Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.fitsnews.com/2010/08/31/gun-owners-endorse-haley/

The grassroots organization Gun Owners of America has endorsed S.C. Rep. Nikki Haley in the 2010 gubernatorial race, citing her consistent support for the Second Amendment rights of South Carolinians.

“Nikki Haley stands 100% behind the rights of South Carolina’s gun owners and sportsmen,” said GOA Vice-Chairman Tim Macy. “In particular, Rep. Haley strongly supports concealed carry of firearms by law-abiding citizens and will work to ease unreasonable restrictions on CWP holders.”

Gun Owners of America boasts more than 300,000 members nationwide, according to its news release endorsing Haley.

“The right to bear arms was deemed so critical by our Founders that they spelled it out in absolute terms, and it is my belief that any governmental action that undermines that right is in turn undermining the very freedoms that built our great nation,” Haley said. “I hold a Concealed Weapons Permit myself, and as governor, I will continue to fight against any government infringement on the 2nd Amendment.”

So will we …

In fact, just last month we helped grassroots gun groups in South Carolina kill a controversial new fee hike on Concealed Weapons Permit holders."

Seems pubs cannot make up their mind with her.:huh:
Earlier this year...from her same party.....

http://www.libertarianrepublican.net/2010/06/nikki-haley-called-*******-by-mark.html

And now it comes full circle. The very man who allied with Democrats and the liberal media to get libertarian Republican Governor Mark Sanford ousted from office, State Senator Jake Knotts, has now viciously attacked Sanford's hand-picked successor State Rep. Nikki Haley.

In a radio interview yesterday, Knotts said the following via our friend Stacy over at TheOtherMcCain.com:

“We already got one ******* in the White House, we don’t need a ******* in the governor’s mansion.” – South Carolina state Sen. Jake Knotts
Ironically, Haley is of Sikh descent and not a Muslim.

The remarks were made on the freewheeling internet radio show "Pub Politics."

The South Carolina GOP immediately called on Knotts to apologize:

“The South Carolina Republican Party strongly condemns any use of racial or religious slurs,” -- Karen Floyd, State Party Chairwoman
Knotts has said he is sorry for the slur. But a firestorm of media and on-line coverage has already taken off, and no doubt calls for his own resignation will soon be forthcoming.

Knotts is the same Senator who famously quipped on MSNBCduring the Sanford affair, "Lies, lies, lies... that's all we have are lies from the Governor."

What's at issue here? With most things in life, follow the money.

Ace at the almighty Ace of Spades blog, has finally had enough of it all. After being an extreme skeptic on Nikki Halley, this morning he formally endorsed her after Knott's remarks.

That's it -- I wholeheartedly endorse Nikki Haley, if only because it will make monsters cry.
However, he also adds a most excellent analysis.

Now, you might ask, what on earth would provoke a large fraction of South Carolina's political class to lose its minds and begin suicide-bombing a single candidate?

Commenters were discussing that last night. Let them put you some information:

Vic: That is one thing that the Sanford detractors try to hang around his neck. That he constantly fought with the SC legislature and "nothing" got done.

Of course that was going from the Dem controlled MFM media here which favors big government. The SC legislature is nominally Republican, but a large portion of them are "converted FDR Democrats" so it is really a Dem controlled legislature.

They believe in "tax and spend" just like Obama. Look at the last major battle with Sanford, a 50 cent a pack tax increase on cigs. He vetoed it and they overrode the veto. That has been the normal thing for the last 8 years.
Obama style tax and spend Democrats-turned-Republican porkers in the legislature, best exemplified by a massive increase on the tax on cirgarettes that a libertarian Governor fiercely opposed.

And Nikki Haley, strongly backed by Mark and Jenny Sanford, not to mention libertarian-leaning Republican Sarah Palin, promises to carry on with Sanford-style fiscal conservatism.

There you have it folks. Real live libertarian elected officials have the tendency to turn regular politicians absolutely bonkers."

or....

http://rightwingnews.com/2010/07/reminder-nikki-haley-is-a-secret-muslim-whore/

Nikki Haley whupped a whole lotta good ol' boy ass in the South Carolina GOP gubernatorial primary, trouncing her establishment opponents at the polls and leaving behind a battered pile of the state's nastiest corruptocrats and sleazebags. And boy are they pissed.

Now, just a month after Haley's victory, one Republican cartoonist has emerged from his gutter to dredge up the same vile race-baiting and sexism that failed to derail her primary campaign. In a cartoon published Tuesday (pictured above), Robert Ariail portrays the Indian-American gubernatorial candidate as a bikini-clad pageant queen in the first panel and a niqab-clad Muslim in the second. The cartoon explicitly echos previous race-, religion-, and gender-based attacks against Haley, a practicing Methodist raised in the Sikh tradition by her immigrant parents.

Ariail depicts Haley as a radical Muslim posing as an all American pageant contestant so she can put one over on voters. He claims that's totally different than when State Senator Jake Knotts described Haley as "a ******* that’s ashamed of her religion trying to hide it behind being Methodist for political reasons."

The cartoon on Ms. Haley is, I think, pretty straight forward: It contrasts her campaign’s message of open government and transparency ( which I support) with her recent closed-door meetings, her refusal to release House e-mail accounts and her explanations on consulting fees and what she did to earn them. The cartoon is neither salacious nor an ethnic or religious slur. I came up with the idea of her as “Miss Transparency” wearing the title sash and bikini and chose the burqa as the best clothing metaphor representing the opposite of transparency. The burqa is a visual metaphore I’ve used before to make similar points.
Let's get this out of the way right now: no one in South Carolina has taken greater risks to improve government transparency than Nikki Haley. These unimaginably titillating messages that might or might not lurk in her email archives are part of a manufactured controversy, one that provided an excuse for Ariail to revive the "Nikki Haley is a slutty secret Muslim" meme with his cartoon. He continues:
It is not about Ms. Haley’s religion- after all, she was a Sikh, not a Muslim, before she became a Christian. Anyone who claims this cartoon is an ethnic or religious slur is deliberately misconstruing its simple, issue-oriented meaning.
Oh, of course. Can't you see? The cartoon wasn't about religion because the enlightened Mr. Ariail knows the difference between Muslims and Sikhs. That's why he couldn't possibly have intended his cartoon as a dog whistle to alert the state's bigots that Nikki Haley is different and ethnic and not really one of us. And it never crossed Ariail's mind that depicting Haley in a niqab was awfully reminiscent of the "*******" incident (or that drawing her in a bikini next to the words "what she promises" would remind his audience of the Haley sex scandal that wasn't).

Spare me.

There are dozens if not hundreds of simple, reliable visual metaphors to convey lack of transparency. Either Robert Ariail is the most tone deaf cartoonist in the business, or he deliberately attempted to stoke doubt about a female candidate of Indian descent in the minds of bigots. The former is unlikely. A talented two-time Pulitzer finalist like Ariail doesn't achieve that level of success without a keen eye for subtext and nuance in politics.

Tapping into ethnic and religious bigotry is a repugnant political tactic. Fortunately, South Carolinians have proven it's an ineffective one as well."

-------------------------------------------------

Only time will tell how the right will embrace the female republican minority firebrand, Nimrata Nikki Randhawa Haley.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Wooooow... you guys are grabbing at every little straw... trying to find a foothold. I'm becoming embarrassed for you guys...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts