

The suspense is killin' me! :D
It's killing me too! :laughing:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Arnie said:
Thanks, I don't want to drill any holes in the rear quarter panels, so I'm going to go out and get some 3M Tape.

About all that's left to do is the wiring for the gauges, nitrous switches, line lock and the computer for the trans(4L80E). We've also decided to have a custom air-to-air intercooler made, that should be done next month and since the exhaust will exit at the center of the rear the system needs to be fabbed then sent out for ceramic coating inside and out.
My goal and Geoff's is to have the car at the March Chevy VetteFest.
You doing Nitrous AND a blower?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Guess that explains why you're all screwed up...:rolling: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Patrick96LT4 said:
You doing Nitrous AND a blower?
Sort of, I bought the Nitrous Express N'tercooler kit:

The oval hoop mounts to the front of the intercooler and the nitrous helps cool the air between the supercharger and intake manifold, it never gets into the motor. I'm not really sure how well it will work, but when the car is complete, we will dyno it with and without the nitrous.

I can always switch it over to a 50 or 75 shot and use it like nitrous is normally used, but I have to be careful and not get greedy with the nitrous and a supercharger, too much nitrous and the motor goes BLAM!! That's how Geoff blew up the motor when he had the car, I think he tried a 200 shot, with a 150 shot he was running 10.30's @ 138 mph.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Funny you mention that, I saw a salt-flat-racer SOMEWHERE that had 4 bottles of Nitrous solely to act as an intercooler.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I have just one 15 lb. bottle. I have it from a reliable source that some ricers have used this system and seen a 40hp gain over just the intercooler. We'll see what happens.

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Arnie, you will want

3M Scotch-Mount Double Coated Acrylic Foam Tape

I have seen White and Grey, but heard it is also Available in Clear..

I have 3M #6383 which is Grey. I used it for Body molding on a Blazer once and it held great..

Just be sure you use the Adhesive promotor and apply it in 70 deg temp.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
-=Jeff=- said:
Arnie, you will want

3M Scotch-Mount Double Coated Acrylic Foam Tape

I have seen White and Grey, but heard it is also Available in Clear..

I have 3M #6383 which is Grey. I used it for Body molding on a Blazer once and it held great..

Just be sure you use the Adhesive promotor and apply it in 70 deg temp.

Hope that helps

1 - 19 of 19 Posts