Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being my first post I'd like to say this place is great.. I have already found many ideas and gained from others trials and errors....

Now for my question:

I've got a 81 vette, I'm doing almost a complete rebuild of the entire car(myself).

After its all said and done I want a good daily driver.
Right now its an automatic, but I want to get rid of that 3 speed.
See if you think this will do.

Heres whats planned to go into it:

BODY OFF CUSTOM REBUILD

Custom reinforce the frame... Just a afew spots.. add ~5lbs.

Removing old suspension and adding vette brakes "Performance PLUS System"... I've heard its the best around. It will lighten the car ~75 lbs.

Chevy SB: Nothing to wild.. ~350HP is what I will most likely get..

Tremec T56 6 speed transmission... Should lighten it up but I don't know how much.

I haven't pulled the diff. off yet but its most likely stock so around ~2.8 ratio. I might have a 3.07 but don't know if the previous owner was truthful.

Hooker 4inch sidepipe exhaust. I know its alittle large but I bought it with them and I love the look/sound.

replace all wornout rubber with poly..
new fuel lines.
new brake lines.
rebuild the steering.
sand, seal the frame.
Going to do the body work myself. (sand/seal/prime/paint/clearcoat)

Well what do you guys think?
What should I expect for gas mileage in this thing?

Seeing how it could end up ligher than a C5, use the same transmission, and *possibly* have the same or better engine effienciy, I would put it near 20.

Am I way off base? Assume its driven as well as possible for MPG.
And does anyone see any flaws to this plan?

Thanks all,
John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I originally bought the car when I was single and in college..

It was a beater and I knew it needed lots of work.

Oh how I dreamed of a Supercharged-Big-Block-Beast... :smokin:

but then I got married, have a son and the reality is I don't need a huge street beast.

I bought the car to drive and if I made it a 5mpg, 0..60 in 3sec drag car, I'd only be able to get in and drive it once in a great while.

This plan is to make a good solid, FUN car. One that I can get in and drive every day, and enjoy doing so.

Because I've got alot going on now(real job, wife, kid) the car is only being touched perhaps 2(solid) days a month. Right now its looking like its going to be 2-4 years before the thing is ready to roll on its own again.

But it will be 100% done before it ever sees pavement.

I'll try and get some pictures for board and would love to hear comments and get help along the way.

BTW I'm selling off:
The entire front suspension,
Transmission(th350) - mild B&M shift kit - 15k miles since rebuild.
Various parts from a chevy 350(not original engine)...

:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
You are not going to lose much weight by changing to the VB&P front suspension. If you plan to autocross your car you may want to avoid the mono front spring and dual mount rear spring as they will bump you up to running against other highly modified cars. The front coils and a fibrerglass rear spring in the stock mounts will give you as good a ride or better than the full on VB&P kit.

Have you thought about a swap to an overdrive automatic?

Any of the overdrive cars, be they manual or automatic, should get you near 20 MPG on the highway if they are tuned properly.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
what type of motor are you going with? carb or injected?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And I'm thinking about spending less money and more time on building a good engine(carb).

I doubt I'll have the car in any autocross events...

Also on the transmission, I enjoy shifting for myself.. Plus if I ever get tired of it I could always put an (better)automatic back in.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My vote for an engine would be for a GM crate engine. It's going to be tough to beat a 3 year warrenty for 1400 or whatever the cost is these days.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Steve M said:
My vote for an engine would be for a GM crate engine. It's going to be tough to beat a 3 year warrenty for 1400 or whatever the cost is these days.
That's not a half bad idea. You can get HUGE hp for around $1500.00 now...Then add the 6 speed and he's all set.

The one thing that concerns me is installing a clutch petal system. I had a buddy that did it on a '79 and he said it was a bitch to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've talked with a company who has done the install of a T56 into an 81' afew times.

he says he can pretty much get me a pre-fab kit made, or plans.

I deffinately wouldn't want to just go in blind and try to do it myself, making it up as I went.!

ALSO:
Anyone have some real experiance with some crate engines lately? How do they really perform vs. cash invested?

·
Registered
10 Posts
going with a create motor can realy save money but it is not quite as much fun but if you realy want a good daily driver and want to get some :surprised when you pop the hood i would suggest a create ls1.
bolted to that six speed you would be looking at close or over 30mpg on the highway. they make good hp and would be very drivable.

the other thing i would do is add steeroids instead of rebuilding the steering you could have it put in in about 2 hours and be done with the steering

1 - 10 of 10 Posts