Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lookin' to replace my half shafts on my 71 with 3" and solid spicers. Anyone had any dealings with fortwayneclutch.com or know of anyplace else to get 'em?

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Fort wayne clutch is the best. I'm pretty sure he makes them for Dragvette. I have them on mine and a few buddies have also used them. No problems with them. He uses them behind a 700 HP Vette with slicks. Good enough for me.

·
Registered
959 Posts
same guy sells them on ebay for $180...I wonder if those are good for 700hp?
...redvetracr

·
Registered
148 Posts
The only thing I don't understand about them is that they use weights on their 1/2 shafts. When they are made they should already be balanced and 1/2 shafts shouldn't need weights on them as they are too short. I can see if the shafts were used or something but not on new.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Thanks guys for the good info on getting a new set of half shafts with the spicer joints for a decent price. I just ordered a set for $169 shipped which is cheaper than the eBay price. Did not want to ask why they are more expensive on eBay.

I also ordered from Dragvette a set of the beefier u-joint caps/bolts vs. my current small block stock pencil thick u-bolts. I recently installed the 6 link and like it a lot but need to take it to the track for further testing.

Now all should be good for some fun times at the track pending last weak link being the driveshaft u-joint which I will tackle at a later date. You guys have scared the crap out of me blowing a stock u-joint at the track.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im assuming you got them right from the site, they list them there for $150.00 a pair! Which is why I just wanted a second opinion,couldnt believe the price.

·
Registered
855 Posts
yeah...got them right from their website and I could not believe the price either. They will be arriving next week so give me a few weeks to test them out on the street and at the track and I will be sure to report back. I asked if they wanted my old ones as cores which are in perfect shape and they said no...so I will be selling them if I am satisfied with the new half shafts.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
That is a good deal. If I rebuild 1/2 shafts the joints run $50 per arm. They are cleaned and blasted, POR15 etched and painted then top coated. With the paint cost and labor I have to sell them for $120 each, more if the flange is bad.
If you can get a set for just $30 more, go for it.

·
Registered
855 Posts
gtr1999....I have my 10K miles ago recently rebuilt 3.70 rear with hardened side yokes, etc. that once I break it will be needing your attention to beef it up. I almost PM'd you last weekend about sending out my current half shafts to you to have the spicer joints installed but I did not see how I could pass this deal up if their product is of good quality.

I beat the crap out of my car...but I treat her right when she does need some TLC by trying to buy the best of the best and keeping her in tip top condition with lots of preventive maintenance.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
No that's a greatr deal if the parts and stock is good. Not sure what wall thickness tube they use but they are using solid Spicers and probably get a great price on them as well.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Guess what arrived today??? My new half shafts. These things are heavy compared to my stock shafts. Shipping box says 24lbs for both of them, but I will try to remember and do a weight difference measurement between the two. They look awesome and are clean as there is no residue on my hands and they are not oily smelling. I will post pics later tonight when I get home. Lastly...I think I will need to POR 15 these? because the shafts are nice and shinny. I would actually like to keep the shinny look as it would be different but don't want any rust issues. I will post pics and let you guys see how they look. I did notice the balancing weight and it is very small being basically a washer welded to the shaft.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are they 3" diameter, I cant seem to get an answer from the mail staff at fortwayneclutch.If so what year did you order them for, Iknow our years were only 2 1/2 " and I want the 3" . Thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
855 Posts
Here are the pics!!! They weigh 10.8lbs each and are 3" diameter. Customer service was excellent and they arrived in 5 business days!!! In the first pic you can see the washer balancing weight welded to the shaft. I probably will be installing these this week along with adjusting a few things on my Dragvette.

I have got a question...do I need to paint or Por 15 the shafts? I kind of like the polished look but I am an idiot on this stuff and have no idea if it will last or rust. If I do need to Por 15 these...do I am thinking I need to sand them and then paint to get the paint to stick better?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Here are the pics!!! They weigh 10.8lbs each and are 3" diameter. Customer service was excellent and they arrived in 5 business days!!! In the first pic you can see the washer balancing weight welded to the shaft. I probably will be installing these this week along with adjusting a few things on my Dragvette.

I have got a question...do I need to paint or Por 15 the shafts? I kind of like the polished look but I am an idiot on this stuff and have no idea if it will last or rust. If I do need to Por 15 these...do I am thinking I need to sand them and then paint to get the paint to stick better?
I cleaned mine off with acetone and shot them with a coule of coats of VHT Clear....

·
Registered
855 Posts
Thats a cool idea...just clear coat them really good. I might do that as I can always paint them black easily later but going back to a polished look will be difficult.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I think if you want to POR15 clear coat them,all you have to do is make sure there is no oil or grease on them and then use their metal prep. I used their product for the first time a few weeks back . but you have to make sure to use a cleaner without an oil base to it, i used their cleaner, and metal prep,used a paint gun and the parts turned out nice.

Kevin

·
Registered
230 Posts
I shipped a pair of them to Poland a little while ago. They really are nice shafts. The wall thickness is. 083 but they can build them with .134 wall. A lot more money but cheaper than everyone else.
POR-15 doesn't work very well on clean bare metal. It needs rust.
They are all 3" diameter and will fit C2 and C3 vettes.
Mike

·
Registered
228 Posts
Guess what arrived today??? My new half shafts. These things are heavy compared to my stock shafts. Shipping box says 24lbs for both of them, but I will try to remember and do a weight difference measurement between the two. They look awesome and are clean as there is no residue on my hands and they are not oily smelling. I will post pics later tonight when I get home. Lastly...I think I will need to POR 15 these? because the shafts are nice and shinny. I would actually like to keep the shinny look as it would be different but don't want any rust issues. I will post pics and let you guys see how they look. I did notice the balancing weight and it is very small being basically a washer welded to the shaft.
Well, I was just about to send my stock half shafts to Vansteel for rebuild but for $150 (and that's for a pair, right?) it becomes a no-brainer:excited: to get the 3" Fort Wayne jobs - plus I save 1 way shipping. The stock ones boxed weighted in at 23 lbs (or so), so the weight's about the same.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts