Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, has anyone ever used either of these hand held sand blasters before? What were the results? I just want something to blast my alternator and power steering pump and other small bits etc before I powder coat them. I only have a small compressor and buying a cabinet blaster is not an option.
I'd appreciate any feedback :thumbsup:

Specs:
Hopper size: 9 ounces
Maximum air pressure: 90 PSI
Air consumption: 1.7 CFM
Air inlet: 1/4'' NPT
Nozzle diameter: 5 mm
Tool weight: 12 oz.

Specs:
Hopper size: 18 ounces
Operating pressure: 90 PSI
Air consumption: 7 SCFM
Recommended hose size: 3/8''
Nozzle size: 2-15/16''L x 7/32'' dia.
Tool weight: 2.65 lbs

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Hey guys, has anyone ever used either of these hand held sand blasters before? What were the results? I just want something to blast my alternator and power steering pump and other small bits etc before I powder coat them. I only have a small compressor and buying a cabinet blaster is not an option.
I'd appreciate any feedback :thumbsup:

Specs:
Hopper size: 9 ounces
Maximum air pressure: 90 PSI
Air consumption: 1.7 CFM
Nozzle diameter: 5 mm
Tool weight: 12 oz.

Specs:
Hopper size: 18 ounces
Operating pressure: 90 PSI
Air consumption: 7 SCFM
Recommended hose size: 3/8''
Nozzle size: 2-15/16''L x 7/32'' dia.
Tool weight: 2.65 lbs
What is the cost of these?

·
Registered
738 Posts
If you only have a couple of parts to do its really not worth all the fuss. If you have a benchtop grinder put a brush wheel on it and go that way.
Or better yet, find someone in the area that does have a real blast cabinet to clean them up for you.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
One thing for sure, being in Saudi, you will never run short of blasting material....eh??

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the cost of these?
Anywhere from $15 to $40 depending on where you buy them. Harbor Freight have them for $15

If you only have a couple of parts to do its really not worth all the fuss. If you have a benchtop grinder put a brush wheel on it and go that way.
Or better yet, find someone in the area that does have a real blast cabinet to clean them up for you.
Yep, done the wire wheel thing but it can't always reach the areas you want to clean up. Also, this place is NOTHING like at home. You can't look for a sandblasting merchant in the Yellow Pages because there is no Yellow Pages. Either word of mouth to find a place or walk or drive around until you see something :thud:

One thing for sure, being in Saudi, you will never run short of blasting material....eh??
Very true :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have an Eastwood "blast out of a bucket" gun and it works well for a lot of projects. The big difference between what you are looking at and mine is capacity. I can run mine for quite a long time with a 5 gallon bucket of sand, I think the one you are looking at will be empty in just a few minutes and you'll find it annoying to refill. Whatever you choose, get extra tips, they wear out fast.

Get a really good moisture filter for your compressor.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
You can get a small blast cabinet for not much more. And you will save the differance in the cost of lost blast media.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to ask. Why is a media cabinet not an option?
Well I don't really have enough blasting to do to warrant buying a cabinet. Even if I wanted one, I don't know of anywhere out here where I could get one, so that would mean shipping it from the US (big bucks) and I don't have a shed or anywhere to store/use it.

Like I said at the start of the thread, I thought one of those little hand held jobs would be just the business for blasting something like a power steering reservoir before I powder coat it. I think blasting leaves a better preparitory suface for painting or powder coating than a wire wheel does and one of those little hand held ones would be a cheaper option to "importing" a cabinet or spending a good chunk of my life trying to find one out here :crazy:

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can get a small blast cabinet for not much more. And you will save the differance in the cost of lost blast media.
Hehehe, I LIVE in the Kingdom of blast media!

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Hehehe, I LIVE in the Kingdom of blast media!
Now that I have read the rest of your info I stand corrected....:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Get a small gun that has a hose for a bucket and just throw it out on the ground...:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Good luck on your search...:cheers:

·
Registered
966 Posts
I bought a sandblast setup that included the bucket and hose/gun. One thing you HAVE to have with any of these devices... a VERY powerful compressor. Like the ones they have at gas stations to raise the car on a hoist. Home-style compressors for $300-$500, even good-sized ones, just get sucked down too fast. The pump runs constantly and the pressure just isn't enough to effectively run the gun. These hand-held units may be different...never seen one in action. :)

Dep

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought a sandblast setup that included the bucket and hose/gun. One thing you HAVE to have with any of these devices... a VERY powerful compressor. Like the ones they have at gas stations to raise the car on a hoist. Home-style compressors for $300-$500, even good-sized ones, just get sucked down too fast. The pump runs constantly and the pressure just isn't enough to effectively run the gun. These hand-held units may be different...never seen one in action. :)

Dep
That's what I was concerned about but the first one I posted "only" uses 1.7cfm, so in theory that should be ok for small jobs without having a monster compressor.

I spose it's worth $15 to find out! Thanks for the input guys :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
That's what I was concerned about but the first one I posted "only" uses 1.7cfm, so in theory that should be ok for small jobs without having a monster compressor.

I spose it's worth $15 to find out! Thanks for the input guys :thumbsup:
Wayne, You can get a small blast cabinet from Harbor Freight and glass media for cheap. We keep ours outside, and just cover it up when not using it.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wayne, You can get a small blast cabinet from Harbor Freight and glass media for cheap. We keep ours outside, and just cover it up when not using it.
Yeah I know Jeff, I've found some pretty good priced items but nothing here in Saudi, all in the USA so that means shipping on top of the original purchase price. And, depending on the mood of the customs guy when it arrives, it may or may not have import duty placed on it at a value that he decides is right!

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Yeah I know Jeff, I've found some pretty good priced items but nothing here in Saudi, all in the USA so that means shipping on top of the original purchase price. And, depending on the mood of the customs guy when it arrives, it may or may not have import duty placed on it at a value that he decides is right!
Maybe you could just tie it to a tree during one of those sand storms.:smack
Unless of course, you have no trees.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:laughing: yes, there are some trees here mate :smack

·
Registered
966 Posts
Please keep us posted on how well this gun works. It may be what I need!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts