Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy Restriction Batman!

Sure, the EPA will hate you, or fine you. It's your call.

But, why are we spending $900 on an exhaust system when the real GROWL and flow happen when you gut your catalytic converters.

You want to see what's between your exhaust maniforld and your cat back exhaust system.

Talk about restriction!!!!

All the debree you see is from ONE CATALYTIC CONVERTER on my GS.

Gutting... yes, that pile is from ONE cat!!!!!!!!!!

More gutting... (yes, that pile is from ONE cat)

Your passenger side cat...

To get at the guts, you have to cut the passenger one, the drivers side you can do it while it's on the car.

Passenger side cat...

Emptied passenger side cat. Have a shop vac handy after you shatter all the stuff inside. And DO NOT breath this stuff in.

Why get an aftermarket exhaust when THIS is the power-robbing restriction!!!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
eatrustangs said:
what year is that. i was told that a 94 vettes cats were bolt in. is that true
It's from his Grand Sport... 1996. :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eatrustangs said:
so is it true the pass. cat has to be cut off. does the drivers side cat unbolt off?
To gut the pass cat, the easiest thing to do is to cut it.

The driver side cat doesn't need to come off. Just a long (3 foot) screw driver, a crow bar, and a shop vac.

Wear a partical mask and wet down the floor.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Why didn't you just take them off and slip in some pipe?
No. Seriously. :D

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thomas P said:
Did this make the service engine light come on?
Yes, eventually. After a month or so.

I got some rear O2 simulators from Casper Electronics, problem solved. Car ran rich until I got the sims installed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
say i wanted to put another cat on would the driver side just unbolt off and is it easy to get off of a 94.

·
Registered
379 Posts
as i said in another post io would cut them off and weld in straight pipe instead. gutted cats create a lot of turbulence and you might actually lose power even though it will indeed be louder. i gained MPH in the trap speed in the quarter mile and MPG but replacing my cats with straight pipe as well as when i replaced my mufflers with straight pipe. im about to put on EM longtube headers this weekend. should really growl then! Hide the womena nd children!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mid America has started selling high flow cats all the way to 1996 now. Only $300 each side...that's cheap.

RanMan:D

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
For all that work, I'd just bolt up a fogger kit and be done with it.:huh:

·
Registered
914 Posts
Cats Cats Cats

CATS SO YOUR SAYING THAT IF YOUR CAR HAS CATS IT COULD BE A DOG?:crazy: :thud: :rolling: :smack

·
Registered
441 Posts
as i said in another post io would cut them off and weld in straight pipe instead. gutted cats create a lot of turbulence and you might actually lose power even though it will indeed be louder. i gained MPH in the trap speed in the quarter mile and MPG but replacing my cats with straight pipe as well as when i replaced my mufflers with straight pipe. im about to put on EM longtube headers this weekend. should really growl then! Hide the womena nd children!
Very true......A buddy of mine insisted on gutting the cats on his 96.....Indeed it was louder but it actually lost 4 rear wheel HP on the dyno due to the increased turbulance.. We then fabbed up some straight tubes in their place, and it picked up 9 RWHP......."some" cats of a more small tubular design aren't as sensitive to turbulance when you knock all the platnium out of them, but the vette cats of those years are so damn big and round inside, and when hollowed out, the air goes turbulant and has a slightly harder time making it's way out efficiently.......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
320 Posts
umm you cat to take off the rest of the exhaust to gut out the cats. you might as well put a nice cat back on there. the stock exhaust narrows down to 2in coming out the exhaust and that blows.

·
Registered
320 Posts
umm you cat to take off the rest of the exhaust to gut out the cats. you might as well put a nice cat back on there. the stock exhaust narrows down to 2in coming out the exhaust and that blows.
*you have to take(sorry)

·
Registered
299 Posts
I took the cats off my 92 and replaced with straight pipes. I like the healthy exhaust sound and, to me, it feels a little stronger; but that could just be my perception coming from the sound. My pipes are 2 3/4 all the way to the stock mufflers.
Bernie

·
Registered
38 Posts
gutting cats is okay. i am just not a fan of the rattely, empty sound they make after they are gutted. Makes the car sound like its got a weird air thing goin on

maybe a straight pipe. thats the real way to go! cheaper too!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts