Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Thanks to all of you here I was finally able to remove my trailing arms despite all of the PITA stuff along the way. :cheers: I'm getting ready to make a move on shipping them off. I also want to upgrade my half shafts with new u joints while I am doing things. I currently have the greasable ones on there. They look to be in pretty good shape, but one is missing the grease fitting. Don't know what is going on with them since the car came from a previous owner. Is it best to go ahead and rebuild them with the maintenance free heavy duty spicers, or should I invest in some new half shafts like Denny's heavy duty 3 inchers? I will not be racing, but I want to upgrade to more horsepower in the future. Probably around 350 to 400 horsepower. Just trying to do things right the first time, but not trying to just waste money either. Thanks in advance. Oh by the way the same thing applies to my strut rods. Should I invest in some new adjustable ones, or should I just go with poly bushings and call it a day. Thanks again. Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Kind of answered my own question on the strut rods. Seems that by the time I buy bushings and a vice to press them in, I am approaching the cost of new adjustable strut rods.

·
Registered
24 Posts
adjustable strut rod

i went with adjustable poly bushing struts on my rebuild. matter of fact i went with all poly even the body mounts. ihaven't taken it out though, just finish putting the body back on the frame. i still need alignment and tires then paint and body. iguess it will be another month before it gets back on the road.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Kind of answered my own question on the strut rods. Seems that by the time I buy bushings and a vice to press them in, I am approaching the cost of new adjustable strut rods.
Poly bushings do not require a vice or press to install in your stock strut rods...installing Spicer solids in your half-shafts however, is another matter.

I have heim-joint rod ends that I put together myself from heavy-duty suspension parts available from most speed shops (I got my stuff from Speedway and Summit). I used a 1/2" rod end for the inner sides and made spacers from thick-wall DOM tubing that I paired with cone washers. I also made plates to eliminate the cam bolts. It is a definite improvement over the stock setup, even with poly bushings IMHO.

I have most of the parts to make another set, i would sell for what they cost me and throw in the spacers. PM me if you care and I'll tote up what i've got...

Chris

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info Chris. Will do. Thank you all as well. :thumbsup: By the way Chris are you using the factory strut bracket under the differential?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, stock bracket. No mods to the bracket; the square plates that I made replace the cams. The modified bracket with the lower attach points is on my wish list....I think it's number 712...right in the middle...

·
Registered
301 Posts
I went with both your own proposals :)
Denny's driveshafts & adjustable strud rods.
My original strud rods where bend so I had to get new ones anyway, and my halfshafts weren't in a good condition but probably rebuildable. I needed a shorter driveshaft so ordered their half shafts as well.
Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts