Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a car show today ; this guy also had a 1970 T Top coupe, except he just had a stroked ZO6 motor put in his car with computer . Motor is stroked to 382 cid , and he kept the factory ZO6 hydr. roller cam. I told him i just rebuilt my motor and he says :" Oh man...you should have gone with a ZO6 crate motor . You would have gotton the same or better performance along with 19/28 mpg" . I said that gas mileage sound pretty nice ,but i love big blocks. So he says :" Come on..lets go for a short ride". So, we got in his car and he started it up. Idled very nicely and smooth as can be. We head out of town and we make a turn to go down this familiar country road which is straight for about 3 miles....and he nails it. Tires broke loose for a while then it grabs and the front end lifts up a bit . We barreled thru 2nd and 3rd gear getting rubber each time he shifted. Thru me back in my seat. He then got rubber in 4th too. But then the pull of the motor tappered off somewhere around 90 mph as he took it up to 130 . I was just about ready to yell something like 'shut the darn thing down !' ..when he got off the gas and braked to bring us back down to 60 mph again.

I must admit , that, the pull thru 1st thru 3rd was every bit as great as my BB is...and the pull of my BB is just a little bit more in 4th., but not much. I was in complete awe as to the power of this motor ; and to think it is 'an economy car' to boot , is just mind boggling to me.

Anyway...this was my first experience with a ZO6 motor , and this one was stroked too boot. Id highly recommend a ZO6 crate motor , which he says, runs around $6 k.

Dave

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,415 Posts
The Z06 would be awesome as is in a '70 but a stroked one. That would be outrageous.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get this : He said this winter , hes having Twin Turbos added to it. 682 RWHP. Insane or wow !?

·
Banned
291 Posts
Insane and WOW. That would be awesome. I'm thinking of dropping in an AR Racing 383. Wish i had the money for the Z06 motor.

Did he mention if there was issues with mounting it to the frame and tranny?

·
Registered
129 Posts
You'd have to change some things around when you put it in (motor mounts, accesories, etc.) But it'd be worth it! :partyon:

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
SwaveDave said:
Get this : He said this winter , hes having Twin Turbos added to it. 682 RWHP. Insane or wow !?
That's AWESOME!!! :partyon:

I've been in a 2002 Z06 when it was stock, that was a BLAST, and when it was supercharged and that was BLAST OFF!!! Getting to ride in a '70 with a stroked LS6 is something for the rest of us to drool about! I'm jealous. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts