Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way for me to install my harmonic balancer? A little background: I should have done this a long time ago, but being a impatient 17 year old i wanted to drop the engine on the frame and look at its beauty. So, i have the transmission bolted onto the back of the block, and i had watched some youtube videos of a guy who stuck the end of a hammer in the crank to stop the crank from turning while he was installing the balancer. So my question is, what is the best way to install my balancer with my situation? could i just put the trans in park? i hav the body off, so i have plenty of room in front of the engine. Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I've always had mine in park and used a installer kit that I've rented from autozone (never returned the kit though:laughing:) and didn't need to hold the flexplate/flywheel while installing. Easy job to do while you have more access. If it starts to turn have someone hold the teeth of the flexplate/flywheel with a prybar or the special tool made to hold it. Hope that helps and good luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet thanks! Thats what i had figured in my mind but just wanted to make sure with the pros! Ill try that out tomorow and let you guys know how it was!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I don't recommend using the snout bolt to install the balancer.

Use the proper installation tool...you can rent it at Autozone...and using that kit there is no need to keep the engine from spinning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts