Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 81 has 43k on her and is a 4-speed.

The clutch pedal seems on the somewhat hard side,free play is perfect 1-1.5" abd the tranny shifts smooth,and skipping and chatter.

I lubed all the linkage pivot points,as well as the cross shaft fitting.

No binding at all,just a pretty hard pedal effort.
Some say this is normal for a mechanical clutch with v8. Maybe the small clutch pedal makes it seem worse. Others I know say it is not.

Any advice,and or opinions etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Later, Ken

·
Registered
879 Posts
Hey Ken,

If you are accustomed to driving lets say, a Honda with a stick shift, then your Corvette clutch is going to feel like a U-Haul truck in comparison. Lots of these cars have had aftermarket performance parts installed too. I hope that helps!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Like D V 8 mentioned, the majority of newer cars have hydraulic clutch assemblies that make pedal effort nill. Yours is old school two foot effort. :D Especially if your running a heavy duty 11'...or 3 finger Borg & Beck style...or dual friction etc... Just get into the gym and build up those legs :laughing:
I have found that changing the clutch return spring can reduce pedal effort, but being very carefull not to go TOO soft.
Eddie

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The factory clutch and some aftermarket clutches are not hard to depress. Try to see how another C-3 clutch pedal feels. One symptom of clutch failure is an increase in pedal effort over time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im wondering if the clutch failure is a factor,I dont think so as, the clutch has no chatter or slippage,only 43k all original.

I did get a new return spring,and am going to pop it on this weekend.

As far as the legs go thats no problem (I run 4 miles daily,6 times a week)

Its the slight discomfort on the ball of the left foot,(wearing New Balance running shoes most of the time) when depressing the clutch a lot.

Someone else suggested that the throw out bearing might be dry.

Ken

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Im wondering if the clutch failure is a factor,I dont think so as, the clutch has no chatter or slippage,only 43k all original.

I did get a new return spring,and am going to pop it on this weekend.

As far as the legs go thats no problem (I run 4 miles daily,6 times a week)

Its the slight discomfort on the ball of the left foot,(wearing New Balance running shoes most of the time) when depressing the clutch a lot.

Someone else suggested that the throw out bearing might be dry.

Ken
I would compare it to some other similar cars if you can as mentioned above. That's exactly how the clutch in my mother's car felt... just before I pulled it out and saw the bent fingers of the pressure plate that looked something like a crow's foot...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts