Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Close to where I live, there is a perfectly paved 4-lane road with 6 "S" curves. Everytime I drive on it, I love to take the curves as fast as I can. There is a BIG question I have....Whenever I take the curves around 60 mph (35-40 mph is considered a safe speed), I notice the car sort of "hops" a little. It stays the course (hugs the lane) but it just (for lack of better words) "hops" during the critical part of the curves.

Now, whenever I drive my wifes BMW Z3 or my Honda Civic Si, on the same stretch of road, the cars handle as smooth as silk.

As far as the suspension on the Vette...(all within the past 7 months) all new Bilstein HD shocks in the 4 corners, complete front end bushing replacement, and new tires (R235x15x60). The only thing that I haven't replaced is the rear spring. But from all indications, the spring seems to be in very good condition.

Why do the "hops" occur? Can it be fixed? How? OR is that an inherent trait for a 1975? Any help will be appreciated!!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
can you tell if it's in the front end or the rear? Even with all new bushings up front it could still be in the steering. Otherwise, something could be loose in the rear suspension (such as missing shims at the front of the trailing arm). Are there any other times you feel this "hop"? Is your posi working?

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Need more info on the "hop". Is it the rear hopping side ways, the whole car trying to drift? Front pushing out?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would lay money on your diff yokes are worn and it will cause camber change as you give it a lot of sideways force. Remember that the half shaft is in the middle of your wheel so any sideways movement you double and that is what your wheel gets. My 79 has about 3mm(1/8) yoke wear and when i push it through a roundabout it steps out on the rear real quick scaring the hell out of me!

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
Sounds like the car is losing grip, particularly the front is pushing. You may want to trail brake in those corners to get a little more weight on the nose for turn-in. Sure, your suspension could be set up all wrong, rear could be sagging, or parts could be worn out, but we talk about that crap all the time. Let's talk about proper corner entry! :laughing:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts