Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charles Krauthammer (love him or hate him) is a very smart analyst. He has a new article handicapping the potential Republican candidates for 2012 horse racing style. He has some good stuff, and I agree with him down the line. I'm sure that strong backers of the long shots will disagree.

Long shots

Michele Bachmann: Tea Party favorite. Appeals to Palinites. Could do well in Iowa. Hard to see how she makes her way through the rest of the primaries. A strong showing in debates and a respectable finish would increase her stature for 2016. But for now: 20-1 to win the nomination.

Donald Trump: He's not a candidate, he's a spectacle. He's also not a conservative. With a wink and a smile, Muhammad Ali showed that self-promoting obnoxiousness could be charming. Trump shows that it can be merely vulgar. A provocateur and a clown, the Republicans' Al Sharpton.

The major candidates

Mitt Romney: Serious guy. Pre-vetted (2008). Tons of private- and public-sector executive experience. If not for one thing, he'd be the prohibitive front-runner. Unfortunately, the one thing is a big thing: Massachusetts' Romneycare. For an election in which the main issue is excessive government (see Axiom One), that's a huge liability. Every sentient Republican has been trying to figure out how to explain it away. I've heard no reports of any success. Romney is Secretariat at Belmont, but ridden by Minnesota Fats. He goes out at 5-1.

Newt Gingrich: Smart guy. A fountain of ideas. No, a Vesuvius of ideas. Some brilliance, lots of lava. Architect of a historic Republican victory in 1994. Rocky speakership. Unfortunate personal baggage. 12-1.

Haley Barbour: Successful governor. Experienced Washington hand. Abundant charm. Baggage: Years of lobbying, unforced errors on civil rights, early isolationist deviations. Rarely without a comeback, however. 7-1.

Tim Pawlenty: Formerly, unassuming, unprepossessing, solid two-term Minnesota governor. Currently, mouse that roars. Up-tempo style, middle-of-the-road conservative content. Apparently baggageless. Could be the last man standing. 5-1.

Mitch Daniels: Highly successful governor. Budget guru. Delightful dullness satisfies all axioms (see above). Foreign policy unknown, assuming he has one. Alienated some conservatives with his call for a truce on social issues. If he runs, 6-1.

Likely not running

Mike Huckabee: Has a good life - hosting a popular TV show, making money, building his dream house in Florida. He'd be crazy to run. Doesn't look crazy to me.

Sarah Palin: Same deal. Showed her power in 2010 as kingmaker and opinion shaper. Must know (I think) she has little chance at the nomination and none in the general election. Why risk it, and the inevitable diminishment defeat would bring?

Even less likely to run - the 2016 bench

A remarkable class of up-and-comers includes Paul Ryan, Chris Christie, Marco Rubio, Nikki Haley. All impressive, all new to the national stage, all with bright futures. 2012, however, is too early - except possibly for Ryan, who last week became de facto leader of the Republican Party. For months, he will be going head-to-head with Obama on the budget, which is a surrogate for the central issue of 2012: the proper role of government. If Ryan acquits himself well, he could emerge as a formidable anti-Obama.

One problem: Ryan has zero inclination to run. Wants to continue what he's doing right now. Would have to be drafted. That would require persuasion. Can anyone rustle up a posse?

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:laughing: Your getting Romney Tex.. it's already been decided.

He is a neocon wetdream.
Good. I think he is a great candidate for a country with the economic problems we have. He has a ton of business leadership experience as well as government executive experience. While Romneycare will be used against him, I don't worry about it. He was governor of the most liberal state in the union, and his constituents wanted that plan. That's a very different thing from Obamacare which is being forced on a country where well under 50% of the people want it.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Good. I think he is a great candidate for a country with the economic problems we have.
:laughing: :crazy: I hope you enjoy the next Obama term... Romney will get beat down worse than McCain.. the Tea Party people are not going to vote for a liberal, especially a Mass liberal, just like they didn't last time. You roadkill guys feel all warm and fuzzy with him because you stick to the old neocon belief that you can out liberal a liberal, you can't.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:laughing: :crazy: I hope you enjoy the next Obama term... Romney will get beat down worse than McCain.. the Tea Party people are not going to vote for a liberal, especially a Mass liberal, just like they didn't last time. You roadkill guys feel all warm and fuzzy with him because you stick to the old neocon belief that you can out liberal a liberal, you can't.
You may be right. But anyone the Tea Party would back won't get 30% of the general election vote. Pick your poison. :cheers:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
You may be right. But anyone the Tea Party would back won't get 30% of the general election vote. Pick your poison. :cheers:
That's true.. the roadkill voters are the reason Obama is president, and will be the reason he gets a 2nd term. Roadkill voters can't vote in their own best interest, because they are sheep cut from the exact same mold as the liberals who vote against their own best interest, they (you) vote for who the media determines you should vote for.

Good luck to you, but I am going to cancel your vote anyway... :laughing:

At leas the gun grabber crowd will love him, probably why the media loves him anyway..

* GovWatch: 1994: did not “line up with the NRA”. (Feb 2008)
* Support the 2nd Amendment AND the assault weapon ban. (Jan 2008)
* I support the work of the NRA, but disagree sometimes. (Dec 2007)
* Ok to ban lethal weapons that threaten police. (Dec 2007)
* Compromise MA gun bills were not gain for gun owner. (Aug 2007)
* Supports Second Amendment rights but also assault weapon ban. (May 2007)
* Will support assault weapons bill and Brady Bill. (Aug 1994)

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's true.. the roadkill voters are the reason Obama is president, and will be the reason he gets a 2nd term. Roadkill voters can't vote in their own best interest, because they are sheep cut from the exact same mold as the liberals who vote against their own best interest, they (you) vote for who the media determines you should vote for.

Good luck to you, but I am going to cancel your vote anyway... :laughing:

At leas the gun grabber crowd will love him, probably why the media loves him anyway..

* GovWatch: 1994: did not “line up with the NRA”. (Feb 2008)
* Support the 2nd Amendment AND the assault weapon ban. (Jan 2008)
* I support the work of the NRA, but disagree sometimes. (Dec 2007)
* Ok to ban lethal weapons that threaten police. (Dec 2007)
* Compromise MA gun bills were not gain for gun owner. (Aug 2007)
* Supports Second Amendment rights but also assault weapon ban. (May 2007)
* Will support assault weapons bill and Brady Bill. (Aug 1994)
The difference in you and me on these election issues is that you spend a lot of time analyzing the dysfunctional thinking that causes voters to vote the candidates they choose. It really doesn't matter to me why people vote the way they do. You can't change that, so I say get about the business of figuring out which candidate that comes closest to your views can pass muster with the dysfunctional voters. In my case, that would be Romney. If I were appointing a king, he would probably not be my choice. But I live in the real world, and first and foremost, I want Obama gone. I realize that that is a tall order and has at best about a 50-50 chance, but that's the reality I live in. Calling voters stupid doesn't gain anything. The question is, how do you get them to vote for someone to the right of center.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
The difference in you and me on these election issues is that you spend a lot of time analyzing the dysfunctional thinking that causes voters to vote the candidates they choose. It really doesn't matter to me why people vote the way they do. You can't change that, so I say get about the business of figuring out which candidate that comes closest to your views can pass muster with the dysfunctional voters. In my case, that would be Romney. If I were appointing a king, he would probably not be my choice. But I live in the real world, and first and foremost, I want Obama gone. I realize that that is a tall order and has at best about a 50-50 chance, but that's the reality I live in. Calling voters stupid doesn't gain anything. The question is, how do you get them to vote for someone to the right of center.
My problem is you guys talk one way, and vote another. You don't really care if they are a big government, gun grabbing Massachusets liberal, as long as they have an R. Your no different than the people who put Obama in office.. all they wanted was Bush gone, all you want is Obama gone. You don't really care if the next guy is the EXACT SAME GUY as long as his name has the R. :huh:

Sorry if you think I am being an ass, but just like you call out the liberals for blind allegiance to the democrats, I will call you out for blind allegiance to the republicans. They are both one statist party..

You guys are so proud of Reagen, yet to here you talk about Illegals, Big Government, Government spending, one would think you knew nothing about Reagen.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry if you think I am being an ass, but just like you call out the liberals for blind allegiance to the democrats, I will call you out for blind allegiance to the republicans. They are both one statist party..
But where else are you going to go? In the real world, there are only two choices when it comes time to vote for president. One is going to be a Dem and one is going to be a pub. I can't change that and neither can you by 2012. I don't give a rats ass about 2016 or 2020 right now. I only care about 2012. The one and only choice I will have is for a Republican, because it darned sure isn't going to be Obama. Do you really think a Libertarian or Perot Party type is going to garner more than 5% of any vote? No way. You and I are probably in lockstep on 90% of the issues. I'm willing to take the best of the options presented to me. You, on the other hand, pine for a candidate that doesn't exist - the pure conservative who can get elected.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
But where else are you going to go? In the real world, there are only two choices when it comes time to vote for president. One is going to be a Dem and one is going to be a pub.
I agree, because people like you, will not vote their principles or issues.

I'm willing to take the best of the options presented to me. You, on the other hand, pine for a candidate that doesn't exist - the pure conservative who can get elected.
I can't sell out my principles. And I definitely won't take the best option the media gives me... I don't mind losing, as long as the loss don't include my principles. :cheers:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree, because people like you, will not vote their principles or issues.

I can't sell out my principles. And I definitely won't take the best option the media gives me... I don't mind losing, as long as the loss don't include my principles. :cheers:
Let me know when you find that candidate that can 100% match your principles and can get elected. If he can't get elected, he might as well not exist. In the mean time, there is a world to live in and to influence as best we can. :cheers:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Let me know when you find that candidate that can 100% match your principles and can get elected. If he can't get elected, he might as well not exist. In the mean time, there is a world to live in and to influence as best we can. :cheers:
None of them 100% match, and your "influence" of the world is costing thousands of people their lives.. I can't live with that.

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
The truth of the matter is that it doesn't matter who gets in. I would not accept the presidency right now if it was handed to me with a five million dollar a year guaranteed contract. There is no way we are going to fix the problems we have right now. The public wants the deficit reduced but they don't want the government to touch their medicair or social security. They want and hire cheap labor knowing full well that they are illegal then bitch about too many illegals in the country. You just have to look at California to see how ****ed up the electorate of this counrty is. They vote for every benifit the government can provide and then vote down the taxes to pay for those services. Until the people in this contry learn a little about what government can and cannot do and about what it actualy means to be an American citizen, this counrty will take a fast dive into the **** storm. The best thing for the republican party would be to let Obama win then blame what is comming on him just as the republican party has been doing. Otherwise the republican president with the support of the house will get the blame for what is inevitable.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The truth of the matter is that it doesn't matter who gets in. I would not accept the presidency right now if it was handed to me with a five million dollar a year guaranteed contract. There is no way we are going to fix the problems we have right now. The public wants the deficit reduced but they don't want the government to touch their medicair or social security. They want and hire cheap labor knowing full well that they are illegal then bitch about too many illegals in the country. You just have to look at California to see how ****ed up the electorate of this counrty is. They vote for every benifit the government can provide and then vote down the taxes to pay for those services. Until the people in this contry learn a little about what government can and cannot do and about what it actualy means to be an American citizen, this counrty will take a fast dive into the **** storm. The best thing for the republican party would be to let Obama win then blame what is comming on him just as the republican party has been doing. Otherwise the republican president with the support of the house will get the blame for what is inevitable.
:agree:99%. I don't agree with the part about keeping Obama because Obamacare is going to add to the debt problem. We must reverse that before it takes hold to have a chance in hell of fixing our debt problem.

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
:agree:99%. I don't agree with the part about keeping Obama because Obamacare is going to add to the debt problem. We must reverse that before it takes hold to have a chance in hell of fixing our debt problem.
And if you get rid of Obama care and the **** still hits the fan who will get the blame??? It will just make a better case for single payer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts