Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas as to what would cause fuel pressure at the rail to not hold one second, and then two minute later stay up? New fuel pump, no codes, fuses good, car will start but idles rough, and strong smell (unspent fuel?) coming from exhaust, again it would seem something in the fuel delivery/injectors is out of whack. If fuel pressure was normal, I'd suspect optispark, but with pressure holding, then not holding, then holding again, I'm not sure. Car was running perfect last week, then died and has not been right since. It's a 94 6 spd lt1 68K miles. Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Its a long shot and ive seen it on very old cars. There may be something in your tank causing a blockage at the pickup tube. The old gag was to put a small, partially inflated ballon into someones tank. What would happen is when they drive eveything would be normal, then once the balloon got near the pickup the car would die. I have also seen, on my 1971 cutlass, small formations that look like rocks that grew inside my tank. To find that I had to pull my tank and just shake it around. Dont know how much help this is. good luck

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
Any ideas as to what would cause fuel pressure at the rail to not hold one second, and then two minute later stay up? New fuel pump, no codes, fuses good, car will start but idles rough, and strong smell (unspent fuel?) coming from exhaust, again it would seem something in the fuel delivery/injectors is out of whack. If fuel pressure was normal, I'd suspect optispark, but with pressure holding, then not holding, then holding again, I'm not sure. Car was running perfect last week, then died and has not been right since. It's a 94 6 spd lt1 68K miles. Thanks.

Hearing your symptoms I'd say Fuel :thumbsup: Pressure Regulator.

·
Registered
240 Posts
im having similar problems with my 87. changed MAF, both relays, and fuel pump relay. smell will burn your eyes. i was told look into the catalytic converter but seems people are just stabbing in the dark like me. :thud:

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
all the limited info makes me think,....leaky head gasket or cracked head....possiably a bad water pump or clogged exhaust....all reasonably simple but time consuming repairs, some more expensive than others...
you might want to have a leak down test,
and exhaust back pressure test,a vacuum test on the engine,
and a radiator pressure test,
have your distributors timing curve tested
check your timing with a timing light,
verify the TDC and timing tab and damper all are correct,
have those tests done if the source is not obvious.
simply checking the plugs condition might tell a good deal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts