Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and over the past few days I have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts based on fact and opinions on C6 air intake system performance.

I have been reading posts that date back to '05 and have found useful info on both the Halltech Stinger(with or w/o the CAI kit) and Veraram intakes. I am looking for max power from stop up to 120mph or so, don't think I will try 186mph on the highways around here, so not that interested in top end.

I have to ask again, to date what is the best intake of the two? From what I have read the Veraram wasn't the best constructed intake, flimsy and all, has the construction improved? Do I need to worry about heavy rain at all, or debris clogging the filter after a few thousand miles or possibly getting into the engine?

The Halltech seems to be a no-brainer when it comes the water and debris issue, it's not a problem. I was wondering about cutting the fan shroud just under the Halltech for more fresh air, maybe even making an enclosure and sealing it to the fan shroud like the Vortex system. I was thinking of this, because many people have posted that the Vortex filter can't flow as much air as the Halltech, this way I could have the best of both worlds? Also, does anyone know where I can view pics or an illustration on how the Halltech CAI kit works? Does it just force cooler outside air into the overall engine compartment, or is it in some way directed at the filter?

As I stated, I have read posts back to '05 and it looks like over that time some of the same people have tried 2-3 different intakes. For example I read that OLDDOG has changed from the Halltech to Veraram, then back to Halltech saying he made a mistake and should not have cut the fan shroud and the Veraram was cheaply made. Then, on a newer post another user was answering my same question regarding these two set-ups for someone else and stated, "see OLDDOG's post, he swears by the Veraram". So my question again, did anything improve with the Veraram set-up over the past year, or so?

I have found the Veraram kit + tb spacer + free shipping for $349, sounds like a good deal to me. Also, I have found the Halltech Stinger SSM for $199, and the Halltech CAI kit for $129 + shipping. Looks like I will be spending close to the same amount for either set-up, so again, which way should I go? It seems the Halltech set-up is a better choice when it comes to maintenance and water/debris ingestion. The Veraram seems to provide more performance. One last question, besides these two set-ups, is there something new and more improved out like the Hurricane or anything else I may be missing out on? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Olddog reported that Vararam had shipped him a new model that was built much better than the previous version. He reports significant performance gain from using data logging and HPTuner software.

We have had no complaints posted about the Halltech unit.

:cheers:

·
Registered
388 Posts
I had a Halltech Stinger and now have the Vararam. The Halltech was a nice piece but did nothing for performance. SOTP said there were no gains and that was verified by the track. I went with the VR early this year. Three different track trips all netted me the same gains over my best at this track with my Halltech. Ended up bettering the Stinger by .2 and 2mph. Granted not done on the same night but at least 2 of the 3 track visits were almost identical weather (DA just about the same). I did a lot of research, looking at VR results with both the C5 and C6. Just about all were good. There are some good magazine results as well. I see you posted over at CF as well. Just look at some of the results. Looks like two A6 C6's ran against each other last week, one bone stock, one with a VR and the VR ran something like .4 and 3-4 mph quicker. Granted driver can always play a role but the VR certainly help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a Halltech Stinger and now have the Vararam. The Halltech was a nice piece but did nothing for performance. SOTP said there were no gains and that was verified by the track. I went with the VR early this year. Three different track trips all netted me the same gains over my best at this track with my Halltech. Ended up bettering the Stinger by .2 and 2mph. Granted not done on the same night but at least 2 of the 3 track visits were almost identical weather (DA just about the same). I did a lot of research, looking at VR results with both the C5 and C6. Just about all were good. There are some good magazine results as well. I see you posted over at CF as well. Just look at some of the results. Looks like two A6 C6's ran against each other last week, one bone stock, one with a VR and the VR ran something like .4 and 3-4 mph quicker. Granted driver can always play a role but the VR certainly help.
Thanks for the info Bunk22! I just placed an order with RPI, they have the VR+TB spacer+shipping for $349! I can't wait to install! I have had my car since new over 2yrs ago and this will be the first mod, exhaust is next! Do you think a Granatelli MAF would do anything at this time, or should I wait until I get let's say, a FAST intake? thx

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thanks for the info Bunk22! I just placed an order with RPI, they have the VR+TB spacer+shipping for $349! I can't wait to install! I have had my car since new over 2yrs ago and this will be the first mod, exhaust is next! Do you think a Granatelli MAF would do anything at this time, or should I wait until I get let's say, a FAST intake? thx
I'm just not an expert enough to know anything about the Granatelli MAF. I'll tell you this, every mod I've done, I've tried to justify it at the track. The best way is same day for obvious reasons. Not always possible but with similar weather, best I can do. Of course I compare my best runs to my best runs that usually have similar 60-ft times, etc. My first mods were my Halltech and Corsa cat-back which netted me zero gains over stock at the track. I then went with a tune with picked up .2 and 4 mph in the 1/8th mile. Long-tubes netted me another .3 and 3 mph in the 1/8th. I then did rockers and ported intake. The dyno showed gains of 19rwhp and 29rwtq at the peak. Netted no gains at the track, even with similar 60-ft launches. Then my VR gave me .2 and 2 mph. So as far as the FAST goes, I don't know. From what I've seen, a ported intake is inferior to the FAST. I think Evilways on this site added a FAST, gave him some really good power on the dyno but nothing at the track.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Please note: Every tuner I have spoken with advises against the Granatelli MAF on the C6. If you make serious mods you can move up to a 100mm LPE MAF and the Z06 sensor or the Halltach 103mm MAF with the Z06 sensor. other wise stay with the OEM MAF. Mt car produced over 500rwhp with the OEM MAF before the LPE 100mm MAF was released.

:cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts